Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Terrain breakthroughs!

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

XOOMOne of the biggest road blocks this new CRS team has had, was the ability to introduce new Terrain. While we still have some work to do, we are now moments away from getting NEWLY UPDATED TERRAIN into a testing environment, using a modified version of the terrain that is currently being used in game at this moment. Read more to see what we'll be doing with terrain, and what that actually means "big picture" wise to WWII Online.

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=-jFoc5hQz0E:ONvwHxjYv3g:gIN9vFwOqvQ eKII?i=-jFoc5hQz0E:ONvwHxjYv3g:V_sGLiPBpWU eKII?i=-jFoc5hQz0E:ONvwHxjYv3g:F7zBnMyn0Lo
-jFoc5hQz0E

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

• Like 1

Awesome!!!!

I really am looking forward to the old bunker bring back in the game.

I hope you you put more destroyed building in that allow infantry to be harder to see; lots of things to hide behind and variegated colors to make them harder to see.  

I see merlin51 has a pic of the box in his sig but how about some "pre-alpha" pics!!.........or I call foul!  :lol:

Edited by bmw

Avesnes, missing buildings located.
Ground pressure not tested prior to construction
7b4Z7kO.png

Now after a 27 million dollar renovation project entailing much excavation, several thousand hydraulic
lift cylinders 12 thousand rough men and a lot of landscapers…

2nKr895.png

Pay no attention to the man who decided it was a good idea to paradrop without being a paratrooper.

Something coming
fuUGjlT.png

What might it be?
wGAHO3B.png

Looks dangerous
wi9aCoc.png

Will this end well?
cs8Hftr.png

The one thing that popped into my head that I'm not sure I like about splitting up towns where they can have multiple owners is that we seem to have a big problem with newer players not realizing when a battle is over and hanging around in town and still trying to kill each other.  I'm sure this is good fun, but what happens when you just have to cross a bridge to get to enemy players.  I'm wondering if supply of these towns would dwindle quickly and end up being a battle between 10 soldiers on each side and just be a big stalemate half the time.

Past that, I like the idea!  :D

EXPLORING SPLITTING UP BIGGER TOWNS ... One of the cool things we'd like to do is to take a big town and divide its ownership up a bit. (...) our initial investigation suggests it may be doable. 

So it's possible to modify internal elements of the strat mesh...the linkages and the corresponding database?

Doc used to say it was easy to add stuff around the edges of the strat mesh, but impossible (then, anyway, maybe due to resource limits) to change anything internal to the mesh.

Is it possible yet to substitute one replacement tile for another, or for a standard tile?

Is it possible yet to modify a tile from the replacement tile set?

Is it possible yet to build new replacement tiles, and thus eventually a new tile set?

Is it possible to use higher-bit-count terrain textures?

Edited by jwilly

7 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Its called Italy and Sweden :) 

Now THAT would be interesting, implementing Sweden in the alps :huh:

@jwillywhile we are still in the early stages of what can be done, tile sets can be modified as has been demonstrated with the christmas theme. We are still in the exploratory process with what exactly can be done without completely breaking things though. 

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

Doc used to say it was easy to add stuff around the edges of the strat mesh, but impossible (then, anyway, maybe due to resource limits) to change anything internal to the mesh.

DOC was and is correct.
I wont go into detail cause you definitely dont want that wall O text, but there is no tool for doing it, it was never meant to be done, it isnt designed to have it done.
It's a long drawn out adventure in insanity done externally by hand piece by piece, which resulted in quite a few failed attempts where the entire city vanished as in POOF gone without a trace, thank god for backups.

Won't fully know how it plays out until SCKING and his merry band tear it apart and try to break it in testing the concept.

Adding to what SCKING said, tiles if you mean the ground roads rivers etc, have always been changeable.
They have changed drastically throughout the life of the game in some cases.
roads with A13 eating ditches, roads with no ditches, impenetrable iron forests, actual trees, 20 billion miles of concert barricade fence lined rivers, to climbable banks to not so climbable banks etc.

2 hours ago, Hardlead said:

Now THAT would be interesting, implementing Sweden in the alps 

Well, they are in the French Swedish Italian border area
which are actually in the game, just not populated...
...Yet

Kick the game up offline, drag the map around and turn on the mouse pointer info
go to the far edges of the land mass and start tossing those lat / lon coords into google earth.
There are a lot of places on the map that we just dont think about, because there isnt any towns there.

Way back when the game 1st came out, we used to do dumb stuff, like hop in an opel at 2am and drive to italy
and pray you didnt CTD or CTHL back then too LOL (trucks never ran out of gas back then)
Why? no idea. I took an R35 to the alps once, you dont want to know how long it took to get it there, how i didnt cthl or ctd ive no idea

5 hours ago, rinzello said:

The one thing that popped into my head that I'm not sure I like about splitting up towns where they can have multiple owners is that we seem to have a big problem with newer players not realizing when a battle is over and hanging around in town and still trying to kill each other.  I'm sure this is good fun, but what happens when you just have to cross a bridge to get to enemy players.  I'm wondering if supply of these towns would dwindle quickly and end up being a battle between 10 soldiers on each side and just be a big stalemate half the time.

Past that, I like the idea!  :D

If you capture one sector of antwerp and think you are calling it a day and the majority owner is going to let it ride like that, yea probably not so much :) 

1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

Well, they are in the French Swedish Italian border area
which are actually in the game, just not populated...
...Yet

I thought you were pulling my leg, guess not 

main-qimg-770d0a178065e8f032dd8577c05e90

6 hours ago, Hardlead said:

I thought you were pulling my leg, guess not 

main-qimg-770d0a178065e8f032dd8577c05e90

Actually, my brain was dead, Switzerland for alps area, apparently i was pulling my own leg even.
maybe i should sleep more eh? Major mental dyslexia aside...

Sweden is of course here in game
p70ldC4.png?1

and swITzerland (not to be mistaking with sWEDenland) is here
Al8kkXt.png

And we have detected illegal entry into the war from here
UdWiKFC.png

All well merlin.

This is standing joke in Sweden:

Americans cant tell the difference between Switzerland and Sweden, but no on think its for real. Just a joke...

That is until proven wrong.........

Hmmm, sounds good.

So, first fix all the AI bugs reported, crates reported, and buildings reported.

Then, we need some naval construction:

Add AB to Den Haag
Add town link from Staven to Brouwer
Move Kiel to correct location
Make Kiel deep water port and add AB
Add deep water port Den Helder with AB
Add deep water port Wilhshaven with AB
Add deep water port Haugesund with AB
Add deep water port Kristiansand with AB
Add deep water port Horten with AB
Make Brest deep water port with AB
Add Cherbourg deep water port with AB

Also, be nice if every axis port had the new 37mm AA gun emplaced near it as AA AI in addition to the LMGs and occasion Flak 30s.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, delems said:

Add AB to Den Haag

If you do that, den haag will probably become a viable cap object
Its made like it is for now to assure KM always has a port to use.
Later sure, but not till there are more options.

38 minutes ago, delems said:

Also, be nice if every axis port had the new 37mm AA gun emplaced near it as AA AI in addition to the LMGs and occasion Flak 30s.

Axis (and allied) has bigger AI flak than that
The models are misleading though, in the old versions of the game i seem to recall we had a few more visual flak models?
Personally id like to use the models we players use, you'd have to add one allied model as they dont have a player model large AA gun like the 88

On 2/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, Hardlead said:

Americans cant tell the difference between Switzerland and Sweden

Sure we can
Swiss girls serve you hot coco and chocolate bars
Swedish girls serve you beer and meatballs naked

*** If you do that, den haag will probably become a viable cap object

Nope, you need CPs to capture a town.  And I said just add AB, not any CPs :)

It also isn't linked to anything, so can't be AOd regardless of ABs or CPs atm.

• 3 months later...

There is over 4,000 man hours in the game world, from a terrain building point of view. It's part of why I'm insane, or part of why it was my man hours that went into it. My advice is just don't go insane Merlin. Having a bar nearby is pretty handy I found. I hope you get the last update I did into the live game, some of it was pretty interesting with respect to town layout expansions I did. Closed a couple of "can't attack in that direction" loopholes that bugged people for years. Links ya know. ;) 

• Like 2

• CORNERED RAT
11 minutes ago, DOC said:

There is over 4,000 man hours in the game world, from a terrain building point of view. It's part of why I'm insane, or part of why it was my man hours that went into it. My advice is just don't go insane Merlin. Having a bar nearby is pretty handy I found. I hope you get the last update I did into the live game, some of it was pretty interesting with respect to town layout expansions I did. Closed a couple of "can't attack in that direction" loopholes that bugged people for years. Links ya know. ;) 

Given what we've had to do just to get to this point, I've got some respect for you for all the BS you had to go through. I wish you were able to get some more dev time previously to prevent this horrible painful thing being where it's at today. Good on you for making the best out of a very tough ordeal. S! 

Also, good to see you here in the forums.

• Like 1