Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Tutorial Missions

atirons

As a noob playing the game I sometimes don't understand why we do things.

For instance what makes an objective or Cp more important than others. I know it has to do with supply. Spawn points, or whatever.
High Command makes all the decisions for Attack and Defense orders but never explain why in detail to us new guys.
I don't see the overall objective in most cases.

Is it possible to get some kind of mission statement informing us of 'why', when we join a mission, like "Where attacking this town and this cp because..."   Mission leaders rarely if ever say anything about it.

We need clear mission and objective tasks also. "Just spawn in and take CP's" don't help me much. "What CP, why that CP?" what happens if I take another CP?

Ideally there would be tutorial missions or tasks to complete before we jump into battle. Hopping on the training server only showed me how to use stuff. Not how supply depots work in conjunction with other towns or forward bases. Or supply at all for that matter. Im so lost.

A few are willing to explain it to me. I appreciate that. But do I have to join a squad or a discord? Is verbally, from another player the only way to get this information?
Most of the vids are outdated and even then, don't cover these topics.

Thx for all your help everyone and letting me rant! I look forward to seeing you In Game!

12 minutes ago, atirons said:

As a noob playing the game I sometimes don't understand why we do things.

For instance what makes an objective or Cp more important than others. I know it has to do with supply. Spawn points, or whatever.
High Command makes all the decisions for Attack and Defense orders but never explain why in detail to us new guys.

Is it possible to get some kind of mission statement informing us of 'why', when we join a mission, like "Where attacking this town and this cp because..."   Mission leaders rarely if ever say anything about it.

We need clear mission and objective tasks also. "Just spawn in and take CP's" don't help me much. "What CP, why that CP?" what happens if I take another CP?

Ideally there would be tutorial missions or tasks to complete before we jump into battle. Hopping on the training server only showed me how to use stuff. Not how supply depots work in conjunction with other towns or forward bases. Or supply at all for that matter. Im so lost.

A few are willing to explain it to me. I appreciate that. But do I have to join a squad or a discord? Is verbally, from another player the only way to get this information?

Thx for all your help everyone and letting me rant! I look forward to seeing you In Game!

A lot of this can be very dynamic, and you have to kind of hang loose a bit and be ready to shift as need dictates.

Some basics though.
When attacking, many times you will find a depot marked as A1
Some times the mission leaders do not type in any further details
But usually you will find A1 to be a depot that links to the town you are attacking from.
By capturing it, not only do you begin the countdown until the AB bunker becomes capturable, but you gain the ability to spawn into the town directly
though with a limited amount of equipment.

Now as i said, you have to remain flexible
Sometimes, the enemy is too strongly guarding the spawnable depot, and so you might find priorities adjusted, to perhaps capturing the towns INCOMING
supply depots, to cut it's ability to resupply, or towards capturing and holding an easier to take objective, maybe a city flag, to get the AB bunker into capture mode.
Sometimes, a depot that is of little supply use, but is a distance from town, making the defenders have to cross open ground to reclaim it, which can make it easier for you to keep hold of.

Mission leaders do have the ability to add detailed notes to most everything.
They can create mission notes explaining the mission, they can rename objectives as well as add notes to them
and even map contact reports can have detailed notes.

I wish we could make better use of that, but sometimes time does not allow for it, things moving too quickly.

As for the AO itself, why are we attacking town A
That does not presently have a means to add detail, but you can type .HC to see what commanders are online, and ask one of them
and most will try to explain, though chat can get busy sometimes, so if you can ask them on discord, it may work out easier.
There can be many reasons for why an attack is, so there is never a cut and dried answer.

Supply presently works in the most simple of forms

Your equipment comes from the factories, if your town can draw a line of interconnecting depots from it to a factory, the town is in supply
and will receive replacement units etc.
If that supply line is cut, the town wont receive any new units to replace lost ones, if the towns that your location connects through to get to the factory
are lost, then your town is cut off and displays a white flag, and you can get no supply even if you own all your depots.
The only supply you could get is what ever units you deliver to the town yourself, by walking driving of flying them in.

If after a period of time, you can not get your supply lines reconnected, the town will surrender.

Start small, only worry about your immediate tactical, your mission per se.
Once you begin to understand various situations at that level, the wider scale view becomes easier to grasp, this was probably about the level of understanding the average soldier
dealt with in real life, the over all picture was beyond most, no real time, nor perspective to contemplate it, that was the job of generals, their job was the what am i doing here and now.

Ask lots as things are very dynamic, discord can be better than text chat, because i can explain to you while running away from mean guys with guns
It is good to be in with a squad, even if you eventually wind up in another squad, because most squads have several people in them that have been in this game since day 1 or close to it, and so have had years to learn stuff and figure things out and can explain it in ways that make sense.

Good questions and great time for it, as some actual ingame priorites are shifting and being learned / re-learned by all of us with 1.36 patch and addition of static garrisoned front line towns and fewer moveable brigade units than before. 

Think Merlin answered a lot above and noted the shifting dynamics of the game overall and the in game specifics on AOs and missions. 

A few more comments on your specific questions: and I'm sure other players have more, better insights either here or in game - don't be afraid to ask any question on discord or on ops chat. 

13 hours ago, atirons said:

CPS: usually the most important to cap is a spawnable CP (ie. linked to a town owned by your side ie. if attacking Gent from Lokeren, say your side would want to cap the Lokeren Cp in Gent first, or eventually) because you could then spawn directly from the depot beside that CP in town using the supply from Lokeren rather than walking in from FMS).  Better if there are more than one spawnable CPs in a town too, because more supply and more spawners inside the town.

And/but sometimes enemy link cps are important to capture as well, for example,  attacking Gent from Lokeren and behind Gent, the town of Aalter is enemy owned and has a moveable brigade in it - your side might want to capture that cp as well, to prevent the moving in of that additional supply. 

Most HC will explain or outline briefly why attacking a town is important but a look at the map will also tell  you;  usually attack town to which you have more than one link (more supply on attack) or attack a town that is a major xroads, ie. has a lot of roads/towns linked to it like Signy, Chimay, Maubeuge - there are many of these. Sometimes its to get next to an Airfield, sometimes to get a foothold on or across a riverline. 

And/but other times especially when there are 2 or more AOs/Attack Objectives one is important (they call it P1) like a multi-link or xroads town and the other (say P2) is a distraction or 'mole' (often big towns) to pull enemy players away from P1). Again, you can always ask why or complain in chat - most of us do if its not clear - especially the complaining part. 

Many Mission Leaders (MLs) are remiss (including me sometimes) in not putting orders in the mission - these orders if written can be seen -  i) before  you spawn in, on the mission screen and ii) at the top of your HUD in green. Minimum, MLs should get used to putting the direction and distance to town of their FMS.  MLs can/should/often do mark CPs in a town in order of priority (with red waypoints, A1, A2, etc) and sometimes blue waypoints (R1, R2, etc) as a path or direction to town from the MS either for cover, to avoid AI, or avoid giving away the FMS.  (command for this, if a Mission Leader, is /orders or .orders <txt> ) 

Also helpful is if MLs put in specific txt to the mission if it is not a traditional FMS to attack a town,  ie: 'this is a FB Bust/use another mission for town' or 'Zone of Control (ZOC) mission at the xroads south of town' or  "DFMS (defensive FMS) west of town to hunt ets and EFMS' (enemy FMS).  As usual, ask and complain if its not clear or PM your ML. 

See above re spawnable or supply-linked CPs.  But basically, its never wrong to cap or recap or guard ANY CP - either on attack or defense. Any CP with a spawn Depot (these all have town names) are more of a priority than 'facility' cps without a depot attached (ie. CITY CP, Railroad Stations, Cigar Factory, Brewery) because well, either your side, or the other side can spawn from them or warp to them. (warp is another topic for another long boring thread).  

Thought there were some tutorials, but perhaps like most games, they are kind of basic and  useless. Joining a squad or getting on discord is good.  Most will explain if asked and/or attach yourself to a vet or two who is willing to teach/talk through some points. Like all of us when we first started playing - its a complex layered game - take your time, watch, observe, ask a lot and die a lot. (at least, I did).

Welcome to WWII Online and see you in game. If you need to ask more questions or blame someone, Merlin51 is good for both. 

Edited by sorella

On 4/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, atirons said:

S! Welcome to the game a great questions. The best way I could explain this is that many of the ingame tasks to veteran players come as second nature as for example you would cross the street for the walking man sign and stop for the red hand sign. So for example we know which CP to attack based on (often years) of experience.

That said it would be good if the tutorial were expanded so that they explain how the game works and not really basic stuff like how to throw a grenade etc etc. At this point in time the best way to go is to get together with a squad or ask a question over the general chat and start PM'ing a veteran player via the .m command over ingame chat. Many of us vets are always willing to help out new players, so don't feel bad about asking any questions. This is honestly one of the nicest communities out there and lots of us want to help new players out and enjoy the game since we know how hard it came be being a new guy.

Atirons, that is an Outstanding question and gets to the heart of any massively multi-player online game but is particularly critical in th THIS game which has the largest World War II gamemap on the planet!  Thanks for asking..........

• B2K locked and unlocked this topic