Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Increasing render distance/ Visibility

Quincannon

Hi all. Not sure why it took me this long to realize I had an issue. Maybe it's my computer,

We were having a discussion in the Harbour about how ships fight at 5 Km and it occurred to me that I haven't ever had that kind of visibility. So i went online in both a Fairmile and a DD. I used a Guard tower on the sea wall as a vis target and set sail. I had the same issue in both units: My max visibility at sea seems to be about 3.7 Km. At that distance, I not only did I lose sight of the target, but I couldn't even see the coast at all.

I checked game settings and found no option to increase my render distance. I checked the Wiki and didn't see anything either. What can I do here?

Someone suggested hitting F10 but all that did was make my screen flash brightly for a second.

How far away do you render other ships/boats?

Object classes each have a greatest interaction distance. My understanding is that's the maximum distance at which they render for others that are capable of seeing them at that distance, as well as the distance at which they can render the others if they're capable of doing so. For an interaction between two different classes, the rendering limit-distance is the lesser of the two classes' maximum interaction distances.

• Registered Users

Quincannon , Vis distance for DD's and Fmb's is around 6k+ and towers are slightly less .

f10 reduces the distance by about 1.5k each key press .

I would say you might have an issue with  your f10 key or mapping to it . It also might have something to do with your video settings.

9 hours ago, tr6al said:

Quincannon , Vis distance for DD's and Fmb's is around 6k+ and towers are slightly less .

f10 reduces the distance by about 1.5k each key press .

I would say you might have an issue with  your f10 key or mapping to it . It also might have something to do with your video settings.

I'm really not sure what to do then. Nothing I can find in the settings even refers to F10,,, so I have no way to access or reset it.
My settings are pretty much maxed with the exception of no radial clutter when flying.

However, and I'm not trying to be argumentative (I truly appreciate your help) 3.7 KM is more than a little less than even 5KM.

10 hours ago, jwilly said:

How far away do you render other ships/boats?

Object classes each have a greatest interaction distance. My understanding is that's the maximum distance at which they render for others that are capable of seeing them at that distance, as well as the distance at which they can render the others if they're capable of doing so. For an interaction between two different classes, the rendering limit-distance is the lesser of the two classes' maximum interaction distances.

Unfortunately I have no way of testing that unless I find someone who has the time to help me test it out. I do know that, as I said, in the past, I have seen shots from enemy ships coming at me without ever seeing the ships to return fire. Now if the towers can only detect to 3.7 Km  that would explain what i have found so far, but I have no way to know.

10 hours ago, tr6al said:

It also might have something to do with your video settings.

I'm running s NVidia GeForceGTX970 at 1360x768x32 resolution.

Upon double checking.. I found 2 references to F10. Both mentioned Offline.
One said "External Rubberbanding" and the other said "Change field of view". I was unable to find any other mention of F10 in the game Preferences.

• Registered Users

Its the change field of view . The other is (left control) and f10. It says offline but works the same online .

You could try to change the Field of view to another function key such as f11 . You most likely have a conflict with another program that is active in the background .

I can get on training server with you almost any time . I have a meeting for the next hour and can get on after that .

Edited by tr6al