Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

British Mortar Audit Required

greyman

Was doing some testing on the mortars the last couple days and it quickly became apparent that there is something quite börked with the 2-inch mortar.

It appears that many--if not most--of the range settings do not produce a shot that relates to what is desired. In two cases is completely broken.

Very brief testing of the 2-inch mortar with the Para soldier indicates everything is working OK except for the 50m and 60m HE bomb distances -- which are again completely broken.

I very briefly tried the other countries' mortars and while they didn't seem way off -- there was enough of a difference here and there that I think it might be worth looking into with proper CRS testing/tools.

Below is not a completely exhaustive trial but enough to point out something is wrong.

Range Setting == MPI Distance from Firing Point
50m setting == 870m MPI
60m setting == 870m MPI
70m setting == 95m MPI
80m setting == 82m MPI
90m setting == 72m MPI
100m setting == 125m MPI

120m setting == 107m MPI

140m setting == 150m MPI --|-- smoke 85m MPI
150m setting == 140m MPI
160m setting == 120m MPI --|-- smoke 150m MPI
170m setting == 184m MPI

190m setting == 165m MPI --|-- smoke 92m MPI

210m setting == 206m MPI --|-- smoke 117m MPI
220m setting == 198m MPI --|-- smoke 116m MPI

240m setting == 238m MPI
250m setting == 230m MPI

290m setting == 312m MPI --|-- 292m MPI

310m setting == 288m MPI

440m setting == 450m MPI --|-- smoke 260m MPI

500m setting == 500m MPI

Edited by greyman
  • Like 1

• CORNERED RAT

For incident reproduction purposes - what was the process/methodology to getting those ranges ?  

Wow, tried it. Awesome, we need medium mortars. ;)

HE went way far, no range data, but something in the ballpark above. Smoke was about where I'd expect (live server).

Town edge was maybe 750m, HE landed inside town.

Edited by tater

I walked from the firing point to the MPI (eyeballed) using the [T] key (2 metres per second) and a stopwatch.

I used the 1km ring in the game, and moved where I thought I might have eyeballed the town edge to 870m, but all my rounds landed in town, heard bangs, didn't see them so I guess I was closer to 750m from the edge.

Tried it, everything seemed normal. There must be some sequence of events that causes it to behave so oddly then, rather than the weapon itself is bugged.

Also grayman, a more accurate way of doing it, is to just create a waypoint where you are firing the mortars from, and then when you run out to each MPI just open the map and hover over the waypoint and it will tell you the accurate distance.

Edit: Re-read original post and noticed it was the PARA 2inch'er. Tested it and yea, seems pretty borkenburg

Edited by saffroli

I made a Waypoint where I was standing and moved away from the waypoint, set a second waypoint 250m away from the first, went back to my original waypoint.  Spawned my second account Axis and drove out and set an FMS and put a Heer where the 2nd way point was.

Mortars are VERY inaccurate.

I have a video of what I did, I'm working on editing it down to show how I checked ranges and measurements.

I would have done more but some 4$$#0L3 spawned in and killed my mortarman twice in a row on the training server.

I was using the normal UK mortar, not para. Smokes set to 60m landed close, 60m HE seems to land in town more than 760m away.

Just retested. Std Brit mortar. 60m drops smoke close, 60m HE sends it way across Brussels AF.

Short Video of testing French mortar, here was a 10m miss, a 3m miss, then a 3m kill.  Yesterday biggest miss was 14m, and the average seems to be +/- 7m.  Most within 3m did no damage, one 5m did about 15% damage (still able to sprint).   Many of the 2m did not kill, I would call dropping a round within 2m about a 50/50 proposition.

xJoxkJy.png

I spawned my main and drove from aarschot to the Diest FB on the training server.  I set up an FMS and spawned a NCO and set up a Cache, spawned a mortar and made a Waypoint (Bomb Here) ensuring I was centered in the Waypoint, near the cache, then spawned my towing as a Ammo Bearer.  From my mark I moved 250m down the road and made a second mark.  I put fox holes on either side of the road as a reference.  I then went back and centered my Brit mortar in my first mark and used the ammo bearer to load him up.  I then despawned the towing account and spawned it back in Axis at the Diest FB.  Set up an FMS just past where I made the Fox Holes, Spawned a Heer and moved down the road and centered him on my Brit Mortar, made a Waypoint (Bomb Here) ensuring I was centered on my Brit Mortar then I moved 250m from there back to the foxholes and made another Waypoint (Bomb Here) 250m from where the Brit Mortar was, I ensured I was centered in the new Waypoint.

I tabbed back to the brit mortar  and used my rifle site to site onto my Heer, and dropped smoke rounds.  I would move my Heer from the Waypoint (Bomb Here) Red Square on the chart and check the map from my waypoint to get the distance.   I repeated the process 10 times.  Each round I charted on a spreadsheet.  You'll see rounds four and seven landed in almost identical spots, as did rounds three and five as die rounds one and six.  The longest was 10 at 17 meters.  The Closest was round two at seven meters.  Each time I would reset my position using my waypoints on the map, ensuring I was in the center and 250m from the Brit Mortar (Brit Mortar Bomb Here Waypoint).

I would have done more but alt-tabbing back and forth between the two accounts, my main disconnected.

Tomorrow I'll try live rounds.

I never moved the brit mortar after I sighted it, I just would tab back and drop the round.

Smoke always drifted toward the and to my right (Target/Heer) and away from and to the left of the mortar.  Heer was facing east, mortar facing west so drift was west by south

11 hours ago, tater said:

I was using the normal UK mortar, not para. Smokes set to 60m landed close, 60m HE seems to land in town more than 760m away.

Weird, for me UK mortar was fine, para mortar was a different story

11 minutes ago, saffroli said:

Weird, for me UK mortar was fine, para mortar was a different story

Wonder if it is client dependent?

I'm running on my Mac these days (my son has taken over my old PC).

1 hour ago, tater said:

Wonder if it is client dependent?

I'm running on my Mac these days (my son has taken over my old PC).

32bit windows here

Edited by saffroli

I should probably try the para mortar. I didn't do much testing, I just spawned mortar, set range to 60m, then fired 1 smoke, then a few HE. Smoke lands close, all the HE goes way far.

I'll screenshot my Bomb Here waypoints with my toons in them, so you can see how I've worked to center them in the marks.  This is how I've been checking my distances.   Greyman said he was using a stopwatch and was getting 1/2 meter measurements.   For my side to side measurements I would side step from my initial point until I was lined up where the projectile landed get that distance then move to the point of impact for that measurement.

If someone has other suggestions for measurements I'd like to hear them.

Each Time I would reset my toon centered in the Bomb Here Waypoint and then check the distance to the original waypoint ensuring I was 250m distant.

Thank you for the information everyone. Right now we are trying to finish up testing our next release but will try and take a look at it afterwards.