Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Unflyable Plane- Controls All Haywire- Not a Joystick Issue

zippy

As soon as I spawn in and engage the joystick, I get extremes of surface controls with even the slightest touch and they stay put. For example, 90% right aileron, 95% right rudder, 85% elevator up. These numbers once hit will stay as they are. If I do something else with the stick, it subtracts the new movement from whatever the values above are, but as soon as I start to ease up on the stick, it rushes to reach these extremes again. If I leave the stick immediately, it'll be back to these numbers (90 r ail, 95 r rudder, and 85 elev in this example)

Is not a joystick issue, I opened it up 3 times and recentered everything just to be safe. Also tested the stick in War Thunder. Working Fine.

Took me a while to figure out how to undo it. The only way it goes away is if I myself go along with the inputs and go full right aileron, full right rudder and full up elevator. Then when I release the stick, it goes back to normal and things work fine for the rest of the sortie.

Next spawn? Same thing required again.

Screenshots of before and after ( I have mapped trims to respective controls so you can see the values in top right)

WW2-OL-20-06-2020-01-50-27-7520.png

WW2-OL-20-06-2020-01-50-56-0090.png

Same results again and again. Cannot figure out why this started happening

Edited by zippy

Correction: Not every sortie, only after restarting the game. 

I'll update soon on whether changing units will affect or not

nope, once it is fixed, it only happens again on game restart.

Edited by zippy

Any update on what is causing this? I was able to fix this as stated above by applying the same or more input in the direction of these initial sets, but now it is impossible. But, I still needed to do it everytime I started the game again.

Earlier it was only giving me right rudder preset (as in the screenshot), which I reset to neutral by applying full right rudder. However, now it has started giving me the same with left rudder. So in theory I would need to give full left rudder to neutralize this bug and make the plane fly normally again from then onwards. Only one problem, my olde joystick can only apply about 75-76% left rudder cuz it has worn off with time. 

Hence, I cannot get it upto the 85% left rudder or more that would neutralize and fix this issue.

This left side rudder just started randomly right now this last 190 sortie. My tail just kept sliding cuz the plane kept applying sharp left rudder randomly while this Hurri 1 was gaining on me as he tried to catch me lol. 

I need a fix for this please... I only pay a sub to fly, and if I can't do that, what is the point... As of this post, I can barely even take-off let alone do anything constructive, the plane is just eternally ruddering hard left...

Edited by zippy

1 hour ago, zippy said:

Any update on what is causing this? I was able to fix this as stated above by applying the same or more input in the direction of these initial sets, but now it is impossible. But, I still needed to do it everytime I started the game again.

Earlier it was only giving me right rudder preset (as in the screenshot), which I reset to neutral by applying full right rudder. However, now it has started giving me the same with left rudder. So in theory I would need to give full left rudder to neutralize this bug and make the plane fly normally again from then onwards. Only one problem, my olde joystick can only apply about 75-76% left rudder cuz it has worn off with time. 

Hence, I cannot get it upto the 85% left rudder or more that would neutralize and fix this issue.

This left side rudder just started randomly right now this last 190 sortie. My tail just kept sliding cuz the plane kept applying sharp left rudder randomly while this Hurri 1 was gaining on me as he tried to catch me lol. 

I need a fix for this please... I only pay a sub to fly, and if I can't do that, what is the point... As of this post, I can barely even take-off let alone do anything constructive, the plane is just eternally ruddering hard left...

I have one of these-

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/tflight-hotas-x

It's aging both in drivers and physically, and I was experiencing constant unwanted rudder action.

I ended up mapping the rudder to the throttle's axis, and I'm back on stable flight.

Yeah, but it isn't a joystick issue for me in that sense. It is an in-game problem.

So, once I can neutralize the constantly fixed controls at the start (as soon as I engage my joystick, even with the slightest touch, I get default full right aileron and rudder that is stuck, as in the first screenshot above). It stays locked at those settings. If I go the opposite direction for ail the controls, it only lasts while I have pressure on the stick. I need to apply full input in the direction of the problematic controls (Right aileron and right rudder in the screenshot is 86%, so to neutralize this issue, once I put in 86% right aileron and 86% right rudder or more, and the controls go back to normal i.e. close to 0% as seen in 2nd screenshot). Beyond this point as long as I am on the same game session, I can fly perfectly without any problems as this problem won't occur again until I restart the game. Hence, it cannot be a joystick issue. Plus, I have tested the stick in other Sims, working perfectly there.

The olde joystick part is that I don't have up to 85-95% left rudder control on the twisty anymore. Hence I cannot match the required input for this problem if it appears on the left rudder. Yes, I can map the rudder to the throttle to get better input and fix this bug for the rest of that gaming session, however, this would mean everytime I start the game, I have to change my rudder control to throttle for example, use the full input to neutralize the bug, then map it back to the twisty and go flying again. But to do this again and again each time I launch the game? Hence, I am just seeing if someone at CRS knows if they've experienced such reports before from other players. 

I cannot imagine a greentag or new player getting a bug like this, it would basically make it impossible to fly and they would not even know what is going on and why the plane is uncontrollable and they are having to wrestle with the controls.

Edited by zippy

47 minutes ago, zippy said:

Yeah, but it isn't a joystick issue for me in that sense. It is an in-game problem.

So, once I can neutralize the constantly fixed controls at the start (as soon as I engage my joystick, even with the slightest touch, I get default full right aileron and rudder that is stuck, as in the first screenshot above). It stays locked at those settings. If I go the opposite direction for ail the controls, it only lasts while I have pressure on the stick. I need to apply full input in the direction of the problematic controls (Right aileron and right rudder in the screenshot is 86%, so to neutralize this issue, once I put in 86% right aileron and 86% right rudder or more, and the controls go back to normal i.e. close to 0% as seen in 2nd screenshot). Beyond this point as long as I am on the same game session, I can fly perfectly without any problems as this problem won't occur again until I restart the game. Hence, it cannot be a joystick issue. Plus, I have tested the stick in other Sims, working perfectly there.

The olde joystick part is that I don't have up to 85-95% left rudder control on the twisty anymore. Hence I cannot match the required input for this problem if it appears on the left rudder. Yes, I can map the rudder to the throttle to get better input and fix this bug for the rest of that gaming session, however, this would mean everytime I start the game, I have to change my rudder control to throttle for example, use the full input to neutralize the bug, then map it back to the twisty and go flying again. But to do this again and again each time I launch the game? Hence, I am just seeing if someone at CRS knows if they've experienced such reports before from other players. 

I cannot imagine a greentag or new player getting a bug like this, it would basically make it impossible to fly and they would not even know what is going on and why the plane is uncontrollable and they are having to wrestle with the controls.

What joystick do you have? maybe there's someone else with the same problem

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

I know some guys who use this stick, no one else has this problem. I only got it after I started playing again on this baby Macbook Air of mine. All these years playing on PC and I never had any issues. That said, I have previously connected my joystick and played on the Macbook Air rarely and this issue never surfaced. Although, this was 3 years ago. Right now though, although I have a 64-bit capable processor, I am still running the 32-bit client because I was having installation troubles. This is probably unrelated to the problem, but I have found historically with this game, the fixes always come from what is logically not the obvious culprit, but from something random altogether lol.

I have reset some of the keyboard defaults for aileron and rudder, the one that the game uses for keyboard and mouse flyers, now I can fix even the left side input problems by mashing the desired key again and again until I get them to 85-95% left side rudder too. 

However, I am genuinely curious as to how to fix this who thing altogether.

Edited by zippy

Okay, so the left rudder issue that I couldn't fix and kept happening randomly just stopped after I reinstalled the game again. However, the original problem is still there.

Hence, I recorded what happens in a video as I try and lift during a new game session. How you have to wrestle with the plane as the controls keep wanting to go back to what they get stuck at as soon as I touch the joystick. During wrestling with the controls, I happen to hit the extreme values  required to neutralize the controls (look at trim setting at top left at the end of the first demonstration after I crash). Then see how flawlessly the joystick works for the 2nd.

I only recorded two short runs to show this, but the joystick would have kept working fine until I restart the game. Then same issue will show up again.

Edited by zippy