Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

StuH42 gun bug

TEX64

• Registered Users

In the off-line mode in the StuH42, I can fire accurately at range by counting the number of revolutions and "hours" on the elevation handle as long as I do NOT use the commander's ranging function.  Once I range the target thru the commander, everything is thrown off and I cannot use the revolutions/hours method to range the target.  It's like the gun has been adjusted in the cradle and only the range function accurately puts fire on the target.  It ONLY resets back to it's 'spawn setting" when I respawn and the revolution / hours then become accurate again.  That is a bug that needs to be addressed.

How to replicate the bug:

Go to the #3 position (gunner) and press N (which unlocks the avatar and allows you to look around inside the vehicle.

Orient your view to the small ELEVATION handle (not the traverse handle) and then with your joystick you can manipulate it toward you to INCREASE range and away from you to DECREASE range.  There are 20 revolutions on the elevation handle starting at 8 o'clock (if you imagine a clock face).

250m range - 3 revolutions then roll forward an additional 10 hours (to the 6 o'clock position)

500m range -  4 revolutions then roll forward an additional 11 hours (to the 7 o'clock position)

1000m range -  5 revolutions then roll forward an additional 2 hours (to the 10 o'clock position)

2400m range -  6 revolutions then roll forward an additional 7 hours (to the 3 o'clock position)

Once you use the range function at ANY time . . . you can no longer use this method until you respawn.

Why is that important?

Because if/when INDIRECT fire becomes a feature OUTSIDE of mortars and bombs, you need a way to fire at the target that is BEYOND the target reticle that you dial up when trying to hit a target.  I believe this method will allow the player base to do just that on the StuH42 as well as other gun platforms.  It's likely to be bugged on other gun platforms that have a range function, too.

!S,

tex

Interesting. Far as I know the rate of rotation is not scientifically calibrated against the historical counterpart. And I highly doubt that the switch issue can be resolved. How common is this method? Seems quite... specialized?

• Registered Users

Specialized?  Probably and so was the mortar and yet people figured out how to range, the lateral movement (and increase/decrease in range) to traverse fire, etc . . .  I doubt that I am the only person who has figured this out and I would be pleasantly surprised if it is historically based.  I just know that I was working on my gunnery in off-line mode then on a whim I counted the revolutions, looked up the elevation/depression stats, did the math from degrees to mills then some more math blah blah blah and the system worked.  Like a champ IF I don't use the range feature.  Something is happening because if it works one way then you use a function on the platform and it performs another way - isn't that a bug?

Look at it this way . . . if it can be corrected -- it could be a more efficient method for CRS to introduce indirect fire.  What other method could be used?  The gun reticles don't have that kind of range markings plus how do you notate the elevation of the gun?   It's not just the range but the elevation which makes indirect fire work.

I appreciate the reply.

Edited by tex64

Yeah it’s a bug/feature that the input reverts to default. I’ve seen it happen in other instances that involves crew switching.

You do have a range readout (plain text) however in the ui, if enabled, so the visual feedback in the shape of actual range readout on the elevation wheel would be a bonus. The vpit is kinda sparse in that regard. Ideally the gunner could have an instrument view just like the driver, showing the range setting. That involves a fair bit of artwork and mechanics that may or may not be affected in the manner you describe. Quite the job to get that fine detail sorted.

• Registered Users
On 7/30/2020 at 5:14 AM, BMBM said:

Yeah it’s a bug/feature that the input reverts to default. I’ve seen it happen in other instances that involves crew switching.

You do have a range readout (plain text) however in the ui, if enabled, so the visual feedback in the shape of actual range readout on the elevation wheel would be a bonus. The vpit is kinda sparse in that regard. Ideally the gunner could have an instrument view just like the driver, showing the range setting. That involves a fair bit of artwork and mechanics that may or may not be affected in the manner you describe. Quite the job to get that fine detail sorted.

Okay, so the inputs change so that answers the riddle so to speak.  I appreciate the insight.

Re: the vpit, instrument view, etc . . . I am not interested in CRS investing finite resources for that kind of an improvement.  If the input bug gets corrected that solves the issue.  I would be happy to publish any of the indirect fire data so it could be included on the wiki, etc for all players to use.  

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...