Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Barbed wire.

delems

Still 2 issues with the barb wire.

a) collider blocks shots - can't shoot though

b) still can't place near buildings like we could in releases earlier.

These both really impact game play :(

• Like 1

The collider blocking shots is self-evidently not ideal, but I imagine there were good reasons for increasing the minimum distance to other objects being increased for them to have changed it to the current distance.

There was no good reason, they didn't even know it changed.

As for changing it back, well, nearly every spot I use to place wire, I can no longer place.

And no, it didn't block or touch anything it wasn't supposed to - it was perfectly fine before.

I'll take your word on it, I never saw the original implementation. Odd that it changed and "they don't know why"!

• Registered Users
21 minutes ago, fidd said:

I'll take your word on it, I never saw the original implementation. Odd that it changed and "they don't know why"!

The why is known, if someone replied other wise it was likely because they were not the ones working on PPOs. We are few and all wear many hats, it's hard to know every aspect of the innerworkings.

Before, when the wire was not linkable it was because it was seen by the code as a building. The older PPOs were all or mostly RA objects we repurposed. Their colliders were seen as building colliders as they were used as terrain objects and placed only when terrain was built. With some experimentation it was found we could change how the game saw the collider which allowed them to be linked/overlaped but this caused them to also clip into/inside of buildings. So we had to rule them against buildings and that worked but then players found they could build them under armor and flip the armor on build completion.... That was pretty bad. Now we needed to add vehicles to that rule with enough distance to prevent them being built under a tank. We have one distance rule on them, every object type that is ruled against as to distance uses that rule. So when we added the tanks to the rule we had to increase the nogo distance so as to prevent them being built under tanks.

• Registered Users
33 minutes ago, delems said:

So we need a 2nd distance rule?

Bare basic description, yes. Coder time to recode the PPOs as to collision and setting multiple rules per each PPO. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really need a to find a way to allow barbwire closer to terrain again; completely worthless now :(

Everywhere I go I can't setup any defense anymore.