Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Ea kill when?

Dre21

I would think making a EA leak oil dark vapor trail/ smoke and white vapor trail/smoke radiator?  That these 2 would be considered major components , heck making any EA leak fluid would make that plane after a whole inop, and it would need to land or worse .

But no kill , but for some odd reason I get plinked once fly for another 30 min land rearm take off again fly some more don't engage anything land again and I 99% of the time have a killer listed , now I lost no flight control , no leaking fluid  , no injured pilot no nothing but it's always the same I have a killer listed while I can make an EA loose all sorts of parts and fluids and dmg is my reward . 

And don't tell something critical was hit when I got plinked , one does not land rearm and take off again just to land again without any issues .

Edited by dre21

There is problem. Allied planes dont have oil leak at all. If you hit their oil - it will stop leaking in 10 secs or will be just yellow smoke. For pilot only small shaking and nothing more. Can still fly normally. For axis planes - your engine will die in next minutes. Why only axis planes have option to die by oil leak???

He was Leaking pretty good too , 1st white then I got the brown , so he was leaking 2 fluids but still made it back over a bigger town where the AAA opened up and I had to end the pursuit.  

12 minutes ago, nagibatir4 said:

There is problem. Allied planes dont have oil leak at all. If you hit their oil - it will stop leaking in 10 secs or will be just yellow smoke. For pilot only small shaking and nothing more. Can still fly normally. For axis planes - your engine will die in next minutes. Why only axis planes have option to die by oil leak???

self sealing gas tanks are on both sides. Unless u can lock down specifics on a leak and show results that can be duplicated. There is no issue

• Like 1

• Registered Users

Just tested spit1. Damaged oil cooler badly enough it ran out of oil/quit leaking shortly after damage. 2 minutes in and engine started losing power, 2.5 minutes in and engine died.

• Registered Users

Also, we only have (I think) 1 effect for each type leak, or fire.

So be it a pinhole leak and a baseball size hole it's the same effect until there is nothing left to leak.

Fire is same, a wing on fire can be a small tiny wiring fire or 20 gallon of gas on fire and it's the same effect called.

12 hours ago, Kidd27 said:

self sealing gas tanks are on both sides. Unless u can lock down specifics on a leak and show results that can be duplicated. There is no issue

That wouldn't apply to oil/water tanks as they are much smaller and a completely different system. And most of the time, rather the much bigger radiator or the plumbing would be hit and start leaking than the oil/water tank. Unless you got self sealing radiators as well, you still can run out of fluid pretty quickly.

10 hours ago, OLDZEKE said:

Just tested spit1. Damaged oil cooler badly enough it ran out of oil/quit leaking shortly after damage. 2 minutes in and engine started losing power, 2.5 minutes in and engine died.

Sounds good. Probably someone should test it on a later tier plane with self sealing tanks as well to make sure, everything works as it is supposed to.

Edited by vanapo

• Registered Users

I’m not expert on this stuff but never saw mention in my reading of self sealing coolant lines, radiators, oil coolers or oil lines. 

21 minutes ago, vanapo said:

Unless you got self sealing radiators as well

No such thing. It'd be a physics conflict.

Self sealing fuel tanks have two (or sometimes more) layers, which some soft stuff between the two layers that rapidly squeezes out to fill any hole pierced in the tank.

Part of the squeeze-out is due to the sealant rapidly reacting with the fuel, resulting in the sealant swelling.

There are no good sealants that would react similarly with coolants, which for thermodynamics reasons are always water based. Plenty of substances dissolve on contact with water, but hardly any swell on contact with water, while remaining non-dissolved and not permeated by the water...and none have the other needed characteristics that would make them sealants. Plus, the purpose of a radiator is to exchange heat, so it's made of high-conductivity metal. Add a second layer of metal or some other substance, plus a layer of sealant, and the insulative effect would make the radiator unable to perform its basic function.

In theory maybe you could engineer a self sealing lubricating oil system. The challenge, I'd think, would be making the sealant actually seal. A sealant that works with gasoline would have close to the right chemistry to seal oil as well...but the fuel is cool when first put in the tanks, and rapidly becomes cold as the plane flies. Oil OTOH gets very hot...which is why you want a cooler. Hot hydrocarbons are very hard to seal against leaks except with metals, and are much much more powerful at chemically attacking the kinds of rubbers that might be considered as sealants. Plus, the sealant layer again would add insulation, which would defeat the basic purpose of the oil cooler.

Edited by jwilly

That's why I said this, guys. It was a joke. Of course there is no self sealing coolant plumbing or radiator. Every plane that has a radiator should be prone to loss of coolant and the "self sealing" effect should only apply to fuel leakage. But the details were pretty interesting anyway jwilly. You always got the facts at hand.

I think that's probably how it is. Oldzeke's test points towards that direction. But if there is serious complaint about it, maybe someone with the ability to do so should check it out on other planes as well.

From my perspective, radiator damage with overheating due to battle damage happens pretty rarely (which differs from other games quite a lot). I'll either get killed/lose my engine right away or the engine will bring me back home. But that's probably because I will head home immediately if I am smoking. And I am flying axis only, those planes won't take a lot of HE rounds and stay in the fight afterwards anyways.

On the other hand, I have seen a lot of spits smoking white and suddenly stop smoking without overheating within the next 5 minutes. If that's coolant, they should only stop leaking because there is no coolant left, and they should lose their engine very soon after the coolant is gone, especially at max/max.

I have also seen a lot of planes staying in the fight smoking all colours. But as you said: That's probably the same on both sides and there is only an "on/off" state of smoking - it doesn't tell you how bad the plane has been damaged. It only shows you hit something.

Edited by vanapo

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

Still don't know why I only get dmg if it's life necessary equipment for a Plane to stay in the air.

You should get a kill if a) you kill the pilot or b) the plane is damaged beyond repair or c) the plane is damaged and doesn't make it back to base.

It's debatable when b) is the case. You could even argue that a dead engine is no critical damage if you can manage to RTB the plane because the engine could be replaced. But I am on your side if you would argue that a player should get points for inflicting damage that would normally take a plane out of combat (and out of service for a while). IRL they used to track inflicted damage as well, not only kills.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:37 AM, dre21 said:

I get plinked once fly for another 30 min land rearm take off again fly some more don't engage anything land again and I 99% of the time have a killer listed

This happens a lot for me as well, most of the time AI is listed here. If I look it up in the stats, the mission is counted as RTB with no "killer" listed anyways. I think it's just a stat bug.

Edited by vanapo

• Registered Users

Anytime you get plinked by AI and don't receive a crit by a actual player the aar will show "enemy forces" as the killed by. As mentioned it does not actually score a kill.

25 minutes ago, OLDZEKE said:

Anytime you get plinked by AI and don't receive a crit by a actual player the aar will show "enemy forces" as the killed by. As mentioned it does not actually score a kill.

Mine is most times a player , and yes crash and burn OK , Pilot killed  OK but way to many times I make it back just to see killed by , while I shoot the snot out of an EA with the above mentioned and a DMG is my reward , it is descouraging to fly when one sees that.

Edited by dre21
  • Thanks 1