Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Tiers, how many and what is in each one?

sixpk

Tier 0 = May 1940 to end of year.

Tier 1 = 1941

Tier 2 = 1942

Tier 3 = 1943, continuing through the end of the war.

All tiers have +/- 2 month design-adjustability on whether a weapon or other equipment historically first used near the end of a given year or the beginning of the next year is put into the earlier or latter tier.

Some time back, CRS tried half year tiers. That was discontinued fairly quickly for two reasons: because it doubled the amount of game management work to change over between tiers, and the game management tools for that are pretty labor intensive; and because CRS concluded after trying it that it would work better if they had more weapons/other objects developed so that each side would get multiple new items in every tier. There has been continuing discussion of bringing back half year tiers when those issues are sufficiently addressed, though we're pretty sure that's not imminent.

I don't know if there has been an official shift away from the following, but this is how we broke it down in the beginning, where the changeover is during the year determined by the tier number, and not a fixed date :

tier 0 = 1940 to around somewhere during 1941 (1939 is kind of assumed as having happened)

tier 1 = somewhere in 1941 to somewhere in 1942

tier 2 = somewhere in 1942 to somewhere in 1943

tier 3 = somewhere in 1943 to the end of the war

Clearly you'd like to develop a tier 4 to take you to 1945 in a better fashion, at least that would be my choice if it were feasible given not a lot of resources to do it with. With the current 3 tiers which we had at our disposal, it's obvious why we adopted a flexible approach where fixed dates were not employed as inclusion criteria and abstractions were abundant. There wasn't really a better way to do it at the time. When we ventured out of 1940/41 for the first time way back when, we didn't even have tiers, and since development of new stuff was slow even when we had a "full company of paid developers" it was less a fully fleshed out plan and more a natural evolution that created its own process as time went by.

Introduction/production etc. weren't perfect matches to a same/same calendar reality as in real life, a rough idea was all that would be indicated providing a timeline of development in game world.

Of course, rationale may have changed at CRS since we're in 2020 now, that is not my purview to comment on. 

Edited by DOC

On 11/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, sixpk said:

This is good info. Thank you:) So is their a link or list as to what is in each Tier?

S!

check campaigncharts.com... altho not showing more than what we've already got, this is the best tool we've got (altho i've been bugging for a full tier list to get posted somewhere like the wiki)

1 hour ago, jwrona said:

check campaigncharts.com... altho not showing more than what we've already got, this is the best tool we've got (altho i've been bugging for a full tier list to get posted somewhere like the wiki)

I've been updating equipment to say when it gets introduced on the wiki but a) it can change quite quickly and B) I've not got round to a tier list yet.