Jump to content
Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

monitors


Recommended Posts

what is a good monitor, and joystick  for this game ?  and are the curved monitors any good? tthks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Monitor depends on graphics card - there's a lot of variables like refresh rate, resolution, gsync/freesync etc. that depend on the graphics card. I have a BenQ EX2780Q - great monitor, 2K resolution with 144hz but my little Nvidia 1060 doesn't utilize the screen to it's full potential (new rig coming Feb/March 2021). I've never owned a curved monitor but never really liked the look of them - when I have seen them some of these monitors seem to distort the image and really only seem to give the best effect in a larger screen size - this is my opinion though.

For joystick this depends on budget. There's sticks that start at $30 and way up to $500+. Personally I used a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro ($60 ish) for about 10 years at least but in the last 2 years of it's life I did have a tracking issue with it that meant it was always pulling left no matter what I did. I got fed up with this so bought a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One ($50 ish), well that lasted less than 1 month before it broke and got returned. After a a huge amount of research I finally bought a VKB Gladiator NXT ($200 ish). The quality difference is incredible. It has both the twist for the rudder function and the throttle on the same unit - some of the other higher end sticks don't do this so double check. I can always add a throttle/rudder pedals down the line too with the setup I have when space allows.

If you're US based have a look at CH Products for a joystick if budget allows - I believe they don't have the twist on stick so may need rudder pedals. I have heard they are built like tanks and just keep going.

I would highly recommend have a look at VKB if budget allows.

On the on the budget side of things the Logitech Extreme 3D pro was great for me for years. I also see people recommend the Thrustmaster T16000 a lot too.

Edited by blipoop
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tatonka said:

geoforce gtx 1050  

If you plan on sticking with that card for a while I'd recommend a monitor that has an IPS panel, 120hz ideally or 144hz at most and 1080p. Your graphics card won't handle more than that. Get something with a fast response time as I'm sure you know yourself it matters a lot who gets the first shot off in this game. Also with that graphics card get a monitor with Gsync to avoid tearing and stuttering. 27 inch seems to be the sweet spot at the moment but size is personal preference.

Of course if you're planning to upgrade graphics card anytime soon then there will be more options open to you and I'd suggest choosing a monitor for the upgrade as apposed to the current setup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, blipoop said:

If you plan on sticking with that card for a while I'd recommend a monitor that has an IPS panel, 120hz ideally or 144hz at most and 1080p. Your graphics card won't handle more than that. Get something with a fast response time as I'm sure you know yourself it matters a lot who gets the first shot off in this game. Also with that graphics card get a monitor with Gsync to avoid tearing and stuttering. 27 inch seems to be the sweet spot at the moment but size is personal preference.

Of course if you're planning to upgrade graphics card anytime soon then there will be more options open to you and I'd suggest choosing a monitor for the upgrade as apposed to the current setup.

got a deal on a curved 32 inch , it has 144hz , it works great with this card . Had trouble finding a joystick , frys didnt have any in stock and best buy didnt have the extreme 3d pro .  Thks for your help guys S!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tatonka said:

got a deal on a curved 32 inch , it has 144hz , it works great with this card . Had trouble finding a joystick , frys didnt have any in stock and best buy didnt have the extreme 3d pro .  Thks for your help guys S!

The human malware (covid) is affecting supply of electronics in a major way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
odonovan1

If you get a curved monitor, pay attention to the "R" number.  As an example, a monitor may be more curved (lower number) or less curved.  The number is the distance (in millimeters) to the "sweet spot," where the curvature of the monitor matches the field of vision...basically the distance from which you SHOULD be viewing the monitor, to take best advantage of the curvature.  I have a 32" Samsung curved monitor with a rating of "R1800" which means I should be sitting almost exactly SIX FEET from it for the curvature to be appropriate for the distance.  Since I sit almost exactly half that distance away from mine, the curve does me very little good.  It's almost indistinguishable from a flat monitor.  If you're like me, and sit approximately three feet from your monitor, find one with "R900" (or as close as possible) or you're not getting your money's worth.  Fortunately, I got my monitor on sale (open box, missing part of the base), so it was still worth it for me.

 

There is also viewing distance.  If you're going to use a 1080P monitor (as I do), your viewing distance should be between 1-1.5 times the HORIZONTAL (not diagonal) measurement of your monitor if it's a 16:9 ratio display.  In this case, a 32" class monitor (31.5" diagonal screen) has a horizontal measurement of 27".  Therefore, I should be sitting between 27"-40" from my monitor.  As I'm sitting at 35"-36", I'm good to go.  If I was sitting closer than 27", I would want to use a 4K display, as that's the range at which it begins to make a practical difference.  However, since I use reading glasses anyway, to view my monitor, a 4K display would probably be wasted on me even at that distance.  :)  For a 27" monitor, the sweet spot would be at 23"-34", so you would literally have to be sitting less than two feet from your monitor to justify buying a 4K display over a 1080P.  With the extra money you save by not buying a 4K monitor, you could get a 1080P with a higher refresh rate, lower response time, and/or lower display lag.  Or, you could get a better graphics card, better processor, or...dare I say it...MOAR RAM.  ;)   Any of those would improve your gaming experience significantly more than having a UHD display.

 

Spend your money wisely.

 

 

 

-Irish

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
pharmer

Has anyone used 2 monitors simultaneously for running 2 accounts?  Is it possible to have 2 instances of the game running (I can do that now with Alt+Tab) and see each instance of the game on a separate monitor instead of switching back and forth via Alt+Tab?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 2:39 AM, pharmer said:

Has anyone used 2 monitors simultaneously for running 2 accounts?  Is it possible to have 2 instances of the game running (I can do that now with Alt+Tab) and see each instance of the game on a separate monitor instead of switching back and forth via Alt+Tab?

Yes, you can either run software to change screen priority and have 2 installs of ww2ol so it triggers each monitor.

 

It can be done multiple ways. Or even use something like Sandboxy to instance the other monitor or even use something like a Shadow.tech box to run on the other screen if your computer is not that great. 

 

There is 3 ways I know of on having it on 2 monitors at the same time.

Edited by Kempi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2020 at 10:55 PM, Tatonka said:

what is a good monitor, and joystick  for this game ?  and are the curved monitors any good? tthks 

I'm using 32" Curved Samsung 144htz 4k monitors. Scaled down to 2k because of personal preference. Like when the map bugs I like to see the tiny icons 4k is an issue they are too small.

 

Monitors are quite inexpensive now these 2 bought together cost less than my last 1080p 32" Samsung Monitor 3 years ago.

 

edit: @CHIMM I am still rocking my WW2OL Mouse Mat <3 

 

monitors2.jpg

 

Edited by Kempi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
vanapo

Just my 2 cents but after playing this game since 2006 at 60fps and always being skeptic about those fancy high refresh rate "gaming" monitors I finally bought one with 145hz a couple of months ago and I have to say: Wow, it helps immensely with combat flight sims and shooters. Especially in air sims it can mean the difference between your brain just noticing an enemy and your brain being able to project the exact path of that enemy right away. Helps keeping track and aiming a lot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • CORNERED RAT
CHIMM
7 hours ago, Kempi said:

I am still rocking my WW2OL Mouse Mat <3 

w00t !  S!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatonka

trying to put one game on one monitor and one on the other , not working :( 

I can put 2 different web sites on and see and inact with each but not game

 

Edited by Tatonka
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tatonka said:

trying to put one game on one monitor and one on the other , not working :( 

I can put 2 different web sites on and see and inact with each but not game

 

You would need software to do this. Possibly have 2 installs or instances of WW2OL to get them to each monitor automatically when run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
hastien

S!  Tatonka.  In your settings for the game you can select which monitor you want the game (account) on.  Then set the other to the other monitor.  Now mine has gone a bit wonky in the last patch.  The will both go on same monitor.  They way i fix it is to get one logged in on the monitor i chose.  The go to the settings and reselect it back to the other monitor without the game.  Im going to try to fix this and see if it will go back to normal.  For some reason or another, even though I have hastien2 account saves to monitor2 and hastien saved to monitor 1, as soon as i spawn one account in it saves both accounts to that monitor and cannot get it to stop changing the monitor settings.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you could do this as a quick and dirty fix.

Run WW2OL normal version on monitor 1.

 

For the second monitor run steam in Big Picture mode, set big picture to monitor 2 and install ww2ol.

Once set launch ww2ol from steam this will open on 2nd monitor. Quick and dirty way to do it without much setup or moving windows every time you play.

Edited by Kempi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
hastien

i wish i could rename one instance of the game to something else.  maybe then it will stop changing the settings for the other account.  Plus when i have the sound open, i know which one to mute and unmute when playing both games thru on headset.  This way i dont get multi directional sound from the one that im guarding my 88 with

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hastien said:

i wish i could rename one instance of the game to something else.  maybe then it will stop changing the settings for the other account.  Plus when i have the sound open, i know which one to mute and unmute when playing both games thru on headset.  This way i dont get multi directional sound from the one that im guarding my 88 with

 

Big Picture overrides monitors and sound devises as far as I know.

 

So you can set Steam version of ww2ol how you want. And the normal install from the website to different settings.

 

I have not used Big Picture in a while, so will have to test but if nothing has changed then it will be easy to set 2 instances. 

Edited by Kempi
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hastien said:

yeah both my accounts are paid.  No steam version for me.

 

You can run steam version I will test it. See if I can put my builders tow account on big picture mode.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tested this sadly Big Picture mode did not work.

I will try another method and post any updates on what I get working S!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried display fusion this seems to bug out :/ it will move it to the right monitor until you try and play then switch them to the same monitor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatonka
20 hours ago, hastien said:

S!  Tatonka.  In your settings for the game you can select which monitor you want the game (account) on.  Then set the other to the other monitor.  Now mine has gone a bit wonky in the last patch.  The will both go on same monitor.  They way i fix it is to get one logged in on the monitor i chose.  The go to the settings and reselect it back to the other monitor without the game.  Im going to try to fix this and see if it will go back to normal.  For some reason or another, even though I have hastien2 account saves to monitor2 and hastien saved to monitor 1, as soon as i spawn one account in it saves both accounts to that monitor and cannot get it to stop changing the monitor settings.

 

i couldnt find how to assign one game to one monitor?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to your ww2ol directory and run settings.exe this will allow you to change monitor before launch. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...