Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Attention Allies: New Awards!

jwrona

eisenhower_with_staff-P.jpeg

Attention Allies!
Over the past week, the Senior Command has gotten together and put together a list of new awards to recognize you, the players, in excellence during everyday activities (CP defense, FB busting, etc). These awards can be given to ANY player, and will be announced both in-game and on the forums. Each award comes in three tiers, so for those who get two or three awards in the same category, there will be a new ribbon. Feel free to display these in your forum signature, or anywhere else you're proud to display your recognition for excellence. Without further ado, here is the list:

FB Defense Award (Third, Second, First Class)
FB-Defense-1.gif   FB-Defense-2.gif   FB-Defense-3.gif
 "The FB Defense Ribbon is awarded to soldiers who routinely work the defense of Forward Bases; both linking to objectives as designated by High Command and elsewhere on the map to prevent the enemy from having attack options."

Bulldog Defense Award (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Bronze-Bulldog-Ribbon.gif   Silver-Bulldog-Ribbon.gif   Gold-Bulldog-Ribbon.gif
"The Bulldog Ribbon is named after soldiers who guard our CPs and AB's like an angry dog. Can be applied to defense of any Capture Point (including army bases) on Attacks and Defenses."

Combat Engineer Ribbon (Third, Second, First Class)
FB-Busting-1.gif   FB-Busting-2.gif   FB-Busting-3.gif
"The Combat Engineer Ribbon is awarded to soldiers who are a menace with a satchel charge. Whether that be hunting enemy FMSs, taking down buildings and AI, or destruction of enemy forward bases."

Supply Ribbon (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Bronze-Supply-Ribbon.gif   Silver-Supply-Ribbon.gif   Gold-Supply-Ribbon.gif
"The Supply Ribbon is given to players who help keep the Allied machine moving by setting FMSs for missions and helping resupply towns from backline."

Armor Ribbon (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Tanker-Ribbon-1.gif   Tanker-Ribbon-2.gif   Tanker-Ribbon-3.gif
"The Armor Ribbon is awarded to players whos armor support, either in an anti-tank or in an infantry support role, makes the difference in a battle."

Infantry Ribbon (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Bronze-Infantry-Medal.gif   Silver-Infantry-Medal.gif   Gold-Infantry-Medal.gif
"The Infantry Ribbon is awarded to players who separate themselves from their companions by displaying quick instincts and competency with infantry, making a difference in a battle."

Distinguished Flying Cross (Cross, Cross with Bar, Cross with Two Bars)
Distinguished-Flying-Cross.gif   Distinguished-Flying-Cross-1-Bar.gif   Distinguished-Flying-Cross-2-Bars.gif
"The Distinguished Flying Cross is awarded to fighter pilots who contribute to air superiority, clearing out the skies of Luftwaffe targets and supporting ground troops."

Distinguished Bomber Cross (Cross, Cross with Bar, Cross with Two Bars)
Distinguished-Bomber-Cross.gif   Distinguished-Bomber-Cross-One-Bar.gif   Distinguished-Bomber-Cross-Two-Bars.gif
"The Distinguished Bomber Cross is awarded to bomber pilots who show dedication to flattening ground targets at both the front lines and the factories."

Field Gun Ribbon (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Bronze-Field-Gun-Ribbon.gif   Silver-Field-Gun-Ribbon.gif   Gold-Field-Gun-Ribbon.gif
"The Field Gun Ribbon is awarded to those who show expert usage of Anti-Tank guns."

Flak Ribbon (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Bronze-Flak-Ribbon.gif   Silver-Flak-Ribbon.gif   Gold-Flak-Ribbon.gif
"The Flak Ribbon is awarded to those who show expert usage of AA guns and SPAA's in support of air superiority."

Naval Ribbon (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
Bronze-Naval-Ribbon.gif   Silver-Naval-Ribbon.gif   Gold-Naval-Ribbon.gif
"The Naval Ribbon is awarded to seamen who brave the seas and rivers across the map in support of ground troops and involved in notable combat with enemy ships."

More to come on the awards front, but until then, happy hunting, Allies! 

By Direction of Commander in Chief, colt
Published by British Country XO, jwrona

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, B2K said:

Looks cool - what's the defining criteria between the different tiers?

I KNEW you were going to ask that............we are still fleshing these out, we want a similar criteria  for the similar Axis awards. More to come and THANK YOU B2K for supporting us and our ideas! 

9 hours ago, B2K said:

Looks cool - what's the defining criteria between the different tiers?

Criteria between tiers is repetition, in our scenario (as we still develop). 

Second award = second tier. 

• Registered Users

Great job on these they look great. Is there Campaign Victory Ribbons, I used to like these as they reflected the Campaigns won and participated in. While im great at stitching images together in Photoshop (basic [censored]) my actual design prowess is next to nothing.  

Edited by Eddie05

8 hours ago, Eddie05 said:

Great job on these they look great. Is there Campaign Victory Ribbons, I used to like these as they reflected the Campaigns won and participated in. While im great at stitching images together in Photoshop (basic [censored]) my actual design prowess is next to nothing.  

Starting to phase those out as we go... I wouldn't hold your breath for a medal for victory in future campaigns. Part of this overhaul is to thin our list of awards a bit (for ease of distribution by awards officers, and ease of recommendation by officers to players) and remove awards that we just don't distribute anymore (for various reasons). 

S!  Those ribbons would be nice to have but, there are factors that most people don't see that will effect these.  As campaigns seem to move faster and a lot more of them, the less room for the other types of ribbons will quickly rear it ugly head.  The format CRS uses to have these ribbons is really a small size.  This will diminish the amount of ribbons that can be displayed greatly.  Since most people want to see the ribbon that they achieved for a specific ribbon, like the top player or MVS or MVP, versus ones that everyone receives,  doesn't make this less important, just means less space.  As for those who aren't in squads or anything like that, this ribbon would matter greatly as those might be the only ones they receive unless someone see's them doing something above and beyond.  The ribbons also have set sizes.  The top atg, top whatever ribbons for example, are way bigger than the other style ribbons and need to be addressed.  Sure you can make the ribbons smaller, but then the picture on the ribbon becomes blurry or to small to make out, which defeats the purpose it was designed to do. As the guy who does ribbons and medals for his whole squad and updates them weekly, some people have so many ribbons there simply is no space left on the signature to put anymore with the current settings that CRS has set for them.  Just the last update to the website, has reduced the length the pic/sig can now be.  Wasn't by much but, its is effecting the dimensions to some of the signatures and must  be redone completely and removing some of the medals that were on the end.

Hopefully all these will be looked upon when the creation of the next ribbons and the progression throughout the leveling stages is talked about when being created or drawn out.  You can always drop the behind ground picture and just have ribbons, but this kills the squad affiliation when people see the medals, so that's definitely out.

@hastienin terms of ribbon display... things are coming "soon."

We've started to try and reach out via discord, .allied, recognizing guys for awards. We (for the first time) posted the end of campaign awards link in the allied text channel, and I saw a few new guys THRILLED to receive the "sharpshooter badge" or "military medal for mortarman." Guys who are still learning to play the game. 

Other night we offered up a ribbon to everyone who helped do manual resupply. normally it's just me and one other... this time we had over a half dozen guys, even new dudes, who we explained what we were doing to, and they were thrilled, making 2-3 runs with units between antwerp C and N. 

It's our little carrot on a stick, and the biggest issue is always going to be the 90% of guys who never knew they were recognized because they don't check the forums, and a way to display them. We're almost solved on the former, and working on the latter, coming "soon."

The intent was/is NOT to throw out old awards! Yes a lot of sweat equity went into them! If you scroll down the Axis awards, you’ll see a number of them that say “do not use being repurposed”. These medals/ribbons are high quality, there just is too many and way to much redundancy. The Axis had 19 different medals for basically the same thing for instance.

also, because the system was broken and most were UNAWARE that it was broken, many ribbon awards were lost in space, nowhere to be found, hugely frustrating. Also, the criteria for most awards was really outdated nay, impossible to earn practically, thus the creation of new awards that recognize what is happening in game today. Combat engineers, cp and ab guarding, etc.

I for one am extremely grateful and thankful for those who came before and I hope we together can move the games awards program into the future state. Setting up these committees is a great start!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • sideout pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

other than ceremoniously, these "awards" need to be distributed based on stats. (some of which have no official stat)

The issue i would have with the current HC officer distribution is it will always be a "who you know" /who you play with /close to. Those very specific eyes need to see and note. If you are out of sight, you are out of mind.

If it isnt integrated into the game, represented visually somehow.... I dont think it means very much.

Ive played allied 20 years and i have no idea if when or ever, ive been blessed with such an "award".

Other than the obvious cry for help-

• CORNERED RAT
2 hours ago, Kidd27 said:

other than ceremoniously, these "awards" need to be distributed based on stats. (some of which have no official stat)

The issue i would have with the current HC officer distribution is it will always be a "who you know" /who you play with /close to. Those very specific eyes need to see and note. If you are out of sight, you are out of mind.

If it isnt integrated into the game, represented visually somehow.... I dont think it means very much.

Ive played allied 20 years and i have no idea if when or ever, ive been blessed with such an "award".

7thast.net/awards  - At the moment is all the 'historic' awards from the HC DB's (to include Lince's).  Once I finish up the create new award functions will start loading in the last 20 or campaign stat based awards (in the meantime you can see which you qualified for). 

On 2/24/2021 at 10:12 PM, Kidd27 said:

so it's all a work in progress.

I see your name on that long list for 178, 179 and 176 awards, 95% of which are stats based. (you can find those threads in the awards forum, here is 1 example of them)

In terms of the ones handed out via officers... the whole point of SIDEOUT leading the charge on redo-ing the system is that we will get officers ACROSS THE BOARD dishing em out like candy. Simplified system so an officer can just go "he needs the ribbon for X" rather than this list of (literally) 100+ ribbons for them to dig through. More officers giving awards = more eyes looking at reward worthy acts = more bling bling for everyone. We're getting there. slowly, just bear with us :)

Edited by jwrona

• 3 weeks later...

how bout an award for Morale/sportsmanship/career achievement.

recognize the dude that cant play enough to get on a top list for stats, but is always upbeat/chatty and willing to help.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:34 PM, hastien said:

S!  Those ribbons would be nice to have but, there are factors that most people don't see that will effect these.  As campaigns seem to move faster and a lot more of them, the less room for the other types of ribbons will quickly rear it ugly head.  The format CRS uses to have these ribbons is really a small size.  This will diminish the amount of ribbons that can be displayed greatly.  Since most people want to see the ribbon that they achieved for a specific ribbon, like the top player or MVS or MVP, versus ones that everyone receives,  doesn't make this less important, just means less space.  As for those who aren't in squads or anything like that, this ribbon would matter greatly as those might be the only ones they receive unless someone see's them doing something above and beyond.  The ribbons also have set sizes.  The top atg, top whatever ribbons for example, are way bigger than the other style ribbons and need to be addressed.  Sure you can make the ribbons smaller, but then the picture on the ribbon becomes blurry or to small to make out, which defeats the purpose it was designed to do. As the guy who does ribbons and medals for his whole squad and updates them weekly, some people have so many ribbons there simply is no space left on the signature to put anymore with the current settings that CRS has set for them.  Just the last update to the website, has reduced the length the pic/sig can now be.  Wasn't by much but, its is effecting the dimensions to some of the signatures and must  be redone completely and removing some of the medals that were on the end.

Hopefully all these will be looked upon when the creation of the next ribbons and the progression throughout the leveling stages is talked about when being created or drawn out.  You can always drop the behind ground picture and just have ribbons, but this kills the squad affiliation when people see the medals, so that's definitely out.

If ribbons are the way to go, they need to be shown by CRS. Having them attached to signatures in a hap hazard, choose your own adventure kind of way does nothing for anyone. It looks like a technicolour blur.

It needs to be attached to stats, and ribbon historical awards kept track of.

Theres no way to asscertain if someone has multiple ribbons in the ssame discipline, how many times its been achieved, etc.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, jwrona said:

so it's all a work in progress.

I see your name on that long list for 178, 179 and 176 awards, 95% of which are stats based. (you can find those threads in the awards forum, here is 1 example of them)

In terms of the ones handed out via officers... the whole point of SIDEOUT leading the charge on redo-ing the system is that we will get officers ACROSS THE BOARD dishing em out like candy. Simplified system so an officer can just go "he needs the ribbon for X" rather than this list of (literally) 100+ ribbons for them to dig through. More officers giving awards = more eyes looking at reward worthy acts = more bling bling for everyone. We're getting there. slowly, just bear with us :)

of all the guys named jwrona... ur my favourite

Ahm.....

"stats' is the absolute worst way to give out awards 

It discourages the teamwork this game is famous for, and promotes the worst of selfish negative behaviors that so many MMO's have fallen victim to

Don't do it

• Like 1

End of Campaign awards are generally stats based. Top lmg, top bomber etc. all the other awards, for both sides, are given out via merit, on the spot preferably. 

• CORNERED RAT
13 hours ago, falford said:

Ahm.....

"stats' is the absolute worst way to give out awards 

It discourages the teamwork this game is famous for, and promotes the worst of selfish negative behaviors that so many MMO's have fallen victim to

Don't do it

Stats are one way, in fact some can only be awarded if tied to stats (Pilot Ace as example), others will be non-stat.  

• sideout unpinned this topic