Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

New terrain templates needed

undercova

Since CRS is able to work on map/textures/objects again it is time to develop new terrain templates

The existing ones are good but ofc more could/should be added to give more variety

Terrain templates are the red boxes that fill the whole map/terrain with different layouts. When you look into the SW part of the campaign map you can see a lot of new towns that have no buildings on top of it yet (towns in Britain have it too). Building blocks 
cGBX6z8.jpg

In the next screenshot you can see it better (zoomed out)

0CAbPVC.jpg

Edited by undercova

6 hours ago, undercova said:

Since CRS is able to work on map/textures/objects again it is time to develop new terrain templates

The existing ones are good but ofc more could/should be added to give more variety 

In the next screenshot you can see it better (zoomed out)

0CAbPVC.jpg

The game world is built of 800m x 800m "terrain tiles" that can be placed at any of four polar orientations (90 degree rotations). Those are the "terrain templates".

Doc and I think Mo, and later just Doc, spent many hundreds of hours of work individually placing tiles to build the entire fightable map...then re-doing their work when the editor would crash and wipe it out.

The tile-set includes all the roads, all the forests, the airfields, and all the coastlines and harbors. The towns are individually laid out, with some templating at the local level.

Here's that same screenshot with the tile boundaries made more obvious:

Terrain_tiles_with_grid_lines.jpg

See the two tiles with a right angle road bend, to the above-right and above-left of the central airfield? You can tell from the vegetation pattern that those are the same tile, but with a 90 degree placement difference. You can identify a lot of other tile matches in the map section, too. The tile-set's pretty small. There's only one tile in the set for each road-layout variation. Just keep in mind that ability to rotate a tile to any of the four 90 degree orientations.

That of course is the OP's point...to add some variety to the map, by adding some variety to the tileset. 

My personal hope is that the game's grossly unrealistic handling of off-road mobility eventually can be fixed by adding a quadrant-rotationally-coherent secondary road system to (almost) all the land tiles.

Drawing1.gif

Edited by jwilly

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

The game world is built of 800m x 800m "terrain tiles" that can be placed at any of four polar orientations (90 degree rotations). Those are the "terrain templates".

Doc and I think Mo, and later just Doc, spent many hundreds of hours of work individually placing tiles to build the entire fightable map...then re-doing their work when the editor would crash and wipe it out.

The tile-set includes all the roads, all the forests, the airfields, and all the coastlines and harbors. The towns are individually laid out, with some templating at the local level.

Here's that same screenshot with the tile boundaries made more obvious:

Terrain_tiles_with_grid_lines.jpg

See the two tiles with a right angle road bend, to the above-right and above-left of the central airfield? You can tell from the vegetation pattern that those are the same tile, but with a 90 degree placement difference. You can identify a lot of other tile matches in the map section, too. The tile-set's pretty small. There's only one tile in the set for each road-layout variation. Just keep in mind that ability to rotate a tile to any of the four 90 degree orientations.

That of course is the OP's point...to add some variety to the map, by adding some variety to the tileset. 

My personal hope is that the game's grossly unrealistic handling of off-road mobility eventually can be fixed by adding a quadrant-rotationally-coherent secondary road system to (almost) all the land tiles.

Drawing1.gif

i already know that :D

specially those who made their own maps in old games like Command & Conquer in the old days know about these tiles. As long as you have many of them ...it is great

• Registered Users

I have already created 5 new tiles , but they are a little subtle . I lowered banks to make lake tiles , one river mouth tile mirrored another so I could do what I wanted more easily , and a town tile with a pond on it .. 

I have  more in the works that I will be introducing as we go as I am still learning and things are getting easier for me to do them . They will be a bit more obvious. :)

Gravel/dirt roads are on my list, but to do them tiles need major surgery to get them in and they need to line up correctly . 

Also every time I create a tile that looks different from above , I need to modify the ingame map , that takes almost as much time as the tile itself. 

2 hours ago, TR6AL said:

Gravel/dirt roads are on my list

Yay. :)

S!

and they need to line up correctly.

Maybe a consistent all-four-midpoint edge crossing technique. as illustrated above? That way connections and correct line-up go away as issues, no matter what tile combinations and orientations are used.

11 hours ago, undercova said:

As long as you have many of them ...it is great

Doc, TR6AL or Fives would know better, but way back when I did my layout tileset I think I counted 62.

• Registered Users

I have talked to Doc and no idea where Five got to .. but there shouldn't be too many more than 70 . Ill count later . 

The small road/path really does not have to go beyond the tile border but centre is a good idea . Only issue atm is that any tile I replace , there is most likely somewhere on the map that buildings are on the spot that the roads would be .. I will possibly try a tile I know will have nothing on it .

Like a coast tile .... path leading down to the water/beach.