Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Jumping Roof of Depot to CP - instant death

choad

I know the damage from jumping from a 2nd story building has been  instituted - but is it intentional that you instantly die when jumping from roof of depot to roof of cp?

Depends on height I'd guess.

Is really different, but I do think it is more realistic.

Only issue might be, can't seem to drop from rubble SP outside stairs to ground easily.

So, maybe, need to ease up just a tad on height of jump for damage.

• Like 1

Just now, delems said:

Depends on height I'd guess.

Is really different, but I do think it is more realistic.

Only issue might be, can't seem to drop from rubble SP outside stairs to ground easily.

So, maybe, need to ease up just a tad on height of jump for damage.

Ok - I can go with you part way - but instant death? I can hear you if you say you should be injured significantly. You get inured sprinting down depot stairs now ... as well as going down the exterior stairs (which terminate 10 ft off the ground). Seems like you need to do a little adjusting to the stairs to coincide with your new mechanics. Fully do the stairs. Make running speed slower if the net effect is you constantly injure yourself  doing things you should be able to do at a run.

Jumping from a 2 story roof in full combat gear should hurt, if not outright disable you. 

I LOVE the window trick lol, been using is forever, but it is kind of gamey seeing infantry jump off the roof of a depot, hit the ground/CP  and run off. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

Jumping from a 2 story roof in full combat gear should hurt, if not outright disable you. 

I LOVE the window trick lol, been using is forever, but it is kind of gamey seeing infantry jump off the roof of a depot, hit the ground/CP  and run off. 

MOSIZLAK SIGHTING

• Haha 1

In intermission, post patch, was standing on the top of a bridge with Pzjäger.

Friendly came running over the bridge, trying to get past me.

He instantly died by colliding with me. A bit harsh.

the damage fall right now is fine

ppl just have to get used to it

also the old technique to jump on roof top doesnt work that smooth anymore eh ? :P

• Like 1

Just now, undercova said:

the damage fall right now is fine

ppl just have to get used to it

also the old technique to jump on roof top doesnt work that smooth anymore eh ? :P

I agree, but running down the depot stairs which now results in injury is way off lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

I agree, but running down the depot stairs which now results in injury is way off lol

try doing that in RL with a ready gun in your hand !!

• Like 1

Just now, undercova said:

Even in my advanced state of decay, I think I could manage running down stairs without F'ing myself up 95% of the time lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Even in my advanced state of decay, I think I could manage running down stairs without F'ing myself up 95% of the time lol

like this ?
cc6ada560fd6d8f29d711d3bb39005a3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• CORNERED RAT
1 hour ago, undercova said:

like this ?
cc6ada560fd6d8f29d711d3bb39005a3.gif

he even captured our animation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It might be more realistic but it will make camping worse. Think about it? Now everyone is going to run out of one or two doors where'as jumping made hitting a moving target out of depots more difficult.

9 hours ago, undercova said:

I would be fine if the game disincetivized running inside—but only down, not up?

Itis odd I have to be super careful using the fire escape, I got wounded at a walk off it.

41 minutes ago, usaf77 said:

It might be more realistic but it will make camping worse. Think about it? Now everyone is going to run out of one or two doors where'as jumping made hitting a moving target out of depots more difficult.

Yeah, tis true, it's much harder to hit infantry that knows how to fly.

If I can leap off a roof and land that gently (like we used to be able to do), how come we were not allowed to jump like that? I mean UP. If I can leap off the top roof to a CP, my legs must be strong enough to absorb that impact (has to be muscle strength, not bone), which implies I should be able to jump UP as well.

Maybe Depots need to be rethought?

Make them less camapable in town redesigns. A simple solution is to have them among other buildings. Still street around them, but narrow streets where a tank could drive, but it is literally almost scraping the depot.

53 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, tis true, it's much harder to hit infantry that knows how to fly.

If I can leap off a roof and land that gently (like we used to be able to do), how come we were not allowed to jump like that? I mean UP. If I can leap off the top roof to a CP, my legs must be strong enough to absorb that impact (has to be muscle strength, not bone), which implies I should be able to jump UP as well.

Maybe Depots need to be rethought?

Make them less camapable in town redesigns. A simple solution is to have them among other buildings. Still street around them, but narrow streets where a tank could drive, but it is literally almost scraping the depot.

what it's  actuality doing is creating choke points In the spawn.. cutting down the exits... which is the reverse of  what just about every other game on the face of the planet try's to do!!!!   the spawn point is really the one place where you don't want it easy to camp. the one place you should have as many different  exits as possible  the one place were you'll lose new players faster then billy wizz if its constantly camped...making it easyer to camp by design is a fool's game 

Edited by TheMouse

2 hours ago, usaf77 said:

Fully agree, and the implementation is pretty screwy too. Has anyone tried stepping off from aboard a stationary tank or truck yet? It seems to me around 8-10' drop should be the injury threshold. (A parachute jump during WW2 was equivalent to a 14; drop, requiring use of the landing-roll technique. Instead of changing the damage threshold, I'd just have changed the building to disallow exits via that large hole, and perhaps added more doors out at ground level.

• Haha 3

This is a great change - you shouldn't be able to run down the stairs at full tilt with full battle rattle, or jump off high points without getting injured. And if your CP is camped, well you better clear it or find a different place to spawn. EI jumping from the second floor only made it so one EI was able to dash out and mole a new CP, for the most part - a camped CP was still, and is still, a camped CP.

Minor adjustments may still be needed to prevent minor jumps and drops from hurting.

Edited by raptor34
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMouse said:

what it's  actuality doing is creating choke points In the spawn.. cutting down the exits... which is the reverse of  what just about every other game on the face of the planet try's to do!!!!   the spawn point is really the one place where you don't want it easy to camp. the one place you should have as many different  exits as possible  the one place were you'll lose new players faster then billy wizz if its constantly camped...making it easyer to camp by design is a fool's game 

This problem is far more broad than the flying infantry being a thing.

While I think the current model needs a little work, I'd rather have people NOT flying through the air.

Remember, while all of us hate being camped, the entire design of the game is pro-camping. Crappy flying infantry might slightly mitigate camping, but honestly it's noise level I think. All the flying infantry does is to make camping by other infantry hard. Tanks? Yeah, flying inf is not a problem, as they pour effectively limitless MG fire at the depot. So in the flying inf era, camping by armor is incentivized, infantry? Not so much.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tater said:

This problem is far more broad than the flying infantry being a thing.

While I think the current model needs a little work, I'd rather have people NOT flying through the air.

Remember, while all of us hate being camped, the entire design of the game is pro-camping. Crappy flying infantry might slightly mitigate camping, but honestly it's noise level I think. All the flying infantry does is to make camping by other infantry hard. Tanks? Yeah, flying inf is not a problem, as they pour effectively limitless MG fire at the depot. So in the flying inf era, camping by armor is incentivized, infantry? Not so much.

completely disagree...camping is what the game should be moving away from...not towards. limiting the ways out of the spawn is a big mistake,   if its not desired that people jump then redesign the spawn in a  way that makes it easier to get out  without getting camped.  the way its done now  just penalises the guy spawning in.

Edited by TheMouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Camping and especially over-pop camping is the biggest reasons for quits, rage quits, and even unsubs.

And Im no/t talking the prima-donnas that always expect someone else to be watching their backs but guys we cant afford to lose. Thing is winning is fun no matter how you win so the only way to slow down camping is thru a change in game mechanics and weapons. Thats why the thingamajig-47 was a move in the right direction tho I dont know how effective it will be with over-pop still in the game but it shows the Rats care and are responding//.

I have a lot of respect for them and the time they put into the game. Theres really no way you can force changes in gameplay but I think something so trivial as jumping from a depot, which both sides could do, was a fix looking for a problem.

1 hour ago, TheMouse said:

completely disagree...camping is what the game should be moving away from...not towards. limiting the ways out of the spawn is a big mistake,   if its not desired that people jump then redesign the spawn in a  way that makes it easier to get out  without getting camped.  the way its done now  just penalises the guy spawning in.

I hate camping as well. I agree completely, but as long as the depot is a spawn castle, it is 100% designed to be camped. Why should tanks get to camp, but not rifles?

Again, as the towns get reworked, perhaps the norm could in fact be closer to:

CP —— | building|--Depot--|building|

Where —— is something more like current street width with some shoulders, and -- is so narrow that tanks MIGHT be able to just fit, and might have to rotate in place to turn corners. ATGs can cruise around, and inf obviously. Tigher enough that trucks can JUST get out of garage and turn to get to a real street.

That would mitigate a ton of camping, and allow (indeed incentivize) inf to egress the Depot, and occupy the enterable buildings around it.

Yes and that is what irks me about not being able to jump a roof to a close cp. Maybe i just need to get used to it .... but feels inf are now funneled into downstairs doors ... not to mention if you survive getting out ..  now you go clear the cp which now has an invulnerable upstairs.