Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Tanks and new 500kg bomb

undercova

21 minutes ago, vanapo said:

Those are great questions. I'd add:

All reasonable to ask, and they all also have gameplay implications.

Why are tanks at the battlefield at all time even though there were fewer tanks available than planes and they did move around less because they are a bit slower?

What % of the year were tanks able to operate due to weather?

Agreed, we have those odd rainstorms, but they do nothing to vehicles. The game would need better fidelity WRT movement over different looking terrain—paved vs dirt roads, fields, etc.

If that was a thing, slow all movement due to mud, etc. Pretty tricky without actually being able to show deep mud, so probably just slowing speeds.

How fast could a truck drive at night without headlights?

Or off road. Our trucks should move at infantry speed off road.

FWIW I have driven very fast indeed at night with my lights completely off in rural NM and AZ. Highway speed by moonlight or even starlight, though not for super long periods. Paved, well marked roads. Not saying our trucks should do that.

How fast is the normal speed for a truck to drive through a forest?

Without a road? Probably something approaching a slow walking speed assuming it's someplace where the answer isn't "0."

How slow should infantry be able to move around at night without illumination?

Pretty fast, honestly. Night is not a problem really, the difference is how far you can see—our night should have different light levels depending on the moon, etc. Over broken ground or in ruins? Yeah, slower, but I think that should be slower than we have in daytime now, too. On a road, etc? I'd say night would be a marginal change once dark adapted—though bright flashes should then kill your night vision for a while (including tanks, etc).

We have redded out views, something akin to that as an effect that follows a blast of light at night would be cool.

4 hours ago, vanapo said:

Those are great questions. I'd add:

Why are tanks at the battlefield at all time even though there were fewer tanks available than planes and they did move around less because they are a bit slower?

What % of the year were tanks able to operate due to weather?

How fast could a truck drive at night without headlights?

How fast is the normal speed for a truck to drive through a forest?

How slow should infantry be able to move around at night without illumination?

those too are all legit.. I'd add

at which point does realism stop adding to the game, and starts to become detrimental to the game? You can absurdly go into great detailed realism, but the consequence on actual gameplay has to be a higher priority.