Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Welcome to WWII Online: Chokepoint

XOOM

• CORNERED RAT

I'd like to welcome everyone to the new WWII Online: Chokepoint forums. There's so much going on and I'm sure you've got questions. I only hope our announcements were clear on our 20th anniversary, which can be found here: The Future of WWII Online

To the Resistance & Liberation community joining us, I welcome you aboard with open arms. My name is Xoom and I'm the President of Playnet, Inc. / Cornered Rat Software. We are so excited about the future of the game!

Stefan is going to continue to be the project lead and he is our Wing 2 / Division lead on Chokepoint here at CRS. So you should expect the core of the game to remain the same, with the added support of being part of the WWII Online family.

Feel free to say hello, introduce yourselves and share with us your thoughts and experience with the RnL community / what you're hoping for here at Chokepoint.

For our existing WWII Onliner's, please welcome them aboard and feel free to ask questions as I know this is a lot to take in for you as well.

S! 

• Like 1

I'm sure that Xoom and the CRS community relations team will be doing their best to welcome everyone to CP from R&L, but if there are any questions or discussion topics that WWIIOL players can help with, feel free to post them.

A discussion contribution of my own: R&L of course is an infantry-only shooter, but even if all of the heavy weapons and vehicles in-game are just static props, they still have to be modeled. And, perhaps to a designed extent it might be interesting in the future to have certain vehicles functional...say, for a patrol ambush or supply-road interdiction. Or, maybe have certain tanks functional, just because purpose-built infantry AT weaponry and improvised AT methods are an interesting aspect of the WWII infantry experience.

We know from WWIIOL historical work that quite a bit of 1940-captured French equipment was provided to the semi-static defensive infantry divisions in the Atlantic Wall. These items, for instance:

By 1944, SOMUA S35 tanks were long obsolete for tank v. tank fighting, but were still quite capable of killing infantry. They mostly didn't go to Russia because their off-pavement mobility was poor in snow and mud. Some were used by German police/security forces in various locations where resistance forces were especially vigorous, but others were provided to the Atlantic Wall divisions.

Some also had their turrets removed and were used as artillery tractors. 

The Germans also often built strongpoint fortifications consisting of a cast-concrete faceted base on which a re-purposed turret from an otherwise-obsolete tank was mounted. For obscure historical reasons, the Germans called these improvised reused-turret fortifications "Tobruks". This one mounts the turret of a French Renault R35 tank, but turrets from Hotchkiss H35/39, SOMUA S35, Renault R40, Renault B1 and others were used as well depending on availability.

800px-Tobruk_at_the_CI_Military_Museum.j  

Many Mle 1897 75mm field guns were integrated into beach and strongpoint defenses for direct fire, or rebuilt as 7.5 cm Pak 97/38 for direct fire with mid-level AT capability. Some French-updated Mle 1897/1938 guns were used in the latter role as-is. Lots of these guns did go to Russia, but the number captured was large enough that they could be provided to the Atlantic Wall divisions as well.

And French CAMle 1938 25mm AA guns...similar to the Japanese license-built Type 96s...and various models of Hotchkiss 13.2mm AA HMGs were integrated by German engineers into strongpoints.

Much other French gear was captured, of course. These are a few instances where I recall mentions of Normandy use. Probably other gear will be relevant as well.

A lot of British equipment was captured, too. I think most of that was used up in Russia, but perhaps not all of it.

I don't know much yet about the R&L object set, but I haven't seen any of this older-but-still-encountered gear in the demos. WWIIOL has fully functional models of some of this gear, with others on the Soon list, that could be used as static props. My understanding is that WWIIOLalso has an extensive library of high-poly-count visual LOD0 models well beyond what's functionally modeled for WWIIOL gameplay. Perhaps WWIIOL will be able to provide some prop-objects to CP.

Edited by jwilly
  • Like 2

• XOOM pinned this topic
3 hours ago, Merc88 said:

nice  Hay Stankyus  still on 119?

Hwy 119? Yes I am. Good to see u back! S!

Glad to be back ... Merc87 came along.  Merc86 still in jail on public intoxication but we are hoping to have him back soon.     I retired  and living in high cotton.

• 3 weeks later...

Newb question, I have looked at the key map and can easily drop my gun, but how the hell do I pick [censored] up? lol I tried every key and once I drop a gun, I am SOL, and I cant pick up ammo and stuff I find.

also, how do I get access to the discord channel,  I don't even see it, or is it a different server?

Thanks and excited!!

Bueford

• 3 weeks later...
  • CORNERED RAT
On 6/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, bueford said:

Newb question, I have looked at the key map and can easily drop my gun, but how the hell do I pick [censored] up? lol I tried every key and once I drop a gun, I am SOL, and I cant pick up ammo and stuff I find.

also, how do I get access to the discord channel,  I don't even see it, or is it a different server?

Thanks and excited!!

Bueford

I am sure you have figured this out by now, but F is the function key, which should be pick up weapons and open doors. Otherwise check your keymapper within the game client.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Registered Users

Where do you go for what? @ltibbs Chokepoint is on Steam , you need to ask Xoom for a key to be able to access it through the "Builders" forum .