Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

PzJgr 1 acceleration + TTS

undercova

Me and Saffroli did some testing with Pz 2c and PzJgr 1

Both tanks have about the same horse power per ton ratio

- Pz 2c accelerates very fast and reaches its end speed at about 40 km/h on road

- PzJgr 1 accelerates very bad but in the end gets to 40 km/h too on road

- We started both the same time and ran to a 1000m distance spot. When the Pz 2c reached the spot the PzJgr 1 only made 750m in the same time.

- PzJgr 1 used the Maybach HL 38 TR engine with 100 HP ... instead of the poor Krupp M311 one

D6zHV5r.jpg

The chart also shows the Turret Traverse Speed (deg/s) for all tanks as much as i could get them. It seems that some tanks we have ingame have a much higher speed than they had in RL. Some are ingame slower.

• Thanks 1

• Registered Users

In my travels with the PzrJg I I noticed several things, too.

That little engine takes a while to wind up and maxes out at 3k/rpm.  To accelerate just make sure when you shift that the RPMs don't fall below 2k or it really bogs down.

The most surprising thing?  How fast it travels cross-country.  In most cases, it travels easily in 3rd gear gaining RPMs very slowly but increasing and on favorable terrain you can shift into 4th gear and listen to it chug along.

It certainly "feels" slow because the engines seems to never really wind up BUT my experience in driving it tells me it performs well when scooting cross-country to get into an ambush position.  Plus it can carry infantry, too.

FYI - I multi-crewed a PzrJg I outside of BEAMONT this weekend.  That was a potent and situationally aware fighting unit as we were on Discord together plus we had infantry as security.

!S,

tex

• Like 1

different transmissions....likely apples to oranges....but checking....its not all Hp/Weight...transmission and gearbox differences....testing now - but if it hits its spec speeds at maximum rpm I'm not sure what else we can do. It's using the correct engine. 

Edited by Scotsman

Tested PzJgr I in client - It's  spot on for 3rd, 4th and 5th gear for its rated top speed in that gear....its over-performing somewhat in first and second gear. If I adjust that to what it should be by specification it will only make your perception worse, but it's something we will likely do at some point.  Not sure what else I can add - engine is correct, engine rpm and horsepower are correct, gear ratios are correct, and speed by gear in the client are correct minus some overperformance in first and second gear. There is no error or bug that I see - only your perception of what should be rather than what actually was. We have to go by the vehicle manuals. If those are the gold standard there is no error. You are getting the spec speed at maximum rpm in each gear minus the overperformance in 1st, and 2nd. 

Ticket submitted to correct first and second gear for over performance. Reverse will also be slowed to the proper spec. speed. It was over performing in reverse as well. 

Edited by Scotsman

Is there something that  take the torque curve, rotating mass of the engine in to the acceleration calculation, and type of engine?

Not all engines pick up rpm in the same way, diesel, gasoline, big/small displacement.

They could all deliver the same Hp but behave very differently.

10 minutes ago, atgman said:

They could all deliver the same Hp but behave very differently.

Perhaps you're familiar with the power output / RPM curve for various engines.

58863cb65bd5ff6ed7edb03f419b51c6.gif

Assuming constant full throttle, gasoline engines produce much less power output at the lower end of their working RPM band than they do at the high end of that RPM band. So, acceleration must be much smaller at low engine RPM than at high RPM.

Diesel engines have a relatively flatter power output curve, and a narrower working RPM band.

I don't know where CRS obtained the power output / RPM curves for the engines they've modeled. Those curves, in relation to transmission ratios, are key to the questions being asked in this thread.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, Scotsman said:

Tested PzJgr I in client - It's  spot on for 3rd, 4th and 5th gear for its rated top speed in that gear....its over-performing somewhat in first and second gear. If I adjust that to what it should be by specification it will only make your perception worse, but it's something we will likely do at some point.  Not sure what else I can add - engine is correct, engine rpm and horsepower are correct, gear ratios are correct, and speed by gear in the client are correct minus some overperformance in first and second gear. There is no error or bug that I see - only your perception of what should be rather than what actually was. We have to go by the vehicle manuals. If those are the gold standard there is no error. You are getting the spec speed at maximum rpm in each gear minus the overperformance in 1st, and 2nd. 

I mean this is all gravy, but the issue is acceleration, not top speed. It's all well and good matching each gear to a given speed at maximum limited RPM but it doesn't take in consideration how quickly it takes to get there.

What do you mean by "overperforming" in 1st and 2nd?

Edited by saffroli

• 3 weeks later...

I found something interesting. I took a PzJgr on a sortie and went down a really steep hill, the acceleration was no quicker than on flat terrain.

Definitely indicates an issue. The only way that would be humanly possible is if you had huge compression ratio in the engine, and you weren't using any throttle, neither of which were true. I would have accelerated faster trying to deploy a Flak36 on the hill...

Edited by saffroli