Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Rat Chat - This Sunday (10/17/21)!

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

Matt "Xoom" Callahan

Rat Chat - This Sunday 10/17/21 @ 10AM Pacific
We have a very important Rat Chat (where developers meet with the players to discuss the game), and we're requesting your attendance. Please click the sign up button below for full details and RSVP.

Topics of discussion:
High Command / Game Design Changes
Squad Attack Objectives
WWII Online 1.0 progress updates
WWII Online 2.0 progress
WWII Online: Chokepoint progress

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jliV3k2jS6SaLPKBhnEaRA

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=atGRU6H5t7w:V3BGLcaKyRs:gIN9vFwOq eKII?i=atGRU6H5t7w:V3BGLcaKyRs:V_sGLiPBp eKII?i=atGRU6H5t7w:V3BGLcaKyRs:F7zBnMyn0
atGRU6H5t7w

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

On 10/16/2021 at 7:31 AM, Kilemall said:

TBH I don't like the look of this, but we'll see.

I'm quite nervous in regard to the squad AO's, which I think are probably an error, however, I'll certainly be giving it the benefit of the doubt until it's extensively play-tested. In the past, the ability of squads to set AO's or initiate attacks without meaningful reference to HC, has let either to gameplay that required a slew of corrective compensations, (recalling the enormous armour columns driven straight into AB's) or, led to some occasional prima-donna behaviour and hostility between very large squads demanding assets for attacks, but being noticeably absent from picking up the pieces after an attack had fallen on it's [censored], leaving the rest of use to try and cobble together a defence with what was left in the TOE.

One wrinkle that might aid in the new squad AO's, is for squads to be limited to a small area of towns, where that particular squad can place AO's, within which they can prosecute these squad AO's. At least then they'd have to take some responsibility for manning defences once they'd burned through the local supply in "their" area. I think that's a better model than just having a large squad teleport all over the map burning supply as they go without some limitations.

Like I said, I'm quite content to give this a try, but I remain nervous that the fundamental gameplay issues that led to AO's being directed by HC's have not been addressed prior to the implementation of squad AO's. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I really, really, like the extension of HC to all Lt Cols. Would I be right in thinking there's a means of declining this? When I do play, I'm often playing very late at night where use of discord is not feasible, and I'm often too tired to want to organise much beyond being an ML. I appreciate that those who play in their own TZ's do not have this issue to the same degree, but some of us do.

There's much else that looks really positive, especially the more nuanced use of APC's and trucks for different types of FMS's. The one area that did not come up in discussion for either Ww2ol or ww2ol 2.0 was the terrain, specifically getting rid of colliderless hedges and creating more difficulties for movement from one field to another, with various types of unit, IE some hedges being proof to infantry movement or wheeled/pushed weapons, others to light tanks/medium tanks etc, which is much needed to a) slow down the ability of an attack to deploy before depending players arrive (I applaud you that this is under active review by other means) but also to create lots more mini-choke-points, rather than the "sea-battle with tanks and infantry" we currently have. It would have been very good to hear more on the fidelity of the terrain and collidered linear obstacles as part of that, even if it's just an aim.

Otherwise, very favourable, with much to like there.

Edited by fidd

I too also love the Lt. Col. Deal. There will be some growing pains for sure but really feel as if it will help . The extra AO I'm not so sure about but we will see. I'm thinking it will spread forces too thin but am happy to try it and see how it shakes out.