Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Tiger shell penetration.

dandare9

yea

1 hour ago, jester said:

What's up brother no not actively playing just popping in to say hello now and then, if you use Discord the squad is still together and very active, something like 40-50 people in our discord many former WWIIOLers. I can PM you the invite if you'd like!

yeah dm me the info ill b getting a gaming comp around mid next month, just a warning though i havn't played a game since around the last time we winged up so ill b rusty

3 hours ago, BMBM said:

What you expect or experience may or may not tally with the actual result.

what ? what does this even mean ?  if the original poster of this thread, an exp player with many years, states multiple rounds from tiger onto a sherman less than 1000 meters and sherman would not frag....his experience in the engagement is the result...multiple rounds fired when at that distance one round should be all needed

3 hours ago, BMBM said:

time-consuming task for a small crew of volunteers who are wholly engaged in bringing new content forward.

maybe some don't want 'new content' maybe they just want the existing content to work correctly 

3 hours ago, BMBM said:

Now, we can divert attention to the Tiger experience here expressed, using assets sorely needed elsewhere

then do it...why dont u take the issue at hand seriously. if an exp and good player (original thread poster)  with multiple years playing saying a tiger has problems fragging a sherm less than 1000 meters and it takes 15+ rounds...thats a major problem for half of the playerbase with their best afv. Plus he is not the only one mentioning it here or in the past

It would take u guys less than 60 mins...you can move equipment around much easier than playerbase. The question is...if tiger can not one shot frag a sherman less than 1000 meters, what will be done ? If Cru3 can frag a tiger gunner at 1500 frontally, what will be done ? 

I just feel u guys dont wanna find a problem because then u have to address and fix the problem. 

go back and re-read what he said and then tell us there is no problem

4 hours ago, BMBM said:

contingent on your good behaviour.

<shakes head> really ? that's how it is ?  geez dude, don't trip on the power of closing a discussion within the forums for the playerbase. 

this crap never happened orange forum days

• Like 2

just close it, its all been said.

then close the next one that pops up in its place

Edited by Kidd27

On 10/25/2021 at 2:49 AM, Kilemall said:

Are you talking about firing plunging fire onto Tiger deck from a distance?  DEFINITELY possible for a 6lber.

Used to do long range naval type shots with H39s onto PzIIIF decks.  The optics aren't cooperative and the PzIII needs to hold still, but the plunging shot can be done.

As for Pak38, if you can get your shot incoming perpendicular to the Sherm's front slope plate, should be able to do some damage that way.  Turrets is going to be a bit rough to get around, I'd tend to want a shot from the side plunging into the engine.  Churchills are just going to be tough, that turret is really going to stop a lot of shots.  But otherwise shouldn't be more then 20mm.

Either way, the Pak38 should be able to do top deck plunging at 600-1100m, and distant arced shots from further out.  Gonna need a good angle to come in perpendicular enough, tricky cause I'm not sure you can keep up gunner observation for some of that.

I wish people would stop perpetuating this myth of hitting the deck with "plunging fire". 

You are NOT firing a mortar.  

If you actually manage to hit the deck plating from that "plunging shot", at what angle do you think it's hitting? 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, dandare9 said:

I have noticed, and reported, that the Tiger has trouble penetrating enemy Shermans. I hit a standard Sherman 16 times frontally at 600m the other day. He was not behind a berm btw. He continued firing up to the last shot which made him explode. I'm no noob to this game (19 years continuous service). Yesterday, Smithy in a Firefly, took out a sh.tload of armour at an fb. he could not be killed easily. I lost 3 or 4 Tigers to him. Firefly turret armour was only 75mm yet I couldn't kill him even when I sneaked up to 400m from him! He took 6 shots before he spotted where I was and in 1 shot killed me. 

I stopped using the Tiger v M4s for this reason. Countless times i'd fire the 'kill shot', only to find I needed to fire another. Then another....

Flanks and rear is fine. Frontal it's an ammo drain.

Stug G and 4G/H don't seem to be affected. 

I've seen veteran describe a Tiger rounds effect on the M4.

Edited by rotsechs
  • Thanks 1

I just did a controlled test w Tiger vs M4A2 frontally and at various angle off and at various elevation at 1500 m. The results tally vs pencalc and is consistent with log output.

At 1500m the 88 does not hole the glacis and turret front/mantlet, but does, dependent on angle, penetrate the hull front with marginal joules to spare, stopping in the transmission where it explodes and maims some crew. All because of armor slope and decreasing projectile velocity. The stopped rounds made sizeable scoops but did not cause internal spall.

Inside 1000m, no problemo.

6 hours ago, BMBM said:

I just did a controlled test w Tiger vs M4A2 frontally and at various angle off and at various elevation at 1500 m. The results tally vs pencalc and is consistent with log output.

At 1500m the 88 does not hole the glacis and turret front/mantlet, but does, dependent on angle, penetrate the hull front with marginal joules to spare, stopping in the transmission where it explodes and maims some crew. All because of armor slope and decreasing projectile velocity. The stopped rounds made sizeable scoops but did not cause internal spall.

Inside 1000m, no problemo.

Tiger should be doing around 91mm at 1500 m, from what i can find the turret front on the Sherman M4A2 should be between 74mm turret front sides, and 89mm around the gun.

• Like 1