Jump to content
Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Damage model so inconsistent/ View range of inf


dm79
 Share

Recommended Posts

Oldzeke's description of the process of hunting down issues and fixing them is spot on. Part of that process is admitting there is an issue to be hunted down and working on it as such, without trying to explain away referencing the possibilities and the unknowns, blah, blah.

See the difference here is that Dm79, the OP, one of many vets of his caliber reporting this problem which most definitely exists, and the CRS reps in this this thread trying to offer possible explanations as to why it might exist, is that Dm currently sits at the top of the top tankers chart with over 3,000 minutes in tanks this campaign alone and has more sorties logged this campaign than all three of the CRS guys combined. And he is just one of many. I think the experience of a player like this should suffice to legitimize an issue existing when it is reported. That thought for whatever reason just doesn't hold value to some.

Edited by jester
clarity
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

Can interaction distances be viewer unit type dependent?

Aircraft could remain at 700 meters for stutter avoidance, and in accord with Scotsman's recent post that if anything aircraft currently can see too much ground detail from too far away. 

Surface units OTOH could be 1K or 1.5K, for better gameplay.

This would be awesome if doable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CORNERED RAT

End of the day we (CRS) are players that happen to also volunteer our time to try and improve the game, and keep it alive.

We each have our own opinions and they may not always be the perfect customer relations answers as, as stated, we are ourselves customers that happen to also be giving time to everyone else to help improve the game. 

There are times we truly would like to go deep into the weeds to better explain things but past experience shows that can bite us in so many ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jester said:

Oldzeke's description of the process of hunting down issues and fixing them is spot on. Part of that process is admitting there is an issue to be hunted down and working on it as such, without trying to explain away referencing the possibilities and the unknowns, blah, blah.

See the difference here is that Dm79, the OP, one of many vets of his caliber reporting this problem which most definitely exists, and the CRS reps in this this thread trying to offer possible explanations as to why it might exist, is that Dm currently sits at the top of the top tankers chart with over 3,000 minutes in tanks this campaign alone and has more sorties logged this campaign than all three of the CRS guys combined. And he is just one of many. I think the experience of a player like this should suffice to legitimize an issue existing when it is reported. That thought for whatever reason just doesn't hold value to some.

You’re not listening, or I’m not making myself totally clear:

You think that I’m trying to explain away or deny possible issues: I’m not. 

When addressing a player concern we first have to isolate what’s wrong, in the data, modelling and/or code. Only when the actual error is found can we fix it. We can’t fix a thing based on general experience, we have to isolate the data. This is a process, and consumes time and effort.

Now, wrt proj vs plate, this data has changed very little over time. Scotsman will have to give details there. So of the constants that Dm79 relates to in his very sparse descriptions we really only know a few: distance, projectile and general target. We don’t know the exact angle of impact or exactly where or on which plate hits were registered (yes it matters a lot). With this exact same data we can replicate and see whether the yield is good or bad. When we do lab tests, exact data is logged and sometimes the output can be very surprising/eye-opening - but still true and verified. I can’t comment on connectivity/server issues as it’s not my domain, other than to acknowledge that there may be interferences there. I don’t know, therefore I say may be.

I spend minimum 30-40 hours per week on improving the game, minimum 2000 minutes. This campaign that’s over 80,000 minutes. I could spend that time in game instead to satisfy your experience requirement, but then there wouldn’t be very many new vehicles or bugfixes or audits fortcoming.

Finally, a comment wrt vis distance. I too was disappointed when visdist was decreased, especially given the supernatural speed of troops over ground. This was bad for tankers. OTOH I’ve sprained my eyes trying to spot a uniformed person against foliage background at that distance in real life - so I understand and acknowledge that setting. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BMBM said:

You’re not listening, or I’m not making myself totally clear:

You think that I’m trying to explain away or deny possible issues: I’m not. 

When addressing a player concern we first have to isolate what’s wrong, in the data, modelling and/or code. Only when the actual error is found can we fix it. We can’t fix a thing based on general experience, we have to isolate the data. This is a process, and consumes time and effort.

Now, wrt proj vs plate, this data has changed very little over time. Scotsman will have to give details there. So of the constants that Dm79 relates to in his very sparse descriptions we really only know a few: distance, projectile and general target. We don’t know the exact angle of impact or exactly where or on which plate hits were registered (yes it matters a lot). With this exact same data we can replicate and see whether the yield is good or bad. When we do lab tests, exact data is logged and sometimes the output can be very surprising/eye-opening - but still true and verified. I can’t comment on connectivity/server issues as it’s not my domain, other than to acknowledge that there may be interferences there. I don’t know, therefore I say may be.

I spend minimum 30-40 hours per week on improving the game, minimum 2000 minutes. This campaign that’s over 80,000 minutes. I could spend that time in game instead to satisfy your experience requirement, but then there wouldn’t be very many new vehicles or bugfixes or audits fortcoming.

Finally, a comment wrt vis distance. I too was disappointed when visdist was decreased, especially given the supernatural speed of troops over ground. This was bad for tankers. OTOH I’ve sprained my eyes trying to spot a uniformed person against foliage background at that distance in real life - so I understand and acknowledge that setting. 

Good post, beyond recording these instances  vague as in  I did this and it did that, is about as good as I can do. Unless the game can generate a text files output log for each sortie and keeps the last 3 or something small stored, it's never going to be anything more from a player point of view than vague. 

As an IT engineer I completely understand the difficulty in finding a problem with little to no data and as you point out you are left to try and recreate the fault which Is very time consuming and often a frustrating task as it could be many things or something you might never replicate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CORNERED RAT

I just looked up your game log @dm79 and i notice you are getting kicked from the server for  too few updates from your computer. This does not help with what you are experiencing. I know this is not 100% the issue but getting a better conection to the game server will help.  We can work with you to try and help. 

12 Dec 21 15:24 [Mechelen->? M#0 1072187/-1] *ignored prior kick message
12 Dec 21 15:24 [Mechelen->? M#83168 1072187/3089] too few updates from client
12 Dec 21 14:32 [Launois->? M#83468 1072187/3089] too few updates from client
12 Dec 21 11:01 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] *ignored prior kick message
12 Dec 21 11:01 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] Slow client updates (Inbound)
12 Dec 21 10:58 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] *ignored prior kick message
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, OHM said:

I just looked up your game log @dm79 and i notice you are getting kicked from the server for  too few updates from your computer. This does not help with what you are experiencing. I know this is not 100% the issue but getting a better conection to the game server will help.  We can work with you to try and help. 

12 Dec 21 15:24 [Mechelen->? M#0 1072187/-1] *ignored prior kick message
12 Dec 21 15:24 [Mechelen->? M#83168 1072187/3089] too few updates from client
12 Dec 21 14:32 [Launois->? M#83468 1072187/3089] too few updates from client
12 Dec 21 11:01 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] *ignored prior kick message
12 Dec 21 11:01 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] Slow client updates (Inbound)
12 Dec 21 10:58 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] *ignored prior kick message

That was by far the worst auto de spawns i have had, most of the time i get one, although i was able to recreate it by alt tab to a browser window and open a web page that seemed to drop packets like mad, i am running on 70mb but have a 500mb fiber being installed next week, so i hope that should help,  i have checked with most of the other EU/UK players and we all have around 165/175ms ping with the odd spikes, but what can i say when the kids playing on his PC, Wife is on the internet or watching Flix, seems like WW2ol goes to the bottom of the priority que. :P

That log would imply its my upload speed that is the issue right?

Edited by dm79
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, OHM said:

I just looked up your game log @dm79 and i notice you are getting kicked from the server for  too few updates from your computer. This does not help with what you are experiencing. I know this is not 100% the issue but getting a better conection to the game server will help.  We can work with you to try and help. 

12 Dec 21 15:24 [Mechelen->? M#0 1072187/-1] *ignored prior kick message
12 Dec 21 15:24 [Mechelen->? M#83168 1072187/3089] too few updates from client
12 Dec 21 14:32 [Launois->? M#83468 1072187/3089] too few updates from client
12 Dec 21 11:01 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] *ignored prior kick message
12 Dec 21 11:01 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] Slow client updates (Inbound)
12 Dec 21 10:58 [Jodoigne->? M#83100 1072187/3089] *ignored prior kick message

I would say that's probably the best explanation I have seen . That does shed light on a lot of things in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dre21 said:

I would say that's probably the best explanation I have seen . That does shed light on a lot of things in my opinion.

It would if i was not 100 meters from the fb vs each time listed with nothing going on near me other than driving on a road... 

Driving, alt tab to desktop, jump back in game dotted line gone, auto despawn, next time drive almost at same point of road dotted lines go auto dispawn stayed in game this time no alt tab, rest of logs are same as i described here. Went and got a cup of tea came back and worked fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • CORNERED RAT

It may be a router setting , i have my router to make the PC i play on the #1 priority in the list.  and if you can find your MTU setting in it and set it to the max  would be a good thing

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...