Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Ramming A/C

Devildrivr

• Registered Users
10 minutes ago, vanapo said:

Serious question if answering is possible: How are the differences concerning the outcome of high velocity mid air collisions between 2 planes one of which doesn't report being struck?

In this game if your client did not show the guy that rammed you as being in your airspace...ie your client did not see the ram then it does not affect your aircraft. MS did it different in that, best as we could tell, if either saw a ram it then said you both rammed. It was much different game than this in that the player that started the "room" was host to all that joined. There was no remote server that all joined but rather you joined the hosting players computer.

Imagine a system would be implemented that ensures that always both planes that are involved in a collision would explode. Then the same players who are today complaining about them dying and the enemy surviving would be the same people who would then complain about dying despite no collision was happening on their screen. :p

It is not easy to grasp and I am getting used to getting frowned upon whenever I explain it on Luftwaffe coms,... I am sorry to say, Vanapo & Devil, but Kidd27 and Jwilly are correct on this topic.

!S

Cooper

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hillstorm said:

I'm the kid in the dunce cap reading that and saying, um, yes - that IS what I want. In the case of a midair collision, both planes should at least be catastrophically damaged ... I mean, right?

Here's a crazy thought. Get rid of collision effects altogether. Literally allow planes to fly through one another, the way same-side infantry can run through each other or vehicles can run through them, like magic. 

Would that be so terrible? Not as terrible as the feeling when an enemy plane is bearing down on me to collide with me on purpose, and I can't get out of the way because I'm in an old, slow bomber that can't maneuver to save its (my) life. It's a perversion of the game. 

No, this would turn the game's air combat into a cosmic joke.

Other sims have had special events or private servers where a setting like this was turned on, and it's pure arcade with no semblance of real WWII combat.

11 minutes ago, greyman said:

No, this would turn the game's air combat into a cosmic joke.

Other sims have had special events or private servers where a setting like this was turned on, and it's pure arcade with no semblance of real WWII combat.

Is that really true? Respecting your opinion (and I do appreciate the reply), I have to wonder: Do other sims reward pilots who intentionally fly into enemy planes? Because that seems like the joke to me. I qualify all of this by saying I don't fly very often, I suck at it (the combat part at least) so I realize I might be out of my element here ... but it just seems like an imperfect, but easy and somewhat obvious solution. 

I will admit it wouldn't be a great situation, but I'm hearing a lot of explanations for the way things are currently without any semblance of a solution, and that's frustrating. I shouldn't be able to use my plane as a missile (unless perhaps I'm a Japanese kamikaze pilot) and neither should others. 

Edited by hillstorm

1 hour ago, tcooper said:

Then the same players who are today complaining about them dying and the enemy surviving would be the same people who would then complain about dying despite no collision was happening on their screen. :p

I am complaining because I am dying and  no collision was happening on my screen right now -  yet the plane that supposedly collided with me flies away.

And I am complaining about the last part.

Because the chance of blowing up increases with latency.

I have never played below 180ms latency and with above 200 for most of the years.

You might get the point.

Edited by vanapo

1 minute ago, vanapo said:

I am complaining because I am dying because no collision was happening on my screen yet the plane that supposedly collided with me flies away.

If you've got some footage of this happening I'd like to see it.

9 minutes ago, hillstorm said:

Is that really true? Respecting your opinion (and I do appreciate the reply), I have to wonder: Do other sims reward pilots who intentionally fly into enemy planes? Because that seems like the joke to me. I qualify all of this by saying I don't fly very often, I suck at it (the combat part at least) so I realize I might be out of my element here ... but it just seems like an imperfect, but easy and somewhat obvious solution. 

Yeah just being able to hold the gunsight on an enemy plane and fly right through them with the trigger down completely destroys any realistic flying whatsoever.

WWIIOnline doesn't reward you for intentionally ramming other planes -- it kills you.

Edited by greyman

6 minutes ago, greyman said:

If you've got some footage of this happening I'd like to see it.

That's why I am begging pilots to watch out for this and probably record it happening. A few instances would be sufficient.

I trained myself generally to avoid those situations whenever I can.

Which I would advice every pilot to do. And which I would like to see from any pilot. Yet, there seem to be some pilots who always go for headons. Strangely, they come out of them without blowing up most of the time. One can only wonder why .... or how many of them are located close to the server.

Edited by vanapo

1 minute ago, greyman said:

Yeah just being able to hold the gunsight on an enemy plane and fly right through them with the trigger down completely destroys any realistic flying whatsoever.

WWIIOnline doesn't reward you for intentionally ramming other planes -- it kills you.

Okay I get that. Not good. But to your second point, I thought it was common knowledge that pilots who ram often don't die - I've been killed that way plenty of times, and it's been obvious they've flown straight toward me ... I try to evade and they keep adjusting to my evasive moves to take me right out. Are you saying that every time that's happened, they've also been killed? Hard for me to believe they would want the kill that badly. Fly all that way just to suicide?

1 minute ago, hillstorm said:

Okay I get that. Not good. But to your second point, I thought it was common knowledge that pilots who ram often don't die - I've been killed that way plenty of times, and it's been obvious they've flown straight toward me ... I try to evade and they keep adjusting to my evasive moves to take me right out. Are you saying that every time that's happened, they've also been killed? Hard for me to believe they would want the kill that badly. Fly all that way just to suicide?

You're only killed if on your computer your plane connects with an enemy plane. If the enemy plane didn't explode, it's because he didn't connect on his computer.

2 hours ago, greyman said:

You're only killed if on your computer your plane connects with an enemy plane. If the enemy plane didn't explode, it's because he didn't connect on his computer.

So if I connect with the enemy plane then both touched  right?  It makes no sense to me to say you touched but he didn't . Plenty of times where I stayed the course and didn't touch the stick and flew the same path , collision happened and I blew up and he kept flying . So he pulled up to late , I touched he kept flying and I die? 

Kinda hard to decide when to make a maneuver when I don't know where he and I really are  according to the pic that they show with the example of the spit and BF109.

Does one have to think that they are always 2 or 3 plane lengths ahead of where they really are ? 

But maybe I can try to test it ,problem is my one joystick has a contact issue that pushes everything to the right , but I guess if I can get it level enough I might be able to get autopilot to work.

1 hour ago, Dre21 said:

So if I connect with the enemy plane then both touched  right?  It makes no sense to me to say you touched but he didn't.

Think again about the concept of information-travel-time. Your knowledge of where the enemy is right now, i.e. where your client displays them for you, has to be one information-travel-time behind where the player flying that plane thinks he is. And ditto for him regarding you.

That's how games like this work. You're playing against and with other aircraft that are at locations slightly time-behind where their players see themselves as being.

Does one have to think that they are always 2 or 3 plane lengths ahead of where they really are ? 

As far as your client and computer are concerned, where you see other aircraft is real. That's where you have to shoot to hit them. 

But the version of the game earth-and-sky where you're flying exists only on your computer. Every player has their own locally displayed version of the game earth-and-sky. And, the locations in the sky of all the aircraft in a given area are slightly different between the various players' computers...because there's non-zero latency, or information-travel-time. That's how it has to be, until either the internet and gaming computers become infinitely fast or air combat games gain magical powers.

Edited by jwilly
  • Like 1