Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

paras dieing when leaving plane

Tatonka

• CORNERED RAT

How fast was the air speed?  I don't think that'll matter as I don't think that wind / wall of air has been modeled for infantry, but maybe there is a magic air speed.   A few tested after you posted on facebook and were able to float down, so as many details as possible to recreate the scenario will matter as whatever you are specifically doing is ending not well.  

i remember how you were not able to descend at all back in the old days when you jumped at high alt :D

so you were stuck forever up there

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, undercova said:

i remember how you were not able to descend at all back in the old days when you jumped at high alt :D

so you were stuck forever up there

You use to be able to crash the plane into the CP and throw all the inf onboard into the CP alive.

• 3 weeks later...

^^^ good times lol

That and what undercover posted.

We ran them Paras through the ringer when  they were released. Driving off the cliffs with an Opel full of squadies to see if the chutes would open lolz. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, dm79 said:

You use to be able to crash the plane into the CP and throw all the inf onboard into the CP alive.

Lmao 

20 hours ago, ezrelay said:

^^^ good times lol

That and what undercover posted.

We ran them Paras through the ringer when  they were released. Driving off the cliffs with an Opel full of squadies to see if the chutes would open lolz. 

Lmao 

:lol:

I have a feeling that there is a hard coded figure of 4000 for the length of the raycast used to measure how high above the ground an infantryman is, if you are higher than that the Ray will never return a hit on the ground. 

• Like 1

• Registered Users

Just tested on the test server. Got a ju52 to 6km alt and jumped my para out. Para floated all the way down with no issue. 6km para drop takes awhile

• Like 1

• Registered Users

Heh, floated a para up to purple sky...something above 13k alt. 12 minutes in I'm starting to draw in terrain below me.

• Like 1

• Registered Users

I've tried jumping at 4km and just below and above. This last test was so high it took 25 real time minutes to land the para. Drifted 5km south of where the chute opened. 

I can't replicate the para dying.

• Like 1

On live server approx 1.5wk ago: using ju52 + one para, jumped right above cloud layer (3k?) para instantly died upon pressing jump key. Ju52 was engine off, 0 throttle, near stall speeds.

I quickly respawned and tried it again same town, making sure to be below clouds <3k alt this time (ju52 was again at 0 throttle, eng off, near stall speeds): survived.

------------------

1 month prior to this, I did a practice jump on training server. I was way above clouds and didnt have a problem (ju52 was again eng off/0 throttle/near stall).

On campaign server I was surprised I died. Upon dying I asked side chat about it. Someone mentioned this thread & advised I stay below 3k (which I then did as mentioned above).

Will try to replicate soon and update.

------------------

Update: Tested para under same condition on live server earlier today, jumped well above clouds, 3k+, survived.

Maybe the death tatonka and I had was a fluke. I will keep eye on all variables every time I jump in case it happens again. Will report back.

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I did a few para drops (just 1 para) over the past 2-3 days. Out of those 4-5 solo drops, the para died 2 times instantly upon jumping out. No flak, ai, ea etc. I have vid will post later.

Since we know that speed/alt etc doesnt effect it I begin to wonder: is it possible that the para is hitting the plane and dying? Is it possible for inf to be effected like that?

I know ive driven a 232 down a hill going extremely fast and a guy pulled an opel out of a depot, I hit it and instantly exploded (lmao, still remember his name @faulkner) Could this be a similar situation?

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

the plane is near stall speed if I recall correctly, I wouldnt have had flaps down otherwise.
It is banked a little to the side.
@Tatonka do you remember if your plane was level or not when you jumped? Maybe it's unrelated, but its the most simple thing that comes to mind at the moment

I've jumped out of some planes that were barely within the allowable angle to jump though and never had issues, will try it out on T server soon.

p.s. the only good thing about this bug is the thought of if the corpse doesn't disappear before it hits the ground, I wonder what someone would think if it slammed down in front of them lol.

Happened again today. Didnt have recording up though.

Its weird how this never seems to happen when doing mass para drops. Like last week when xoom was doin that axis op. 30+ paras jumping, youd think atleast one wouldve instantly died based on how frequently this happens to me.

• Like 1

happened like 2-3 times today. Two times I didn't die. Happened a few times yesterday as well.

Not sure what to do, may try bailing the plane and see if it kicks the para out (unsure if it does) maybe that will not cause this bug to happen

Will probably just resort to gliding a dude in instead, doesnt take much longer than a para.

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

Weird. Was the plane continuing to fly on? If the pilot is despawning/CTDing at the moment of the drop, I could see how it might take a few seconds to sync its status so visually the plane might still be there but the server might think it isn't and then doesn't tell the chutes to open properly. Same goes with bad pings on either the para or the pilot.  If the pilot is continuing to fly and the pings are good, I don't understand what else could be the issue short of some really wonky bug.  From the clips I watched, it's almost as if the plane collided with something and threw the paras out--similar to ground infantry on a truck that hits a hill too hard.  I wouldn't know what could possibly do that in the air though.  Maybe it's a bug on one specific para-unit? Take note what units are dying like this, it might help track down the root cause.

It would be amusing if RDP got hit so hard that factories in game are struggling to produce quality parachutes to the effect they're just made out of plastic wrap, bubble gum, and duct tape from time to time :P

• Thanks 1

The plane continues flying on every time and doesnt get a lag spike as far as I know.

I may be wrong but if the plane looks janky it could be because of how the game renders other unit's movement during death cam sequences. The plane can be in auto pilot and level and it will still look like that.

It happens to all para units that i've used FG42, rifleman, RPAT, sapper.

At any speed, any alt etc it can occur. 

Will keep trying and documenting it as it happens. Had one drop today so far and survived, heh.

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

• Registered Users

What's interesting is it looks like the chute never opens. However you can still see the chute on the character.

Are you playing on a PC or a Mac?

• Registered Users

I've got some time tonight so I'll see if I can replicate this. Looking at all the video the drops are over factories or airfields where you do have high shooting flak. However, whilst technically possible you are being hit by flak the exact second you leave the plane & before the chute opens, it doesn't sound or look like that to me. 

So I guess the questions is, do you ever get this happening over places where there is no heavy flak?

I'll test dropping over  areas with & without heavy flak and see If I can see any difference. 

I did have a thought that it could actually be a case where the para is actually killed when inside the plane, but the game client is only updating that fact when you press jump, thus the player dying instantly without the chute opening. This is easy to test so I'll report back what I find.

• Like 1

• Registered Users

OK, so here's my testing result.

Took a Ju52 to 4.5K with 2 pars on it over a factory town, both died the instant they jumped exactly as in your videos.

Repeated it over an empty area of the map, same thing, both died instantly.

So as I can repeat the issue I'll make sure it's ticketed and we'll see if we can find what's causing it.

Thank you all for your videos and comments. This is the perfect way to report these things.

• Like 1

possible reason because of new chute ? para hits the plane ? the chute hits the plane ? any damage model added ? an obstacle ?

did some values change ?

because of the upgraded steering ?

• Registered Users

I was thinking what had changed  recently.

As you say, the faster steering was added, as where a couple of new para types. There the only things that come to mind.

I guess the question to lovewing & tatonka is did this bug always happen, or has this only just started. And if it's a recent issue can you remember when you first came across it?

• Like 1