Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

[Gfx] Blinking/shimmering bushes foilage & decals

lovewing

If you DO or DO NOT have this problem shown in the first short vid below, please reply and let me know + what GPU youre using

When the player's view moves it causes tree foilage/bushes to shimmer/blink. It also occurs on decals such as bullet holes, impact soot from explosions, transparent layers on buildings such as shading and damaged building soot.

Examples:

Various foilage pieces shimmering here as camera moves

----

this shows a depot building's transparent shading layer blinking

------

notice the blinking decal of cannon impact soot against building. Then watch for 10 more secs, the next cannon round destroys building and you can see entire wall blinks

https://streamable.com/wur8uh

-------

This excerpt is from a vid I made in 2013 when using 9850. Notice when I zoom in the trees in background exhibit the blinking

https://streamable.com/v9ttbn

----------

I have asked on discord and forums, the following players have this issue

Vongters (3060 ti)

Mosizlak (2070 Super)

OldZeke (1060ti)

Lovewing (1060, also happened in 2013 video I had when using 9850)

The following players do not have the issue

Pk (960)

Bofors (1650)

-----

I have tried enabling disabling various features both game settings and settings in nvidia inspector (note: player Bofors has the same nvidia inspector settings that I do, he does not have the blinking though)

Here are my nvidia settings

goJ39GF.jpg

------

If this is not a player problem, I have found some old posts where game devs show similar issues they encountered when using Speedtree. The issues varied from z fighting, blackface culling, normal maps and wind parameters. I documented some of the ways they resolved it just in case it may be useful.

Edited by lovewing

I noticed today that the depot decal shading wasnt blinking while I was using infantry. I then tried viewing the buildings with 232 commander like my other vids above and it did not blink. Once I zoomed with binocs it began to blink.

This may be related to LOD.

I will ask some ofthe dudes who dont have this issue to try binocs with a commander. Maybe they just dont think they have the issue because they may not use units with high levels of zoom?

• Registered Users

The depot offending textures are getting removed. Was a good idea but isnt working correctly. Trees we have no control over (that I know of) and different video cards/drivers have lots of strange effects to some textures. Some textures have normals while others don't etc.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

To update this, it seems to be mostly caused when using equipment that has high zoom level optics. More zoom = the worse things flicker.

For example, looking at a far off hill side with an 88 commander or DD commander may or may not be a problem if you're a photosensitive epileptic, lol.
For the people who say that they do not have this issue, I wonder if it is because they do not use high zoom units often.

I will try to see if anyone doesn't have the issue even when using high levels of zoom.