Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Heads up: Less than $20 alternative to track IR

lovewing

When flying maybe you are fine with using the standard keys like numpad to look around (Cooper says he uses numpad even so it seems to be just fine) but I liked the thought of not having to do that. I didn't want to pay for track ir unit though so I first tried a cheaper option thanks to a post I seen on here where someone recommended it in some old forum post.

If you wear headphones it will work for you, or you'd need a hat or head band.

It is a ~$16 "Air Mouse" its like a remote control used for smart TVs where you move the mouse cursor on a TV screen by pointing the remote. The game only uses X and Y axis so this works great in game. I just spawn in, enable free look and start moving my head around. It took a little time to get used to it, sometimes I have to tap the #1 key (you could also tap freelook key twice to get the same result) to re-center my view in game if I move my head way too much but it happens less and less now. You can make the Crew Position 1 or Freelook key to your hat switch or some other easily accessible button on joystick as well to make re-centering easy.

Here is the one I use, im sure there are other options. I chose this one because it uses a rechargable battery (You can keep it connected via usb cord too tho if you want it to stay charging constantly, I will do that later on if the battery ever starts to weaken)

I just used some rubber bands and velcro straps that I bought for a dollar or two to mount it to my headphones. It doesn't have to be perfectly centered or anything to still work. here is pic of mine to give idea of how ghetto you can set it up and it will still work

Here is the one I bought, I am not shilling for this and dont get paid, if you dont live in the US and/or dont mind waiting a while for it to show up you can find the same one cheaper on alibaba etc. Just make sure it has gyroscopic sensors and also sensitivity setting. This one allows you to hold two buttons down to change the settings of sensitivity, if a remote cant do this it may make it less useful to use becaue your head would have to move too much.

https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-Universal-Keyboard-Programmable-Raspberry/dp/B07LD5DPNR/ref=rvi_sccl_1/136-2170043-6513001?pd_rd_w=RBuB3&pf_rd_p=f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_r=6CH5XZXG703QP82K0QVC&pd_rd_r=7746fd5c-535c-4046-b90a-85ef876b34bf&pd_rd_wg=M929P&pd_rd_i=B07LD5DPNR&psc=1

I've never used track ir and so it may be superior in some way that I am unaware of but I just know I have watched fritz's live streams and I only have to move my head the same amount that he does to get the same result. I say this because ive seen youtube videos where people show it off on warthunder and they have to move their head a huge amount lol, maybe theirs doesnt have sensitivity settings.

If anyone else does this and has any tips or any suggestions on remotes then throw it up.

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

• lovewing changed the title to Heads up: Less than $20 alternative to track IR

A player who didnt want to fly due to no trackir tried using this method. He has been flying quite a bit now. He bought a cheaper $10 one that runs on AAA batteries and said it works great for him.

For what its worth I have had success using this in war thunder sim and now il2 bos.

1 hour ago, lovewing said:

A player who didnt want to fly due to no trackir tried using this method. He has been flying quite a bit now. He bought a cheaper $10 one that runs on AAA batteries and said it works great for him.

For what its worth I have had success using this in war thunder sim and now il2 bos.

A video showing how this actually works in game would be helpful.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:29 AM, lovewing said:

When flying maybe you are fine with using the standard keys like numpad to look around (Cooper says he uses numpad even so it seems to be just fine) but I liked the thought of not having to do that. I didn't want to pay for track ir unit though so I first tried a cheaper option thanks to a post I seen on here where someone recommended it in some old forum post.

If you wear headphones it will work for you, or you'd need a hat or head band.

It is a ~$16 "Air Mouse" its like a remote control used for smart TVs where you move the mouse cursor on a TV screen by pointing the remote. The game only uses X and Y axis so this works great in game. I just spawn in, enable free look and start moving my head around. It took a little time to get used to it, sometimes I have to tap the #1 key (you could also tap freelook key twice to get the same result) to re-center my view in game if I move my head way too much but it happens less and less now. You can make the Crew Position 1 or Freelook key to your hat switch or some other easily accessible button on joystick as well to make re-centering easy.

Here is the one I use, im sure there are other options. I chose this one because it uses a rechargable battery (You can keep it connected via usb cord too tho if you want it to stay charging constantly, I will do that later on if the battery ever starts to weaken)

I just used some rubber bands and velcro straps that I bought for a dollar or two to mount it to my headphones. It doesn't have to be perfectly centered or anything to still work. here is pic of mine to give idea of how ghetto you can set it up and it will still work

Here is the one I bought, I am not shilling for this and dont get paid, if you dont live in the US and/or dont mind waiting a while for it to show up you can find the same one cheaper on alibaba etc. Just make sure it has gyroscopic sensors and also sensitivity setting. This one allows you to hold two buttons down to change the settings of sensitivity, if a remote cant do this it may make it less useful to use becaue your head would have to move too much.

https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-Universal-Keyboard-Programmable-Raspberry/dp/B07LD5DPNR/ref=rvi_sccl_1/136-2170043-6513001?pd_rd_w=RBuB3&pf_rd_p=f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_r=6CH5XZXG703QP82K0QVC&pd_rd_r=7746fd5c-535c-4046-b90a-85ef876b34bf&pd_rd_wg=M929P&pd_rd_i=B07LD5DPNR&psc=1

I've never used track ir and so it may be superior in some way that I am unaware of but I just know I have watched fritz's live streams and I only have to move my head the same amount that he does to get the same result. I say this because ive seen youtube videos where people show it off on warthunder and they have to move their head a huge amount lol, maybe theirs doesnt have sensitivity settings.

If anyone else does this and has any tips or any suggestions on remotes then throw it up.

Somebody mentioned on discord recently there is another alternative to TrackIR.

I previously had TrackIR and found it useless. I simply use keys only.

Good idea but not for me i don't think.

@Suddenunsure how audio levels are so may want to mute incase of ear rape from my internet radio in vid. Anytime you see my head snap center that is when I press my center button (aka Crew Position 1 key) trackir also requires a button to center.

p.s. if vid below doesnt embed due to copyright then here is link to see it incase you dont have yt acct

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=5uKDhRpI4Zs

I cant edit my post but here is another example using it to track infantry on the ground. Just 2 random vids I have uploaded that shows it in use.

You just buy any gyroscopic mouse and then attach it to your headphones in whatever way you want to. I did mine ghetto to test it and it worked perfectly, it doesnt even have to be centered in the middle of the headset.

There are gyro mouses that are smaller in size as well that would work just as good. I bought mine because it has a rechargeable battery but maybe the AAA battery ones have very long battery life similar to modern usb wireless mice.

I just used long velcro zip ties since that method would work for headset I have + the larger size of the gyro mouse I bought. If you are still interested but unsure of ideas on how to attach it to your particular headset then send me a pic of what the headset looks like and I will give ideas.

Once it is strapped on, you just adjust the in game mouse sensitivity so that it takes a few degrees of head movement to make the camera in game do full movement (i.e. I only move my head a couple degrees to the left to make the camera in game check my 6, same for looking up too). The less head movement the better. You want to minimize the amount you have to move your head for ergonomics.

----

If you still want to try it and have questions then ask, feel free to link any gyro mice you find in case you're unsure about it.

forgot to link pic... for some reason now that my account is f2p I cannot edit posts, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2ktruuM.png

• Thanks 1