Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Which tanks/planes are better when multicrewed?

mode

[At Work, At Lunch, trying to scratch my WW2OL itch, so forgive the questions]

I know the flippant answer is probably either "all of them, more eyes is better' or "none of them, I'm better off alone", but I was wondering if there are actually any (specific) tanks or planes that are better off with a second player helping multicrew it?

As I understand it, when you make a mission, select a vehicle and then 'request multicrew' you end up as the 1st position (usually pilot/driver) and whoever joins you ends up in position 2 (bombardier/gunner). So, its 180 degrees different for tanks versus planes - If I was forming a multicrew tank, I'd want to be the commander/gunner and hire a good driver. But in a plane I'd want to be the pilot, and hire a gunner/bombsight guy.

Am i understanding that correctly? A lot of the info I can dig up online is really old, so not sure how accurate. I like the idea of multicrewing, and being useful to someone who is more experienced with the tank/plane, so if there are some clearly 'better with multicrew' choices, I'll start practicing with them.

Edited by mode

• Registered Users

Just my opinion. As the game currently works, The planes that benifit most from multicrew are the bombers where the pilot has the bombs and the crew is rear gunner only.

In planes that have a bombardier position it can hinder more than help, but there are ways around that too. 

If pilot and crew are using voice coms, a pilot experienced in glide bombing with the medium bombers can line up the drop and tell the crew "drop now" and be quite accurate.

Level bombing, if the crew is well experienced in setting/using the bomb sight, then being mutlicrewed can work well.

Pretty much the same with tanks. 2 people on coms that have developed a good regime of multicrewing can do very well.

Bottom line, in my experience, is that being on voice coms is the best way to multicrew.

• Like 2

I don't fly ... so whenever i get the chance to a multi-crew bomber I take it. Lots of fun. I have only done it with someone I am on voice comms with ... so being the bombardier and coordinating the drop is pretty seamless. Can't imagine doing it without voice comms though. Tail-gunning pretty much independent but voice comms definately help both pilot and gunner as well.

As far as tanks go .... the most fun is gonna be a tank with a hull gunner so you have the option to help surpress with some frontal fire. On the other hand, it may be more valuable for the driver to just focus on observation with the commander to direct fire and watch for sappers. In the lower tiers, I like multi-crewing the Stuart because it is fast and manuevering is a major advantage.

Edited by choad
  • Like 2

Any tank with a Hull Gunner can benefit from multi-crew. Others, not so much...

As noted above, tail gunner is usually a plus.

• Like 1

• Registered Users

Multi-crewing IS the 'bee-knees' . . . great comraderie not matter the result of the mission. :)

It'll be nice someday when better multiplayer ("polycrew" or something similar) code can be developed.

• mode changed the title to Which tanks/planes are better when multicrewed?

only time I ever tanked and thought "multicrew would be good" is when defending large pavement filled city with alleys and such. 3f would be ideal, gun facing the rear, hull gunner front. Cruising alleys wasting EI. Gunner needs to be good at using commander with freelook via portholes and calling things out over comms. I do this solo but will miss EI on occasion due to having to constantly swap positions+commander.

Aside from that situation, I think 2 tanks are always superior assuming both tankers are skilled at using the tank + commander.

@choadthe driver controls the commander? I didnt know, pros and cons to that if thats the case.

Edited by lovewing

The game should be designed so that two players in one tank are significantly more lethal than two players, each in their own tank.

That's what would encourage multicrewing.

• Like 1

I love taking up newbies in a Stuka and doing insane intense stuff and get in all kindsa near certain death situations and make it home alive. blows their minds and gets em bitten by the airgame bug.