Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

A New Dawn for Paratroopers

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

Matt "Xoom" Callahan

Paratroopers are getting a massive boost in WWII Online! Introducing three new classes, all-new ammo canisters with exceptional range and a very noticeable 30% increase in parachute turn speeds so you can land where you want. Please enjoy this incoming un-announced feature set which will help bolster airborne operations and paratrooper capabilities across the entire theater of WWII Online! Pictures and announcement video within.

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=g3dnC27An-Y:vyreesoUmRw:gIN9vFwOq eKII?i=g3dnC27An-Y:vyreesoUmRw:V_sGLiPBp eKII?i=g3dnC27An-Y:vyreesoUmRw:F7zBnMyn0

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The US CEs (reg infantry) should have resupply like this as well, since standard US rifles don't have HE

I'm not sure i understand the range on the ammo can.....only more than 6,000M from target or no more than 6,000M from target?  Because if I drop a load of paras 6km from objective, my uber rating will be 1 star.

4 hours ago, Cornered Rats said:

with exceptional range and a very noticeable 30% increase in parachute turn speeds so you can land where you want.

Why are we still moving away from and ignoring history? This is how German Fallschirmjagers parachuted in WWII.

Fallschirmjäger, Green Devils,.. Doesn't Matter! They Were a WWII German  Elite Corps - Awesome Colour Images!ORIGINAL GERMAN WW2 LUFTWAFFE FALLSCHIRMJAGER PARATROOPER PARACHUTE  EXTRACTOR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob said:

Why are we still moving away from and ignoring history? This is how German Fallschirmjagers parachuted in WWII.

Fallschirmjäger, Green Devils,.. Doesn't Matter! They Were a WWII German  Elite Corps - Awesome Colour Images!ORIGINAL GERMAN WW2 LUFTWAFFE FALLSCHIRMJAGER PARATROOPER PARACHUTE  EXTRACTOR

I agree. The German paratrooper was trained to kick his legs in such a way to facilitate a proper parachute landing fall, but other than that he was at the mercy of his antiquated parachute system. Still, I know it's a feature a lot of para's like in-game.   

The German early war para equipment was copied from that of the Italians, the innovators in parachute technology. It had no directional or orientation control at all.

The French had done experiments with HALO jumping...they were far ahead of everyone else in that regard...but they did not have an operational military paratroop capability beyond a tiny experimental unit in 1940.

The British did not have an operational military paratroop capability in 1940.

Steerable chutes for anyone in 1940 are fantasy-land. For US and British units as of mid-war, and maybe the French, it's plausible. For the US and Britain by late war, definitely.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:11 AM, Witzig said:

I agree. The German paratrooper was trained to kick his legs in such a way to facilitate a proper parachute landing fall, but other than that he was at the mercy of his antiquated parachute system. Still, I know it's a feature a lot of para's like in-game.   

I could get behind this approach if you have the pilot a "drop" button that automatically pushes paras out, rather than the random insanity we have now. In practice few troopers leave the aircraft at the right time.

This way the paras can not only be in town town, they can be on a roof no one can get on top of to facilitate better camping.

We always ask the wrong questions. "Why do X, Y or Z, when real units did A, B, and C?" or "This makes defense less reasonable, fun, and realistic, why do it?"

We need to ask: "Does it make CAMPING easier/better?"

Edited by tater

Hmm, tough call here.

Want to be historical, but want the game to be fun too.

Maybe no steering tier 0 and 1; but allow steering tier 2 on?

12 hours ago, delems said:

Hmm, tough call here.

The problem with that is it takes 2 completely different models with added coding.

15 hours ago, delems said:

Hmm, tough call here.

No steering for units that had no steering, accurate steering for units that had steering (meaning as meh as it probably was in RL for units that could steer at some level) would be better. Having all units steer would be like having all tank turrets move at the same rate, all planes have identical FMs, etc. The para and truck situation has always been bizarre to me. The planes should hold the right number of men, no more, ditto trucks.

Simple enough...Germans get no steering, but they and the Italians also have the only T0 paratroops. That's historical.

Germans and Italians descend very fast. Very little air time.

British and French get paratroops in T1. They have some steering, but not ultraprecise i.e. land on that dime over there.

British and French descend at medium speed.

T0 and T1 Germans and Italians drop with pistols and knives. They have to get to a canister to get their primary weapon and ammo.

T1 British and French drop with primary weapons...rifles, carbines or SMGs, no LMGs or auto rifles...but have to get to a canister to get their ammo can, basic ammo load beyond one clip or magazine in the primary gun, charges, grenades, etc. Subject to supply, men can swap a rifle for an LMG or auto rifle at the canister.

Starting with T2, Germans and Italians drop with primary weapon. Same mechanics as the British and French. Their descent now is at medium speed.

Starting with T3, German carried primary weapons can include the FG42. They still have to get to a canister for everything else.

US paratroops from their beginning have some steering, and jump with full kit. No canisters. Slow descent.

And the above-suggested idea that the pilot determines when everyone jumps...for instance, starting on the pilot's trigger, the troopers go out of a level plane on half second intervals in the order that they entered the plane...that's good, too.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 4:48 PM, jwilly said:

Simple enough...Germans get no steering, but they and the Italians also have the only T0 paratroops. That's historical.

Germans and Italians descend very fast. Very little air time.

British and French get paratroops in T1. They have some steering, but not ultraprecise i.e. land on that dime over there.

British and French descend at medium speed.

T0 and T1 Germans and Italians drop with pistols and knives. They have to get to a canister to get their primary weapon and ammo.

T1 British and French drop with primary weapons...rifles, carbines or SMGs, no LMGs or auto rifles...but have to get to a canister to get their ammo can, basic ammo load beyond one clip or magazine in the primary gun, charges, grenades, etc. Subject to supply, men can swap a rifle for an LMG or auto rifle at the canister.

Starting with T2, Germans and Italians drop with primary weapon. Same mechanics as the British and French. Their descent now is at medium speed.

Starting with T3, German carried primary weapons can include the FG42. They still have to get to a canister for everything else.

US paratroops from their beginning have some steering, and jump with full kit. No canisters. Slow descent.

And the above-suggested idea that the pilot determines when everyone jumps...for instance, starting on the pilot's trigger, the troopers go out of a level plane on half second intervals in the order that they entered the plane...that's good, too.

All this ^^^

If the pilots triggered the drop, would it be possible for the difference between what the plane could hold, and what it DOES hold to be dropped as "meat bombs?" Meaning avatars without players. They hit ground and are a PPO with a single para inf in them (rifle). DM is any damage takes them out, and they self-destruct in X minutes (can be side bias based, longer from UP side). So call for paras, and 6 guys hop aboard. Plane holds 15, so drop is 15, of which 6 are players, and 9 are single unit MSPs.