Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Barrage balloons FUBARed

sascha

They blink in and out and generally seem to be invisible until you're almost on top of them. Seems to be a new thing since the last patch, since I haven't seen this sort of behavior before.

S.

• Registered Users

Sascha, are these the ones at the factory towns, or the player placed ones?

• Registered Users

The PPO barrage balloon somehow got the LOD distance lowered. Ticketed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OLDZEKE said:

Thanks Zeke - that's some quick customer service around here... :)

7 hours ago, MWHITMAN said:

Sascha, are these the ones at the factory towns, or the player placed ones?

Yeah... sorry. Been a while since I've flown near a factory, so I had forgotten about them. I was talking about the griefing PPO kind of course. :P

S.

13 hours ago, OLDZEKE said:

How does this happen though?

I thought the balloon tweaks were to make it more resistant to damage? Is there some mismatch with the testing server and how things appear in the live server?

Because you would assume the first testing to be done on this balloon change is to try and hit it with a plane and try to strafe it with a plane, both of which would have found this bug before release?

56 minutes ago, saffroli said:

I thought the balloon tweaks were to make it more resistant to damage? Is there some mismatch with the testing server and how things appear in the live server?

Because you would assume the first testing to be done on this balloon change is to try and hit it with a plane and try to strafe it with a plane, both of which would have found this bug before release?

QA = you play

In all seriousness, it is well known the game breaks in some of the most mysterious ways.

• CORNERED RAT
1 hour ago, saffroli said:

jobs@wwiionline.com - beta testing team is looking for people to help.

Given some of the tooling, it's possible that the testers never flew out of LOD range when testing the change in damage.

• Registered Users
2 hours ago, saffroli said:

Best guess? The person working on it likely determined that being it's a very simple model it did not need extra LODs and missed upping the distance on LOD1 in the flt. Or could have been something totally different. We do miss things. Small team and limited time.

15 minutes ago, OLDZEKE said:

Best guess? The person working on it likely determined that being it's a very simple model it did not need extra LODs and missed upping the distance on LOD1 in the flt. Or could have been something totally different. We do miss things. Small team and limited time.

Well, yeah.. but at least you seem determined to fix this stuff... :)

S.

2 hours ago, B2K said:

jobs@wwiionline.com - beta testing team is looking for people to help.

I'm tempted and have been for some time

• Registered Users

Will give you a lot of insight into what actually happens behind  the scenes, so to speak. As well as helping us and the player base.