Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

81mm mortar

usaf77

I did a search and couldn't find anything. I figured out how to range the new mortar on the vehicle but how do you determine bearing? The zoom/dash board is confusing and doesnt show the correct compass bearings.

Thanks.

• Registered Users

@usaf77 Howdy, sir -  here is a good link for you to review.  I do need to update it with this latest patch.  This is some good reading and explains to NOT zoom in from the gunner's view.  The zoomed view is actually tied to the driver's view point so it does a "jedi mind trick" and disorients you if you are not aware of this issue.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/10LV0eHWEoVH0D7rQciDUj-WJdv8Oy6my/view?usp=sharing

You get the bearing by pressing the letter "G" which gives you range (which likely won't help if you are firing at range but a nice scouting feature though for others) and the BEARING.  You orient your COMPASS ROSE ON YOUR MINI-MAP (unzoomed) from the Gunner's Position to the approximate bearing provided by the Commander's range/bearing info.  Set a waypoint for range, make it active, use your plus/minus ten-keys to effect the mini-map so you are oriented to the target and FIRE-YAH!!  Get some feedback from your FO and light up the enemy.

!S,

tex

11 hours ago, usaf77 said:

I did a search and couldn't find anything. I figured out how to range the new mortar on the vehicle but how do you determine bearing? The zoom/dash board is confusing and doesnt show the correct compass bearings.

Thanks.

I used it the other day. Long range from FB to town ~2.2K out.

I oriented the truck to north on the mini map... bearing to target is based on map north, and parked roughly due north of the town.

Once I had it roughly pointed north, I put a mortar mark on the center of town to get range.

It worked.

The guys in town were able to feed me info on the landing location and I gently tweaked the mouse to move onto the cp we wanted.

Not perfect but you cannot use the G key if you can't see your target.

It would be nice (crs) if we got range and bearing when we hovered over the main map. Hint hint.

Another thing that would be helpful is a lock function that disables mouse moves affecting aim. It's too easy to bump the mouse and throw off your aim. Maybe shift+mouse to aim 

Edited by Sudden

• Registered Users
On 9/3/2022 at 8:24 AM, Sudden said:

I used it the other day. Long range from FB to town ~2.2K out.

I oriented the truck to north on the mini map... bearing to target is based on map north, and parked roughly due north of the town.

Once I had it roughly pointed north, I put a mortar mark on the center of town to get range.

It worked.

The guys in town were able to feed me info on the landing location and I gently tweaked the mouse to move onto the cp we wanted.

Not perfect but you cannot use the G key if you can't see your target.

It would be nice (crs) if we got range and bearing when we hovered over the main map. Hint hint.

Another thing that would be helpful is a lock function that disables mouse moves affecting aim. It's too easy to bump the mouse and throw off your aim. Maybe shift+mouse to aim 

@Sudden

You are using some of the techniques that I need to include in the Advanced Guide . . . LOL!  Glad the teamwork brought the weapon system more effectiveness, as it should. :)

Re G key - the range is rarely almost a throw-away of data unless you are scouting, etc.  The big pay-off is the bearing info because when you jump to the gunner position an use your HUD mini-map . . . you use the 360^ of that minimap and orient to the bearing BUT NOT WHEN GUNNER IS ZOOMED IN.  Need to be unzoomed for that aspect to work correctly.  The zoomed in HUD map links to the DRIVER (or maybe its the COMMANDER) VIEWPOINT so that's why it skews when you zoom.

Not sure we can get the range and bearing info on the main map, I would have to ask as I know zero about the 1's and 0's but that is a good idea. :)

Use your keymap and set it up for the directional arrows as my guide suggests so moving the mouse has ZERO impact to your aim.  The good news if you have the bearing info in your chat bar OR placed on the TGT info "1500B280" which is how it would display means Range 1500m and Bearing of 280^.

Good discussion,

tex

81mm and "3 inch" mortars should be able to fire starshells.

Yeah, I know, no light sources yet. But soon, right?

Anyway, there'd be tons of utility for ground fighting, but there's also a naval justification:

The historically sensible set of coastal-and-Channel motor gunboats wouldn't be British Fairmiles, German captured Fairmiles, and French borrowed Fairmiles. It would be British Fairmiles, German R boats, and French Normandie class patrol boats.

Real night is dark. Real coastal patrolling had to be done at night, because that's when your side operated its coastal convoys, so that's when the enemy tried to bring their minelayers and motor torpedo boats into your waters, and it was your job to interdict them.

Motor gunboats historically needed capabilities to fire starshells when they spotted enemy activity, so they could see to aim.

Sometimes the Germany navy put 81mm mortars on R boats, otherwise armed with 2cm and 3.7cm autocannons and, later in the war, Fohn AA rockets. None of those other weapons could fire starshells, but 81mm mortars could.

I haven't seen historical references to the British doing the same (with "3 inch" mortars) with their two-pom-poms-and-MGs-armed Fairmile B gunboats, but it would have made sense for the same reasons.

The Normandies of course had the pintle-mount Mle 1897 75mm cannon, so were well set for starshells.

Edited by jwilly

• 5 months later...

as with most files on the game the drive file is inactive Put it in the wiki, trying to find anything about this game requires hiring a Private Eye.

• Registered Users

If you have tool tips enabled it will show range to a waypoint or contact mark when you mouse over. Will not take into account elevation differences.

With the map mark activated (right click the mark and select active) then the target arrow on the map and mini map track that mark, the mortar position will give bearing to the mark.

• Registered Users
1 hour ago, skunkmilk said:

as with most files on the game the drive file is inactive Put it in the wiki, trying to find anything about this game requires hiring a Private Eye.

yes thats me. I am getting to grips with the wiki (started today) and will be updating it adding content like this and making it easier to find.