Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

IVC testing

choad

Can't post on the general thread so will post here.

Downloaded the test client and though it worked pretty well. Voice quality was very good and impressive. My only hiccups were probably a misunderstanding on my part about how IVC in this game was coded to work.

My issue seemed to be that mission/squad chat worked great, but I never felt like proximity chat worked at all. I thought that the v key was to speak to your "tuned" mission or squad channel. This should broadcast regardless of proximity - which it seemed to do. But speaking to a guy next to you who is not on you mission, that is where my confusion set it. Maybe I was just unlucky, and the guy I was speaking to didn't have it configured properly or something. But I thought if the key for proximity chat was "left shift/v" by default. 

So my question is ....

how do you broadcast to people not on your mission that are in close proximity? Is it left-alt/v? 

If you broadcast on mission chat, can people close to you who are not on your mission still hear it? 

I had the same experience. Channels works fine but local chat did not work. Finally I could hear audio when the distance was very short (< 5 meters). I was never able to talk in local chat.

47 minutes ago, aef said:

Will discord still be needed?

Not when we have a squad voice chat and a side voice chat. Oh and mission VC too. Then there's local VC. Discord at this point can be dismissed. Plus, you can switch off certain voicechats in the IVC settings.

Edited by soldierkj

2 hours ago, enpassant said:

I had the same experience. Channels works fine but local chat did not work. Finally I could hear audio when the distance was very short (< 5 meters). I was never able to talk in local chat.

Yup pretty much the same for me. Often times I would see someone's name light up on local VC but couldn't hear them at all - even faintly. I just could never figure it out. I kind of assumed I was doing something wrong trying to broadcast locally but I dunno.

I think it's important to get to the bottom of because I often times create my own mission and hop around the map, so as it stands IVC would have minimal benefit for me.

Edited by choad

• CORNERED RAT

When you are successfully speaking in local area chat you will see your name appear in the list with a profile-face icon (person speaking) instead of a radio broadcast symbol.  If you saw this as you spoke, then you are successfully transmitting on the 3D channel.  Assuming you do see this I would test separately with a buddy first - it is very likely in the early stages that the person that heard you was re-transmitting on their mission channel (or whatever was selected on the radio) instead of the local area chat - in which case you would not hear it.  Its also possible they have the channel turned off in settings.  Its also possible they are just too busy to respond.  Anyway, because its one big test for all of us its best to test it away from all other distractions to gain comfort that it is (or isn't) working for you.  Once we determine for sure that it is not - then we can work through your issues individually.

If you are able to hear at extremely short distances then it IS working for you - the problem is one of attenuation.  3D volume even at its loudest/closest is intentionally quieter than the radio (to help disambiguate) and it does get aggressively quieter with distance with about 20m being the practical limit when lots of other sounds are going on.  The other factor that comes into play is the other persons mic sensitivity/quality.  This will vary greatly depending on the amount of effort that player put into configuring the mic, how good it is, and how close it is to their mouth.

33 minutes ago, foe2 said:

of course how else will I be able to annoy Bus.

Smoke his tank or sap the buildings he walks into when he occasionally plays infantry :)

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, choad said:

Can't post on the general thread so will post here.

Downloaded the test client and though it worked pretty well. Voice quality was very good and impressive. My only hiccups were probably a misunderstanding on my part about how IVC in cuphead this game  was coded to work.

My issue seemed to be that mission/squad chat worked great, but I never felt like proximity chat worked at all. I thought that the v key was to speak to your "tuned" mission or squad channel. This should broadcast regardless of proximity - which it seemed to do. But speaking to a guy next to you who is not on you mission, that is where my confusion set it. Maybe I was just unlucky, and the guy I was speaking to didn't have it configured properly or something. But I thought if the key for proximity chat was "left shift/v" by default.  

So my question is ....

how do you broadcast to people not on your mission that are in close proximity? Is it left-alt/v? 

If you broadcast on mission chat, can people close to you who are not on your mission still hear it? 

I had some problems with the download that made my experience unsatisfactory.