Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Live Rat training during intermissions

aceman8

I would love the Rats to host some live training during intermission on the use of mobile arty and arty batteries once during each TZ.  The manuals and vids help, but some remedial training in these (and maybe other) weapons might go a long way to having more peeps using them in-game.

• Registered Users

@aceman8  This is an interesting idea.  I have some friends who might be able to help, too.  With my work schedule if the intermission is during my shift block, some of the TZs will be difficult for me to hit but if it is a weekend where I am off then we could potentially accommodate that request.

Is there something in particular you have noticed that people are struggling with?  If we know where peeps are having issues then we can formulate some kind of plan of what needs to be discussed/instructed upon.

FYI - @Eddie05

For me, using arty and the mobile platforms, like mortar, would be helpful.  I don't see arty being used too effectively (there are exceptions), probably due to the lack of feedback or lack of knowledge on setting up and zeroing in on targets properly.  I know a lot of effort went into finally getting STO arty in-game, and we need a concentrated effort to really incorporate it into the gameplay for the typical players.

• Registered Users

@aceman8

@delems

Most of the "work" has been done and simply about getting more knowledgeable with the 81mm & 105mm platforms AND communication/teamwork with a Forward Observer then taking that data from the FO and understanding how to adjust the gun based upon the information provided by the FO.  Of particular importance is determining the target area elevation (Arty guide, page 12 . . . when firing UPHILL) which can be done with THREE shells if working with an FO which has a good view of an open space near the primary target area.  Once the target elevation has been determined which may mean that you have to ADD or SUBTRACT range that will be CONTRARY to the Gun HUD data the game will provide (EX: You have determined that there is a PLUS 50M elevation difference to the target area so that means that a range calculation on the Gun HUD to Target X of 9350M is inaccurate (SHORT) but due to VERTICAL INTERVAL of 50M, you split the difference on the adjustment (50 / 2 = 25) and ADD 25M so your ADJUSTED target range is really 9375M).

Now that you have the trickiest part of the elevation to target factored into your range, the rest is easy.  Have the FO select any target which he can easily see rounds that could fall short or long (the target could be an open field or a cross-roads), as the shells hit the area the FO then gives any vertical (range) adjustment if needed (if within 100M of the target area that is GOOD ENOUGH due to dispersion).  From there you will very likely have to adjust your fire laterally so if the FO says to adjust fire LEFT or RIGHT (he should mark himself on the mark so the Battery Commander can set a waypoint on his position) which will GREATLY aid the gunners when making adjustments in the beginning.

ALL of the lateral adjustments throughout the entire firing capabilities of the 81mm and 105mm have ALREADY been calculated (EX:  Lateral Adjustments, page 18 of the Arty Guide).  Pages 23 thru 25 of the Arty Guide lists ALL the MILS data to adjust laterally in increments from 5M to 500M.  Generally, the formula is a little "short" on the lateral adjustments but the formula is spot-on and probably inaccurate slightly due to a gaming world NOT being 100% accurate N to S and E to W (11 seconds/m vs 17 seconds/m of LAT/LON iirc).

The Gun HUD, page 5 of the Artillery Guide, will ALWAYS show the gun target elevation based upon the waypoint, contact mark, etc as it shows the range to target and the needed gun elevation to reach the target (NOT factoring in VERTICAL INTERVAL or terrain elevation differences as discussed above).  The Gun Elevation data, in it's generic state once undeployed, needs to be elevated or depressed on the VERTICAL plane (up or down) to match the data from the calculated target HUD display.  Clear as mud? 

It is not as difficult as it sounds and that's why, as with any kit, it is important to familiarize yourself with the tube or gun, so you understand how it works, customize your keymaps if needed so you can be efficient when firing, and once you get some reps and pick-up some tips (which ARE mentioned in the guide) you will feel more comfortable.  This is an area weapon firing an unprecedented ranges and realistically took a great deal of math and science to make the platform successful on the battlefield.  CRS has struck a great balance by introducing this fantastic piece that has some complexity yet not so simple as HLL where you rack up dozens of kills by clicking the fire button on a fixed target.  We do not think that is realistic gameplay nor allowing for an enjoyable game environment.  Artillery is not necessarily about killing your opponent as it is difficult to do but the significant impact of TACTICAL SMOKE to allow units to assault or withdraw are HUGE whether rushing a spawnable or an army base.  The more you practice, the better and more impactful you will be.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q9NLXAed1X7J1D_wWSvo92e7pUg4RSIk/edit

See you on the gun line,

tex