Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Smoke effects when firing tank rounds

dustyhc

I find the new smoke effect when firing tank rounds to be annoying. 
Was this added to address some deficiency in the game?
It would be nice if we could choose to disable it. 

Same thing with ATGs. I get the idea, but the smoke makes it very tough to see where you're hitting. Feels like you're firing blindly..

Edited by gretnine

new function of tanks:
throw a projectile and throw a smoke grenade at the same time ... hahahahahahahah!

switch to less smoke or take it off.
Can't see where you're shooting...

S!

Yes it’s making things more complex than actually needed. Give us the option to either delete it or shut it off so the smoke doesn’t blind us once we fire cannons. I for one would just as soon shut the smoke off once my cannons have been fired. Thanks 

Small atgs should probably producing smaller puffs comparable to bigger guns yes?….using us forces 37m is a guess at this point as the sights seem screwy and it jumps when firing so its hard to track your shot and thats without the smoke 

All those videos are firing modern reloaded ammo. There's no way of knowing with certainty what the smoke generation of WWII mil-spec loads was. Modern propellants offer lots of variety..."smokeless", "flashless", hotter, colder, low residue, low cost. So did WWII propellants, and no one makes exactly the same formulations anymore. 

Jwilly, I know for a "fact" that mil-spec loads are/were the cheapest.  :)

therefor its a good assumption to say cheap loads means no features... such as no smokeless, no flashless and no low residue.

Also if you look at the vids, you will notice every gun moved a bit after firing and the smoke is also the dust generated from around the muzzle blast.

After watching a few vids, I am of the belief that we wwiioline gamers have had it too easy to sight/shoot/resight targets in tanks or anti tank guns.

Notice most gunners move there face away from the gunsight before firing, even from the small pak36.

This is beginning to feel like a feature that crept in unsolicited, and is quickly becoming universally unpopular.

Maybe it should be relegated to an option reserved for the 'purists' among the community.

But as for me, I'll just take the adulterated, less  realistic, cartoonish, <insert adjective here> animation  that seemed just fine  until the last update.

I dunno, I'm good either way.   Seems like firing WW2 ammo was a smoky thing. 

Also, this isn't just for tank guns.  88 has the same big smoke cloud when firing. 

These two images, I think, are historical. I don't know how long after the gun-discharge the second image was taken. Obviously not long, but tens of milliseconds matter. I infer from the seemingly at-rest nature of the smoke near the side ports of the muzzle brake that it was several hundred milliseconds after discharge.

One of the reasons why commanders fight "up" is that gunners historically have found it difficult to spot their fall of shot.

tank_fire-1.jpg

tank_fire-2.jpg

Edited by jwilly

2 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

I dunno, I'm good either way.   Seems like firing WW2 ammo was a smoky thing. 

Also, this isn't just for tank guns.  88 has the same big smoke cloud when firing. 

Commander on 88 have that issue?

20 minutes ago, aef said:

Commander on 88 have that issue?

Not so much, but the tradeoff is having that commander stand 5 feet off to the side at attention while everything shoots at him lol. 

I don't like it but you can still see your rounds hitting at a distance for a split second. I haven't tried using the commander to take a quick peek though. 

flintlocks-r-us

Edited by Sudden

• CORNERED RAT

I spoke with CORN and he will be looking very soon at backing down the smoke effect.

S!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 2:52 PM, jwilly said:

These two images, I think, are historical. I don't know how long after the gun-discharge the second image was taken. Obviously not long, but tens of milliseconds matter. I infer from the seemingly at-rest nature of the smoke near the side ports of the muzzle brake that it was several hundred milliseconds after discharge.

One of the reasons why commanders fight "up" is that gunners historically have found it difficult to spot their fall of shot.

tank_fire-1.jpg

tank_fire-2.jpg

Good point , but then they didn't have to hit a certain spot , or were mostly ensured they make the hit there was a high probability that the enemy bailed out of the tank especially if there was any kind of penetration , and not like we have in game the enemy turns towards you and returns fire to have a shoot out .

How is that for realism ? Seems silly doesn't it nailing a enemy tank with a 88 or 17 pounder and then having a shoot out at the OK coral  be it smoke or no smoke .

And with having to hit certain spots to be effective in game , I think the smoke might need to be toned down just a bit , long range not so much of an issue but close encounters it's nearly impossible to know if it was a hit or if you went over it ..

• Like 1

Corn's idea was good, the implementation just needs to be tweaked. The updated VFX does affect gameplay as noted here. It seems he used an existing explosion "cloud" VFX for it, when something else, likely a brand new animation would be better suited. It seems that could be possible given the new VFX of other explosions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If all equipment in game was modeled as seen in videos on YouTube or elsewhere, then 90% (at least) are modeled wrong. So why the interest on the Rats' part to make realistic smoke (and it isn't even realistic based on videos posted)?

For example, watch a video of someone firing the STG44 (laughably badly modeled in game), there's clearly significant but manageable recoil in real life...ZERO recoil in game. Then watch a video of someone firing the MAS38...almost zero recoil in real life, lots of recoil in game.

And the list goes on.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 5:31 PM, Mosizlak said:

Not so much, but the tradeoff is having that commander stand 5 feet off to the side at attention while everything shoots at him lol. 

for thte pak 36 he may  live longer ( as al you need to do is plink the frnt shild to spall kil both  guner and camoder)