Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

3pounder on FMB needs a serious look

Dre21

How can it have a shootout with a 88 is the better question , flamed the FMB with the 3rd shot , 1st 2 were AP rounds switched to HE and flamed it so I had the range dialed in , he fires with 3 pounder I drop remaining HE load on his 3pound gunner and he will not die , range was 1700 meters , the gunner should be dead, the gun should be a pile of metal , the front of the boat should be none existing,  but nope he fires happily back .

The three pounders found in an old semi-forgotten naval warehouse and de-rusted so they could be mounted on some coastal-antisubmarine-patrol Fairmile Bs were WWI guns, firing WWI-leftover Common (heavy case HE) shells. Those guns had very primitive gunsights, and no roll-and-pitch switches for firing at neutral roll. There's no way they would have been effective at 1700 meters.

Those of us who were here when the Fairmile was added to the game may recall that Killer directed development of a riverboat game-object that would have an ability to fight tanks. Everything about that was absurdly unrealistic...Fairmiles were never operated by anyone but the British; Fairmiles could not be operated on the Meuse upstream of the first locks that were too narrow for a boat of that width and the first bridge that had too little clearance for a boat with that much vertical clearance requirement; the WWI three pounders used on Fairmiles in WWII never had AP ammo, and their Common ammo was incapable of penetrating anything beyond possibly light tank armor; and Fairmile Bs were made of wood with a very large sheet metal tank amidships well above the waterline holding what amounted to aviation gasoline, in the same compartment as the main engines with their sometimes-red-hot exhaust manifolds, so a Fairmile's damage tolerance was just about zero.

6 hours ago, jwilly said:

The three pounders found in an old semi-forgotten naval warehouse and de-rusted so they could be mounted on some coastal-antisubmarine-patrol Fairmile Bs were WWI guns, firing WWI-leftover Common (heavy case HE) shells. Those guns had very primitive gunsights, and no roll-and-pitch switches for firing at neutral roll. There's no way they would have been effective at 1700 meters.

Those of us who were here when the Fairmile was added to the game may recall that Killer directed development of a riverboat game-object that would have an ability to fight tanks. Everything about that was absurdly unrealistic...Fairmiles were never operated by anyone but the British; Fairmiles could not be operated on the Meuse upstream of the first locks that were too narrow for a boat of that width and the first bridge that had too little clearance for a boat with that much vertical clearance requirement; the WWI three pounders used on Fairmiles in WWII never had AP ammo, and their Common ammo was incapable of penetrating anything beyond possibly light tank armor; and Fairmile Bs were made of wood with a very large sheet metal tank amidships well above the waterline holding what amounted to aviation gasoline, in the same compartment as the main engines with their sometimes-red-hot exhaust manifolds, so a Fairmile's damage tolerance was just about zero.

Great story , still used my whole HE loadout to silence one , it was absurd to keep it mild in terms what I really would like to say .

I get the dmg limitations they can do but for God sake a HE 88 shell against the shield or anywhere close to said gun should have taken it out of play period . 

It should be none functioning no matter how many crew members CRS thinks they need to simulate ..

Cause the AP round he shot killed my gunner which also sits behind a shield. 

And insult to injury , I was shooting down onto him from the NW side hill of vireux.

Edited by Dre21

8 hours ago, Dre21 said:

How can it have a shootout with a 88 is the better question , flamed the FMB with the 3rd shot , 1st 2 were AP rounds switched to HE and flamed it so I had the range dialed in , he fires with 3 pounder I drop remaining HE load on his 3pound gunner and he will not die , range was 1700 meters , the gunner should be dead, the gun should be a pile of metal , the front of the boat should be none existing,  but nope he fires happily back .

The fmb 3lber has better armor then the char nowadays 

Cracking Up Lol GIF

8 hours ago, Dre21 said:

.... but nope he fires happily back .

only axis gunners are happy when they fire.

;)

boats have always been a bit of an enigma. No reason to leave a boat on fire, keep shooting til you sink.

1 hour ago, Kidd27 said:

boats have always been a bit of an enigma. No reason to leave a boat on fire, keep shooting til you sink.

Well nowadays we got the same with tanks , they cruise around and keep firing while burning and throwing up black smoke .

The biggest point I come back to is the claim of realistic dmg , as xoom just mentioned in his new promo video for the unreal engine I saw on FB / YouTube. 

All the new things that CRS put into game are great but yet to this day we still don't have a visual dmg model for ATG and AAA and any variation that we have in game .

Just yesterday a new player was totally perplexed that he shot at a ATG and he could not tell if he did kill it or not and made a comment about it . 

Hell blood spatter at this point would be at least something to show unit got hit and killed. Something after 20 years is really not much to ask .

• Like 1

^^ add Tank commanders top that list. Even if the commander dropped back into the tank after being hit. With the exception the hatch stays open to notify other players the commander is knocked out.  Might look a bit better then a slumped over commander.   Or a blood splt lol

• Like 1

Ive been saying for years that the fmb 3lbr position has an obvious hitbox issue. I'll take a video demonstrating it during intermission if I remember.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dfire said:

Ive been saying for years that the fmb 3lbr position has an obvious hitbox issue. I'll take a video demonstrating it during intermission if I remember.

I'll try to set up at the hill again and spawn then a FMB and try to duplicate it .

On 3/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, Kidd27 said:

If you think that's silly, wait til I tell you about tanks...

LOL

• Like 1