Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Open Up the Forums to ALL Players

doudmg

I cannot post in the forum: WWII Online Player Discussions.  I am a WWII Online player!  I am using this account to write because I cannot connect/use my subscribed Steam account for forum purposes.  Before someone responds to this with, "Just get Discord", just like how I've been hassled about in game repeatedly, let me say that I simply have no interest in using that social media.  It's too fast of a medium, whose messages get drowned out without much consideration, so I've picked this slower, deliberate, and frankly more impactful option--the forum.  Simply put, this is frustrating and turns me off from the game because I cannot interact with its community here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, doudmg said:

I cannot post in the forum: WWII Online Player Discussions.  I am a WWII Online player!  I am using this account to write because I cannot connect/use my subscribed Steam account for forum purposes.  Before someone responds to this with, "Just get Discord", just like how I've been hassled about in game repeatedly, let me say that I simply have no interest in using that social media.  It's too fast of a medium, whose messages get drowned out without much consideration, so I've picked this slower, deliberate, and frankly more impactful option--the forum.  Simply put, this is frustrating and turns me off from the game because I cannot interact with its community here.

Understand your concern regarding discord - but its standardised now in most games to have it; or servers promoting it.

Forums are seen as outdated by the newer generation but i do see your point.

CRS do on the other hand need to save something for subscribers; or it becomes a kind of "whats the point" scenario in relation to subbing.

You'll always be welcome on discord to join us buddy :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Once again.  Open up the forums to ALL players.  The Forum is exceptional as a community support tool.  The Forum is also a persistent historical reference for the game.  The Forum is a slowed down place to have pertinent discussions that you can trust CRS to maintain.  Discord never existed in 2007.  These forums existed in 2007, though.  
Every good game has a forum.  Great games don’t stifle community interaction by restricting their forums’ access.  

There are hundreds of players on Discord who have only ever dabbled in WWII Online.  Yet, they have full access to game discussion there.  Why should it be any different for forum access?  ANY player should have forum access, whether that’s subscribed through Steam (CRS has faltered on that front, because you cannot log in from your associated Steam WWIIOL name), through CRS/Playnet themselves, or just looking to get their feet wet.  For all players!

• Like 1

Looking at player numbers, closing the forum, gained them absolutely nothing, you might even say it was one of the worst decisions by CRS 2.0. I think they don't want o be boithered by players begging for more free to play or lower subscriptions, which was a thing. While they're valid points, i do agree with CRS that WW2OL is unique in many ways, and the sub worked for this game. Now you could get the best of both worlds with Steam and just add a bunch of DLCs, that don't devalue the sub. I would buy a Commando DLC in a heartbeat and still sub, when i decide to play.  It's like the sports rights markets. There are main players like sky, which many have as their base, but there are tons of other things you can or have to spend money on. But i get their point, but closing the forums, locking out all the veterans and steam players, shouldn't be the way, i posted this on steam three weeks ago as well.

forums used to be a place where you could post guides and other useful stuff. Now discord is used and guides disappear into the sands of time on that app. The forum is just for circle jerking over the ukraine war on the off topic board now.

Yes please! Open forums to everyone. IN fact that might get players to resub if anything. Because we all know the main motivator for vets to resub in this game is nostalgia for the good old days. And a taste of that nostalgia is and always will be in the forums. If they feel they are still in touch, odds are they will resub. 

Conversely, I am 100% that there are very very very few players that would sub just for the forums. 

So, keeping forums reserved to only payed subscribers, imo, makes little practical sense. 

And I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. The moment CRS opens all forums to everyone I will resub.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't listen to any of this sound advice. Everyone should and must use discord because it organizes everything in one nice easy to use program. Many veterans love adopting new technology. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users
5 hours ago, aef said:

Make OT free!

The paid subscribers in OT can hardly manage themselves and that forum is already under "double-secret" probation with the next step being "lights out".  Sorry, it's true and entirely self-inflicted.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TEX64 said:

The paid subscribers in OT can hardly manage themselves and that forum is already under "double-secret" probation with the next step being "lights out".  Sorry, it's true and entirely self-inflicted.

If Silky was a better mod......

29 minutes ago, TEX64 said:

One would think the operative word here is "paid".  Really, OT is a perfect mirror of the divisive vitriol current both in America between so-called left and right and the Axis and Allies on these other forums.

Besides, we mostly just talk about trains.

Sex-train GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

When I was lead mod, I proposed to Rafter that OT was counter productive for their business model. He disagreed.

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

When I was lead mod, I proposed to Rafter that OT was counter productive for their business model. He disagreed.

I don't wish to be indelicate, but really how could OT be counter to a business model?  Every OTian is a paying customer and all we complain about are politics and each other, not the game as on ALL the other forums. Why shouldn't CRS just collect the money each month (or year) and simply ignore OT?

Ignore GIFs | Tenor

7 hours ago, jwilly said:

Doing that would be like removing the trash can from your kitchen and just flinging the garbage all over the floor. OT is a container. Remove the container and the garbage will soon fill the rest of the forum.

• Thanks 1