Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Focus Test: Training

GOPHUR

New player training is available in version 1.29.

Players can start training by going to the persona screen. You should only see a single persona gfor each country and this persona should be able to access basic training and there will be a display showing how many of the basic training programs you have completed.

- Players can reset their training status by typing /graduate true or /graduate false

- Each tutorial has a prerequisite

- Players can toggle completion (in test) by using the reset button on the training tab

- players who complete the training will be labelled as graduate

- players can reset the graduate status by typing '/graduate false'

- training is only available online

Known Issues:

- waypoint recticle appears as a square

- there is no time passing while in a training instance

- map training is not complete

- the post graduate training "tab" is disabled until multiplayer instances are available

- tutorials are chained, but requirements are turned off

- temporary toggle status button on training screen can be used for testing different tutorial setups

- once all tutorials are completed, you graduate and can access the main game (active duty)

- you can use "/graduate [true|false]" to change whether you are graduated or not

- map tutorial still can't be completed "normally" (use the toggle status button to test graduation for now)

- hud waypoint arrows only work the first time per session

- some hilite boxes are off in widescreen resolutions

I as well as many players are having difficulties completing the training as we are being killed by other players. I have tried to type the command /graduate [true} but /graduate in an unrecognized command. Is there a way to work around this or make training a no kill zone? I have also tried to complete this offline, but there is no way to do this.

Same here. Jerks shoot you while you're trying to complete the training. If you complete some training, (Rifle for example) it does not register you as completed.

I am trying to get out of the training, I have changed my rank and tried the /graduate command and it doesn't work. I also completed rifle training and the status never changed to "complete". I even tried the toggle status button and it didn't work. I really wanted to get on and fly, there needs to be a "skip training" option in the game.

Funny thing is that i though the players where AI controlled since i couldnt see the names unless i was close

I was like wow, nice touch with the infantry AI

Making the /graduate command work, or at least making the status button effective would be a bonus.

I would test the training, but the muppets that kill you whilst you are trying makes it a real problem.

I can see people on my mini map, but I can't see them in the game world or on the main map. I can see those ppl fire grenades: grenades just appear outta no where and detonate, smoke and frag.

Hi,

When you select a type of training, and press start training, the window pops up to let you know what kind of training you are starting. There is only a continue button to press. There needs to be a cancel button also in case you change your mind after starting a certain type of training.

JG2 Draggin

Thee is a typo in the movement training text 'how to chance stances'

Also some of the training texts that appear after actions are completed does not stay on screen long enough to read before it rolls to the next text box.

Hi,

When you select a type of training, and press start training, the window pops up to let you know what kind of training you are starting. There is only a continue button to press. There needs to be a cancel button also in case you change your mind after starting a certain type of training.

JG2 Draggin

Agreed. Also the bottom right hand box which has the text that appears at the top of your screen should keep the previous two messages that appeared at the top of your screen b/c sometimes I would find that I already reloaded my weapon so the tutorial immediately jumped passed a pop-up at the top of my screen and I didn't have enough time to read it.

Overall I would give the initial movement and weapons training I did a 90% so far. There are a few bugs but overall I think it tells you certain things that might not be common in other FPS games (like stamina etc) and gives you a basic understanding of how combat in WWIIOL goes. But I hope there will be something like "advanced weapons training" and "advanced infantry tactics" otherwise n00bs are still going to get slaughtered by the vets.

Known bugs:

1) tutorial messages at top of screen sometimes automatically move to next message if you have already done the sub-objective at an earlier stage in the tutorial (for example its most obvious when in the re-loading part of the tutorial)

SOLUTION: the tutorial never auto-moves to next screen unless player presses SPACEBAR

2) when firing at targets the tutorial registers as hits I believe only the targets directly in front of your initial spawn-in point

SOLUTION: make all the targets register as success otherwise a player might get frustrated by shooting at the second tgt not knowing that he should be shooting at the 2nd tgt in the 1st row only while him shooting at the 2nd tgt at the 6th row doesn't regester

Suggestions:

1) when you go to the ammo truck in the infantry movement training add a blurb about MSPs and the ability to get more ammo from them; then repeat the ammo truck thing during weapons training to really hammer this message home to n00bs

2) add the infantry lean function to the tutorial; and add a blurb how it is effective when clearing bunkers and tight hallways... b/c it is!

3) START HAMMERING HOME THE NOTION OF COVER AND CONCEALMENT!

This is an absolute must in WWIIOL for n00bs to survive and the #1 mistake they make. I think at the end of the first tutorial (infantry movement) there should be something like the following:

- "OK, now lets learn about the difference between cover and concealment, as this is an important skill to master in order to survive on the battlefield"

- "sprint to the waypoint from a prone position and go prone at the berm using the previous skills your learned"

- "good job! you have just run across open ground potentially eposing yourself to enemy fire. Make sure you minimize the amount of time in the open and dive for cover when availible. Notice you are behind a berm -- this position offers a lot of cover from enemy fire since their bullets cannot penetrate the berm but it offers poor concealment since there is nothing to help camoflauge you"

- "now lets learn the difference between cover and concealment. Follow the waypoint and crouch-sprint to the bushline using the skills you have learned"

- "Great! You have gotten "out of the open" by finding concealment close by - you are far more difficult to see by your enemy, but notice the difference. You may be difficult to see (this bush offers good concealment) but bullets pass right through it (so it offers very little cover"

- "Make sure you feel comfortable with the difference between cover and conealment as this will be a fundamental skill you will utilize daily on the battlefield. Good luck soldier! Now move on to weapons training!!!"

I like the idea of having to complete a training course when you first start playing. This will make the greenies viable players when they start, and they wont just be a waste of supplies for days on end until they either get helped by someone, or figure stuff out the hard way. But, I don't think current players above rank 1 or maybe even 3 should be made to do this...for they obviously know what they are doing to have gotten that far.

"Chances stance"

(fixed for .15 -bloo)

HUD Tutorial

- Mini-map disappears after Map tutorial completed; comes back when tutorial tells me to toggle HUD by pressing key.

- When the HUD tutorial is completed, I don't get an option to continue to the next tutorial.

Rifleman Tutorial

- Says to set range to 500m and try firing, but when I set the range to 500m using pageup, it automatically switches to the next tutorial screen.

- A screen's text reads "...Let's go quickly through them." and has a square after the period.(revised this line to remove first person plural for .15, but I don't see what would cause the square - attempted to remove any hidden line ending characters anyway -bloo)

- Spelling error in KNIFE section: "...if you can surprise him, your can often defeat them..."(fixed for .15 -bloo)

Brigade Selection

- It would be helpful to have each screen element pointed to or highlighted as the tutorial mentions them, such as "Duty Status", etc.

Brigade Map

- "...it draws a blue line that connects the brigade to its parent division..." The line is actually red, not blue (at least on Axis side).

(fixed for .15 -bloo)

Brigade HQ

- Communications screen is not shown

Mission List

- Spelling error: "They Type column..."

(fixed for .15 -bloo)

Available Forces

- Spelling error: "The list of available forces shows you want units may be used..."

(fixed for .15 -bloo)

HUD Tutorial

- Mini-map disappears after Map tutorial completed; comes back when tutorial tells me to toggle HUD by pressing key.

- When the HUD tutorial is completed, I don't get an option to continue to the next tutorial.

There isn't a next tutorial yet. But it should be graduating you there.

Brigade Selection

- It would be helpful to have each screen element pointed to or highlighted as the tutorial mentions them, such as "Duty Status", etc.

This works for me in .14

Brigade HQ

- Communications screen is not shown

This works for me in .14

Can you send me a screenshot so I can be precisely sure where these are in the flow?

• CORNERED RAT

Was pretty good, but noticed a few minor things - if there's time it may help new guys...

My Rifle, and Chat tutorials are complete at login, even though I have not attempted to run them yet.

The Movement tutorial:

- I used the Key Sequence WASD - could not get the "go" bell until I hit W a 2nd time

- The indicator for the "prone" position shows as crouched when it showes up in mid screen

- If you L Shift and W prior to hitting the space bar from prone position, the chat goes by way to fast to read

Map tutorial

- May want to swap some brigades around so the larger flag in antwer is british - It's a bit odd seeing the larger flag of france (yes I know what the city owner tile is, and where it is located, but new guys are going to see the flags 1st.......) - maybe show the contry icon in the chat as you show what country owns what city.

- You show the bridge, then zoom to the Airfield - then out to talk about roads. Might want to explain AB's, CP's, Docks, and the symbol for the AF bunker. This is the perfect spot to do it.

- when the game zooms out the shilde FB is visible - might be a good spot to at least show the FB symbol and touch on what it does.

- my map seems have the text forzen at the "germans have recaptured schilde part - it looks like the tutorial continues to EWS and rally pts. the symbols showed up, but no text to explain them. but only as I hit the space bar.

• CORNERED RAT

Was pretty good, but noticed a few minor things - if there's time it may help new guys...

My Rifle, and Chat tutorials are complete at login, even though I have not attempted to run them yet.

The Movement tutorial:

- I used the Key Sequence WASD - could not get the "go" bell until I hit W a 2nd time

- The indicator for the "prone" position shows as crouched when it showes up in mid screen

- If you L Shift and W prior to hitting the space bar from prone position, then stop, then hit the space bar, then L shift and W again, the chat goes by way to fast to read in mid screen (thank goodness for that R side text)

Map tutorial

- May want to swap some brigades around so the larger flag in antwerp is british - It's a bit odd seeing the larger flag of france (yes I know what the city owner tile is, and where it is located, but new guys are going to see the flags 1st.......) - maybe show the contry icon in the chat as you show what country owns what city.

- You show the bridge, then zoom to the Airfield - then out to talk about roads. Might want to explain AB's, CP's, Docks, and the symbol for the AF bunker. This is the perfect spot to do it.

- when the game zooms out the shilde FB is visible - might be a good spot to at least show the FB symbol and touch on what it does.

- my map seems have the text forzen at the "germans have recaptured schilde part - it looks like the tutorial continues to EWS and rally pts. the symbols showed up, but no text to explain them. but only as I hit the space bar.

Map: The tutorial says that Schilde has been captured by the British but the Schilde-Antwerp FB showed up as German for me between the two british cities.

• CORNERED RAT
Map: The tutorial says that Schilde has been captured by the British but the Schilde-Antwerp FB showed up as German for me between the two british cities.

with brigade rules that is what is supposed to happen

with brigade rules that is what is supposed to happen

They're supposed to get a FB behind the allied front lines?

Also regarding the flags in the map tutorial, Schilde is shown as owned by the Germans (and has the Axis symbol beside the town name), but the brigade flag is French. To avoid confusion, maybe the brigade flags should not be seen at all in this tutorial.

Elsewhere, someone mentioned seeing a green square in the center of their screen during one of the tutorials. I get this in the Rifleman training, when facing a 180 degree arc starting at a line parallel to the line of tents by the rifle range. This might be because the waypoint is behind me at that point. I have four screenshots showing where this green square appears and disappears, which I can provide upon request.

Finally, in the HUD tutorial, I found that when reading the text, the flashing red outlines were not in my field of view. Others with a resolution and screen size similar to mine might not even notice the flashing squares. I suggest that an arrow below but close to the text point towards the HUD element. I have a 19" CRT screen, and have the game set to a resolution of 1600x1200.