Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Infantry: limited turning while sprinting

mobius

We've dampened turning while sprinting to help reduce warping.  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Infantry movement in beta with limited turning while sprinting feels unresponsive and robotic when compared to the current implementation on the live server. This is most evident when moving in tight spaces like when exiting a spawn building.

Unrestricted infantry movement as it is on the live server is one of our primary tools of survivability. One example is moving through a non-damaged depot spawn building that is suppressed. Currently in this example, you can wait for a belt reload, run passed a window then turn a corner.

Now this can still be clumsily accomplished in the current beta implementation, but requires key press cycling (toggling sprint) and much more mouse movement.

Opinion: This specific implementation as it is in the current beta, is a deal breaker.

The way that sprint is modeled, toggle on, toggle off seems to be the root cause. One way to address this would be to model infantry acceleration up to a sprint. Another possibility is to allow a certain degree of turning momentarily disable sprint mode.

I think its a key feature of 1.31. It will remove A LOT of the warping player experience in game.

The increased survivability of the insta-turn ability is that you will warp around to other players making you very hard to hit.

I think its a key feature of 1.31. It will remove A LOT of the warping player experience in game.

The increased survivability of the insta-turn ability is that you will warp around to other players making you very hard to hit.

I didn't suggest a revert now did I?

The only issue I have with it is when you let go of the sprint button there is a delay before you have the quick turn. You have to wait for the sprint to slow to a walk and it makes it feel slow and clumsy.

Maybe it feel better if it was quicker to slow down but take longer to speed up? btw, the lag is non existent the last two days. I have the beta netcode 2 enabled and it is great.

Edited by snailtrail

I think it will be fine tuned over the time and we sure will get used to it

I know I allready did

I got used to it by not sprinting as much.

Its a great feature, but the implementation of it sucks. All it does is feel unresponsive. If your running that fast your head would move first, then your body would follow. Right now it just feels like your mouse sensitivity is set too low.

Its a great feature' date=' but the implementation of it sucks. All it does is feel unresponsive. If your running that fast your head would move first, then your body would follow. Right now it just feels like your mouse sensitivity is set too low.[/quote']

I agree, it feels odd. But the worst thing is it don't even achieve its purpose. If you use the prone > sprint > prone > sprint tactic you can make your sharp turns as you leave the prone stance. Since you then have sharp turns PLUS diving to the ground every few seconds, I can't see how it is gonna reduce warping, or make things more realistic.

(Also you can get round it by using a gaming mouse with on-the-fly sensitivity change)

I agree, it feels odd. But the worst thing is it don't even achieve its purpose. If you use the prone > sprint > prone > sprint tactic you can make your sharp turns as you leave the prone stance. Since you then have sharp turns PLUS diving to the ground every few seconds, I can't see how it is gonna reduce warping, or make things more realistic.

(Also you can get round it by using a gaming mouse with on-the-fly sensitivity change)

If the movements are more gentle when in a sprint then it is probably easier for the prediction code and reduces warp. do you think if it took longer to speed up to a sprint would it make it more realistic and would it stop the prone-sprint-prone tactic? When going prone while at sprinting speed should it affect your stamina and should you slide?

I've never tried the sprint.prone.sprint thing.

Edited by snailtrail

didnt the time between stances increase? i remember something about that, was probably just a discussion or something.

I'm sorry but this new feature does not change or prevent at all EI warping.

You can still warp around by sprinting and using the strafe left/right option to zig-zag while sprinting. Result is you running forward and warping left and right.

Yes, it does remove the warping caused by people sprinting and doing 'S' turns with the mouse to warp around and not be hit.. now you have 'Z' warping with strafing.

Disabling strafing while sprinting is a good thing to do (and realistic too).

However, it does not change the horrible feel the current low mouse sensitivity turns while sprinting.. its just game breaking for me. I'd be much happier if they made sprinting drain your stamina at an insane rate...

i mean think about it... not even the worlds best athletes can keep a pell-mell sprint carrying gear for more than 100 meters.

So, personally, I'd say increase the stamina drain so that you cant sprint for more than 50 meters at a time. That effectively kills the sprint while warping tactic in the new open terrain (you'll run out of stamina doing a warp-sprint , slow down and get shot) and makes the sprint a movement tool rather than cheating tool.

Disabling strafing while sprinting is a good thing to do (and realistic too).

Sounds like a good idea. I would go for that.

And I also think we'll get used to it.

Remember this is *SPRINT* we are talking about.

You can still turn sharp while JOGGING.

You should NOT be able to turn sharp while SPRINTING.

Unless you want CRS to model occasional sprained and broken ankles.

Ya know, at first Romsburg, you rubbed me the wrong way and I wasn't a fan. But over the past 12 months, you have really grown on me. You're precise, well spoken and although you are sometimes a little harsh, you are most often correct and in proper context with your responses.

indeed he's one of the few voices of common sense on these forums

I can't say [any]thing else [than] that the ban was justified considering that you have an 'impressive' TOS history....
The only thing worse than being talked about is *not* being talked about.

And I also think we'll get used to it.

Remember this is *SPRINT* we are talking about.

You can still turn sharp while JOGGING.

You should NOT be able to turn sharp while SPRINTING.

Unless you want CRS to model occasional sprained and broken ankles.

Your right, but there is a good way and bad way to go about it.

1.Program some changes to the animations to make it feel like your having trouble turning, that's why.

2. Turn down mouse sensitivity while sprinting and make it feel like you mouse doesn't work anymore with no indication why.

Which one makes sense to you?

Sounds like a good idea. I would go for that.

I wouldn't... the strafe while sprinting we have now is still rather reasonable. Changing directions by 90 degrees in a split second is not. Also lying down and standing up shouldn't be possible to do so quickly.

I wouldn't... the strafe while sprinting we have now is still rather reasonable. Changing directions by 90 degrees in a split second is not. Also lying down and standing up shouldn't be possible to do so quickly.

Id go with this also...I find it hard to get used to the new sprint movement but its definitely a good thing.

Ive seen it on beta where ei are trying to do a zig-zag warp over a field..but due to he reduced turn and smoother inf movements I was able to aim my rifle and pick them off

Your right, but there is a good way and bad way to go about it.

1.Program some changes to the animations to make it feel like your having trouble turning, that's why.

2. Turn down mouse sensitivity while sprinting and make it feel like you mouse doesn't work anymore with no indication why.

Which one makes sense to you?

False dichotomy worded in such a way as to make your argument by definition rather than by reasoning.

Read Me docs say what's what.

I knew exactly why turning-while-sprinting was different.

There is no problem here.

Ya know, at first Romsburg, you rubbed me the wrong way and I wasn't a fan. But over the past 12 months, you have really grown on me. You're precise, well spoken and although you are sometimes a little harsh, you are most often correct and in proper context with your responses.

I can't say [any]thing else [than] that the ban was justified considering that you have an 'impressive' TOS history....

Laying down should be fast gravity is on your side, besides if someone started shooting at you, you get down fast.

Laying down should be fast gravity is on your side' date=' besides if someone started shooting at you, you get down fast.[/quote']

Also, when you go prone form a jog or sprint there should be a few seconds of "getting settled" before you can aim or shoot.

Also, when you go prone form a jog or sprint there should be a few seconds of "getting settled" before you can aim or shoot.

there should be..but I imagine it would make the game feel very clunky (more so)..its ok to be realistic but because we arent fully in control of everything we do in game (like every individual movement) then it will get very frustrating sitting waiting to shoot whilst our character in game gets settled.

there should be..but I imagine it would make the game feel very clunky (more so)..its ok to be realistic but because we arent fully in control of everything we do in game (like every individual movement) then it will get very frustrating sitting waiting to shoot whilst our character in game gets settled.

I'm not saying there "should be" in the sense that it is realistic.

I'm saying there "should be" in the sense that it makes the game better.

When you take a shot at a guy running across an open field and miss, and he hits the dirt, there is no way he should be able to get a shot off at you before you take your second shot at his stationary form. You are already settled, braced, aimed. He has just hit the ground from a sprint or jog, and should be scrambling to get his rifle in position, trying to find the trigger, trying to find the rear sight, the front sight, the target.

When a player hits the dirt from a sprint and instantly rotates and fires an aimed and accurate shot, it is bad gameplay. It is also unrealistic, but more importantly it is bad gameplay.

Its a great feature' date=' but the implementation of it sucks. All it does is feel unresponsive. If your running that fast your head would move first, then your body would follow. Right now it just feels like your mouse sensitivity is set too low.[/quote']

We ticketed that from the Rat Chat. Ramp thinks he can do it.