Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback from a new recruit

disi

I created the account and installed the game yesterday.

There were two servers, one open and one training. The training one was always syncing and could not connect to it. So I went with the open and was then asked if I want to do the training.

The training is good, the movement and controls are very intuitive. I made it to the map tutorials, but after ~1.5h of hard training I needed a break. It also sort of finished that chapter and I should now start combat training? :)

• Like 2

Interesting that you bring that up. Just to double check: It might be confusing for new players having the option to chose between the live and training server when launching the game, especially if launching the live game still being confronted by the "training"?

Just wondering if that's the case, as I think you got a point there.

In regards to the training you did, it's a basic training trying to prepare you for the game as we think the WW2OL has quite a steep learning curve. So some aspects of the game are being handled in there to make it easier and not to get lost that fast after entering the battlefield.

You can interrupt the training with typing ".graduate true". You always can return to the training if you want to continue.

Thanks for your feedback! Keep on posting feedback if you don't mind. Always good to read the experience of new players

bb

OK, this is mind blowing :)

We fought over a city, when I finally saw a French I was so shocked, I missed. Then on the next spawn someone gave me a lift, I learned about the 'J' key. And you can ride on tanks as well.

Need to work on my kill/death ratio...

• Like 2

Lots to learn!

BIER, It'd be nice it brand new players got a short text bubble upon installing to let them now the .graduate true command, as well as other things like that the training server isn't the live campaign, etc. 

Disi, sounds like you're well on your way. You'll be treated to many fantastic battles and fun experiences as you continue. 

I still remember my first kill... It was after a long Opel ride and my squad were all drinking heavily; laughing, goofing on chat. We get to the town and run in, expecting nobody to be there, and I run around to the bunker and I see a French guy with a pistol out just as he sees me! I shot and killed him, and the rush was unreal. I had died so many times before, I was in shock!

This was in the old days when you could just fill a truck and go capture part or all of towns and DARE them to come out and fight you. You didn't need an attack order; every town was capturable.

Good to see new folks around! Especially new folks that like to shoot at French soldiers!

20 hours ago, disi said:

I created the account and installed the game yesterday.

There were two servers, one open and one training. The training one was always syncing and could not connect to it. So I went with the open and was then asked if I want to do the training.

The training is good, the movement and controls are very intuitive. I made it to the map tutorials, but after ~1.5h of hard training I needed a break. It also sort of finished that chapter and I should now start combat training? :)

Welcome aboard. Get in a squad and you will have the most fun. But if not....have fun anyway.

Enjoy...as many of us have for a long while now. 

Good stuff is coming.

S!

Few questions...

1. Is there friendly fire? I feel I think to much and shoot too little, some enemies ran in front of my gun and it took me a second too long to react.

2. I figured anyone without a name is enemy, but what about the SMG fortifications? Those are NPC? I guess any of those in enemy territory are hostile.

3. 0 are binoculars, but they narrow your vision so much down and I wouldn't be able to fight anything there. Would spotted targets be added to the minimap for me and others or only manual reporting?

4. Should I follow the leader? Sometimes the target gets outdated or I run forth and back in a village, trying to follow the rest.

5. Sometimes I become leader for some reason, may I screw things up if I set a new target?

6. If it is said, soldiers needed at X, is it OK to ESC and MIA, then look for the new battle or should I attempt to travel on foot?

Getting somewhere :)

Edited by disi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, disi said:

Few questions...

1. Is there friendly fire? I feel I think to much and shoot too little, some enemies ran in front of my gun and it took me a second too long to react.

2. I figured anyone without a name is enemy, but what about the SMG fortifications? Those are NPC? I guess any of those in enemy territory are hostile.

3. 0 are binoculars, but they narrow your vision so much down and I wouldn't be able to fight anything there. Would spotted targets be added to the minimap for me and others or only manual reporting?

4. Should I follow the leader? Sometimes the target gets outdated or I run forth and back in a village, trying to follow the rest.

5. Sometimes I become leader for some reason, may I screw things up if I set a new target?

6. If it is said, soldiers needed at X, is it OK to ESC and MIA, then look for the new battle or should I attempt to travel on foot?

Getting somewhere :)

1: No, neat as it sounds, friendly fire is a bit too overbearingly realistic when the game is MMO and you are playing with large groups of people in large battles
Potential for huge amounts of accidental shootings, which is no fun.

2: No tag = Enemy except for enemy aircraft, they have a red tag that shows plane type, it only fades in when the plane reaches what in real life should be an identifiable distance that a PC screen just does not recreate.

3: Binocs are just for looking, just like real life, you can not shoot etc while using them.
They are just for spotting or scouting.

4: Use a combo of seeing what others are doing, watching enemy marks, and watching chat or listening on discord.
The game is very dynamic, there can be multiple objectives at a single target, and many times things change on the fly.
Asking if you can shadow some guys with squad tags can be helpful.
And sometimes you just gotta go your own path.

5: Trust me, you wont break the game if you become leader.
The game wont let you ruin the mission, the worst you could do is accidentally delete the mobile spawn.
Dont do that :lol:  You have to right click it and choose delete, so no worries, it would only happen if you right clicked its mark on the map.

6: Dont try to run to XXX on foot, it is probably a hundred miles away
If you can RTB it is better than taking an MIA, MIA you lose half of any points you earned during that spawn
Also if you MIA your unit is removed from that brigades equipment.
Sometimes though you got no choice, your out in the middle of no place, but if you can RTB with out taking a boring long time to do so, try to.
IF you are on a mission that is ending and you are far out in the field, ask in chat if anyone might run a truck out and get you.
RTB is always best as for every MIA, HC has to send a letter home to your wife explaining why you are dead or missing again.

Getting somewhere is good, 16 years and im still trying to do that :D

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, one teeny little mistake i saw you doing in the video

You spawned axis

• Like 2

I figured, most people choose allies anyway, I will not run out of targets to shoot at ;) There was somewhere written about a point of no return, was it the progress of the campaign or my account? But I stick with axis, it is better to know all the weapons of one side and I only have to remember one friendly shape of helmets. The Le Enfield is a very good rifle (knowing it from Operation Flashpoint or Silent Storm) but the GW41 isn't bad either, it would be cool if you could pick up weapons and/or ammunition from fallen soldiers.

Does no friendly fire also apply to grenades? I am confirmed able to kill myself...

For the record: RTB (Return to Base) is if you ESC+OK near one of your own spawn points. The message box tells you if you RTB or MIA. Thx to Hastian explaining that on Discord. I am doing baby steps here.

Edited by disi

wockawocka

Nice little movie, the nervous moves, and keeping heading on "target" (even if it is not always feasible to even get there, because we vets are sloppy choosing targets).

Had a good laugh when you just got into the town, and an enemy truck was setting up a mobile spawn point, right in front of your eyes. Not sure what went through your head, but you were very lucky the truck driver didn't see you, or you would have been hunted for sure :) It also sheds light on the fact that mobile spawns are new to this game, and that a player will not get any points for nading a spawn point (even though the tactical advantage is huge).

9 hours ago, disi said:

I figured, most people choose allies anyway, I will not run out of targets to shoot at ;) There was somewhere written about a point of no return, was it the progress of the campaign or my account? But I stick with axis, it is better to know all the weapons of one side and I only have to remember one friendly shape of helmets. The Le Enfield is a very good rifle (knowing it from Operation Flashpoint or Silent Storm) but the GW41 isn't bad either, it would be cool if you could pick up weapons and/or ammunition from fallen soldiers.

Does no friendly fire also apply to grenades? I am confirmed able to kill myself...

For the record: RTB (Return to Base) is if you ESC+OK near one of your own spawn points. The message box tells you if you RTB or MIA. Thx to Hastian explaining that on Discord. I am doing baby steps here.

I am kidding.

Play both sides if you like, allied one day, axis the next, you pay for a whole game,  not just half of it.

You can kill yourself, thats suicide not friendly fire :D
But yes you can kill self with explosives, but not friends
EXCEPTION!!!!  If you blow up a building and friends are inside it, YES you will have killed them when the building collapsed on their heads.

Yes you can RTB with in range of any friendly spawn point
You can RTB at the mobile spawn, the range to do so is very small, have to literally be standing beside it.

Hehe that would be kind of cool to pick up some dead guys MG34, only problem is soon as i fire it all the allies near are going to start hunting for me.
After a while you come to know each weapons distinct sound and whether its friend or fo.
Of course that could go the other way too, you think thats a friend downstairs shooting, uh oh surprize! No it isnt! LOL

(what the bugger? why does it say im a free play account?)

Edited by merlin51

OK, I looked at the GameMonitor, brilliant! My new desktop background!

I didn't know we were doing so good, was just somewhere at St. Quentin and died a horrible death as usual. Nevertheless, I managed to kill somewhat six enemies and now I am Grenadier and can start with those MP that like to take me out in buildings all the time. Or LMG like the MP34.

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to make good use of the MP yet. Keep getting shot from a distance by those damn soldiers with rifles now -.-

N1aonOm.jpg

The game is so fast. I never know what to do.

Sometimes I check the briefing screen, look where is activity, spawn and then nothing...

Next time you spawn 10min away from the target  at an FRU and only 1-2 soldiers at your side, but once you reach the town there are 20 other soldiers just about to 'finish up' this town. I am too late to contribute, they immediately RTB and go to the next target before I can figure out where to go and I am alone again in the captured town. Should I camp then and wait for the counterattack?

If I understand the map above correctly, the French can ONLY successfully attack Walsoorden, the British can ONLY successfully attack St.Quentin and Lokeren, the Axis can ONLY successfully attack Antwerp and St.Niklaas at the moment. There is no point being anywhere else on the map?

p.s. I start using those abbreviations :)

pps. will grab my rifle again or try the MP34...

MP34 not MG34

Edited by disi
  • Like 1

If you want to see quickly whats active, in game type .obj l

This will show active attack and defend objectives
Any city not an active attack wont be a hotspot as a rule, there are exceptions though.
Same with defending.

Yes, sometimes you get to the attack to find it was already successful.
Watch your chat, your HC should always call out what the next AO (attack) will be.
As for Defense, look at any of your towns the enemy has an attack order on, if you see any capture points bearing enemy flags, thats a good indication there are guys to shoot there.

Yes currently the game sets a limit of 2 attack orders per side during high pop times, and when low pop times come it reduces to 1 attack order.
A long time ago the game let you attack most anyplace on the front lines, but as you can imagine, it made it hard overall to actually have battles, too much land to try to cover and defend. People spent too much time jumping all around the map chasing 1 man attacks, and not enough time having actual battles.
Im sure you can imagine how that went, lots of people spawning in to either find no battle, or find they were the only guest at a target shooting party.

So the attack orders help make sure that you can actually find a battle

As game population goes up (hopefully with steam release) they can allow more attack orders to be placed as the ingame population allows.

There are fights that do take place that have no attack order
Sometimes trying to take down enemy FB's in preparation for a new attack objective, and sometimes trying to stop an enemy from running support to a nearby town that would otherwise be running out of supplies.
Also, sometimes it might be to shut down the use of an enemy airfield by making it unsafe to take off or land.
There is no capturing in these things though, and they may or may not have any action.

One quick question. Overall six kills in three days since I play, is this OK or very bad?

I think I did most XP to the second rank with 3-4 captures and contributed maybe 40 kills to other players by dying.

There was this one guy on the second floor of a house, one of our guys ran up and got hammered down with a machine gun, the other and I threw grenades and then he got killed, then I got killed. He just ran through the room and shot us all. I respawned and tried again, first grenades but no chance, killed again. Then I left him alone in that house.

Edited by disi

Man sometimes all i do is contribute 6 deaths in 3 minutes :)

Sometimes when going for a CP, you're going to die a lot

45 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Man sometimes all i do is contribute 6 deaths in 3 minutes :)

Sometimes when going for a CP, you're going to die a lot

well  you got me a few times the other night.

Good job!

S!

• Free Play Account

Your doing great...I don't think i had my first kill until a week went by.

If you decide to join a squad then make sure its a squad thats willing to teach new players and has members on when you play...

Good luck

Thanks, at the moment there is not much going on. I was at Bavay got killed and now the attack got cancelled.

GameMonitor still shows stuff at Vervins, but ingame everything is under control. I killed one there who tried to capture earlier. And my internet line keeps dropping, thanks BT -.-

p.s. nevermind, that was loud! Back in a sec, just needed to post this...

Edited by disi

I almost, just almost, heard the crunching of bones under tank tracks.
hehehe that was close

• Free Play Account

@disi

hit the numlk key in game to see your connection and other pertinent info

Also good guide here