Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback from a new recruit

disi

59 minutes ago, disi said:

OMG:  0.11 K/D ratio

54 deaths

well... 

The only way is up :)

• Like 1

Why are the game server IP such a secret? People saying ping, but what? Digging in the forum I found in a post from 2007

66.28.6.226 or 204.70.193.9

Wondering if this is still up to date. Here from work I can only ping the second IP.

That checknet4 tool URL is down and there is no batch file in my game directory.

Another random IP here: 66.28.224.240 from a thread in 2012.

And the domain name for the authentication server: auth.playnet.com

Depending on what I ping, I get something between 90ms and 125ms.

I also played around with netcode enabled/disabled. When I had it disabled, I saw someone entering the building and shot him. But I also saw two guys when the netcode was enabled and shot them. Most of the time when I die, I do not see where it is coming from. It is either some tank, some bomb from a plane, some sharpshooter (though I did see the last one sitting on the roof) or some rifleman I didn't see while I was trapped in the water and the many other times.

The best strategy seems to be:

- in attack, see where one of your team dies, stop and scan the area, DO NOT GO TO THE SAME SPOT, concentrate on buildings to capture, eventually you may run into an enemy player, shoot, if you miss, retreat, wait for him to come to you or take a different path, he may not miss a second time waiting for you to show up again.

- in defense, find a spot on the first floor in a damaged building with a good view, lay flat so you see a particular area from where the last attack originated, wait 5-10min then find another spot, be patient.

- if you see an enemy, shoot, if you miss, retreat, take cover and wait for him to move to you, who moves dies first.

Those ideas of playing the game are contrary to all those guides, but it seems to work better for me and most other players just sit somewhere and wait for someone to run into their line of sight as well*. There are also many who run and gun, but those are really good players.

*maybe there is a conspiracy going on, they put up the guide to make new players run around while they themselves hide in a tank or with a rifle and wait for them to show up. ^^

p.s. allies advancing again -.- Time to switch sides? Nah...

Edited by disi

pinging auth.playnet.com is what you do normally, thats your main checkin point.

as far as game play, be fluid, be ready to adjust to the situation.
Dont worry about your K/D, it's just a number.

Think of it this way, if you kill me 10 times but i still cap the spawnable, you got worse things to worry about now than 10 of me.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 1:16 AM, disi said:

OMG:  0.11 K/D ratio

54 deaths

well... 

Heh go look up my campaign 2 stats
That's what happens when you are the truck driver :huh:

• Like 1

It is very warm here at the moment. Yesterday evening I went home, ate something, got killed twice, went to bed and woke up this morning :)

Those two sorties yesterday for example.

Attack St. Quentin, I went in, made my way towards the British CP, there were some bushes in the middle with fallen trees and cover. I lay down and watched some soldiers moving out of the building at maybe 200-300m distance, after shooting a few rounds in their direction, I moved a bit back and then to the left behind a fallen tree, then forward again to check and was greeted with a burst of machine gun fire from the front that killed me instantly, didn't see the enemy. Time on Mission 10min.

Respawn, went to the same group of bushes but way further back, checking if the enemy advances, lie down and watch for 30sec, hear footsteps, 1sec later get killed from the back by someone with a machine gun, didn't see the enemy. Time on Mission 1min.

Edited by disi

14 hours ago, disi said:

went to the same group of bushes

1st mistake

14 hours ago, disi said:

lie down and watch for 30sec, hear footsteps

last mistake

If it looked like a good spot, and you were killed there once, the enemy probably also recognizes it as a good spot and is watching it.
Sometimes you can rack up a lot of kills that way.

• Like 1

As Infantry, can you do anything against tanks?

I did some training with the ATG (AntiTankGun), like deploy with 'B' and then use it like a rifle :) (given you are not shot first)

Nevermind, my rank is too low to use it in the live game. This is a bit counterproductive. I can use AT vehicles, which I have no clue on using, tried the AA once and got shot in 5sec. Also switching between keyboard and gamepad is just weird. The Panzerbuechse on the other hand is real infantry and probably much easier to use, point and shoot.

The AT and AA vehicles are also not available for training.

I did also some experimentation with the truck. 'Z' to deploy an FMS (Forward Mobile Spawn), but I keep getting your mission expired. Only mission leaders can deploy those? Most of the FB are 10-15min from town, I would love to drive infantry closer or set up a spawn point for them :/

Apparently that is just a Panhard camping the FB at Maubeuge, we have ~200 Rifleman left. :) Lets see if I can damage him...

Edited by disi

1 hour ago, disi said:

As Infantry, can you do anything against tanks?

I did some training with the ATG (AntiTankGun), like deploy with 'B' and then use it like a rifle :) (given you are not shot first)

Nevermind, my rank is too low to use it in the live game. This is a bit counterproductive. I can use AT vehicles, which I have no clue on using, tried the AA once and got shot in 5sec. Also switching between keyboard and gamepad is just weird. The Panzerbuechse on the other hand is real infantry and probably much easier to use, point and shoot.

The AT and AA vehicles are also not available for training.

I did also some experimentation with the truck. 'Z' to deploy an FMS (Forward Mobile Spawn), but I keep getting your mission expired. Only mission leaders can deploy those? Most of the FB are 10-15min from town, I would love to drive infantry closer or set up a spawn point for them :/

Apparently that is just a Panhard camping the FB at Maubeuge, we have ~200 Rifleman left. :) Lets see if I can damage him...

There are a few infantry types that can kill tanks.

You can edit the keymapper to help with buttons

Only one FMS per mission. If one was set up already it wont deploy. The mission has to be set to the FB and you must be within a couple kms from your target. Y

you couldnt jump into a general defensive mission and drive to another town to set a FMS. The towns and FBS need to be connected.

Stay with it. GL

Gefreiter, yeah yeah!

Maubeuge is nuts, forth back shot a bunch, got shot a lot... :D

Uhhh -.- and even failed to type into mission chat...

What are Killer N/A - Unknown Weapon? Got me twice in a row now near Avesnes. Is this AI?

Is there a way to access keybindings/preferences while you are in the game? Intuitive ESC just brings up the window to leave the battle. All the F-keys do nothing and I tried all other keys I think.

Edited by disi
  • Like 1

One of my horrible deaths series (if I were an actor, I would win a price with this) :D

• Like 1

That, was the best thing that i have seen all day!
You keep doing that and axis will roll the map, because allies be laughing too hard to fight.

PS you owe me a keyboard

48 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

That, was the best thing that i have seen all day!
You keep doing that and axis will roll the map, because allies be laughing too hard to fight.

PS you owe me a keyboard

Glad you like it. I learned, you have to hold down the mouse button to apply the charge ;) 

Also, run around the tents, place all your charges, then back to the APC to reload
you will get the FB down faster, you have enough time to run around it and not blow yourself up.

I'll try to summarise my impression so far.

1. Everyone is great ingame, it is super rare if someone during a mission writes something like "noobs" and even then I take it ironic. Everyone pulls together, dies or wins together. The veteran players have more of an idea what is going on and spawn the heavy machinery or aircraft if needed.

2. The atmosphere is impressive, there are moments in this game where you cannot hear anything but bombs, explosions and gunfire. Other times you hear an owl while crawling into position at night, later you hear an annoyed dog barking in the distance. The tank sounds are the best... either good or bad.

3. All the strategic things around the general campaign are very interesting, you as a soldier take part in something that is much bigger. It is enough if you shoot enemies around an objective, can capture or help capture a town, defend an objective, can take out an enemy forward base, can report enemy movements, can blow up an AI defence, report enemies, I could go on here. There are so many possibilities to play the game, even if you just drive a truck and give infantry a ride now and then, how happy was I when someone in a truck came by and asked if I need a ride.

4. The levelling part of the game is merely to unlock better weapons, of which there are often few. I would really like to take an anti-tank-gun or a mortar out for an attack, not sure if it is not the tier, there are not enough supplies or my rank is still too low. We should have a shooting range for every single weapon, which I think exists, but the vehicles are hard to train. As mentioned earlier no clue how to operate an AT gun for example. Well it is hard, as long as I get my rifle I am OK for now.

5. The mechanics are very good, not a single weapon is overpowered, everything dies somehow. There is of course rock/paper/scissors and you should not expect to take out tanks, carry a machine gun, throw grenades like a god and if needed drive a truck into town. Some of this would really be great but I guess it is hell to balance or difficult to implement. Things like picking up weapons/ammunition from fallen soldiers or drive vehicles and fight on foot.

6. Different skills/equipment for each side, this is the best you can have in a PvP game and helps a lot to actual identify whom you fight with. Shape of helmets, colours of uniforms and their equipment. It helps to have names over friendly soldiers and that they are shown on the minimap. In the future I may be able to identify foe and friendly fire by sound as well...

7. I couldn't believe how fast I died all the time, but you get used to it. See it as a role you play in the brigade, you are not that soldier, you merely use that resource/equipment of your brigade. If you die then that spot of a rifleman or fighter plane will not be available for anyone else to play for a while. This is also scary because you may use up all the stuff and your side lose the campaign! It would require a lot of time, but could be done (I see a Steam achievement here ;)). If noone rushes a town, the attack comes to a halt and will fail. We need those soldiers who just play the game. Rushing a town and knowing only 1/3 will make it to the other side is part of it and something people should be proud of. But remember to always report enemies you spot, help defend or capture buildings.

8. Players should be forced to pick a side at the beginning of the campaign or when they start playing after a few days. Maybe some weird betrayal quest to be able to change afterwards. You could become a civilian or just non-combatant for a while and have to travel on foot all the way through enemy lines to report to some headquarter of the enemy.

9. I need to think something really bad up now... let us change the text colour of the chat.
A fast command feature would be cool. I know this from other games, where you can issue radio commands to your AI-squad. Like F2+F1 could mean F2=board and F1=truck, the players around the guy hear all the same command to board the truck and it would always be the same voice/sound/quality. F3=enemy->F2=tank->F1=North->F3=200m and everyone near hears it. I know there is third party voice chat but often you have pickup groups and/or the mission leader is busy or doesn't know how or doesn't want to give commands. It would also be unified, some players seem to be on Discord, some may still use Teamspeak and other only use pure ingame features like chat. The fact that voice chat is not mandatory is good, because there are players who just don't like it.
The graphics are dated, but OK. Too much rubble would just distract, I guess. Often I wonder if some players reduce all their settings to 0 and play this game like a Quake3 map? I do have mostly 60fps, but often it just syncs down to 30 and never goes up again*? That with all best settings.

*I am an idiot, the recording is set to 30fps :D All good!

Edited by disi
  • Like 1

• CORNERED RAT
On 7/8/2017 at 6:24 AM, disi said:

.What are Killer N/A - Unknown Weapon? Got me twice in a row now near Avesnes. Is this AI?

Is there a way to access keybindings/preferences while you are in the game? Intuitive ESC just brings up the window to leave the battle. All the F-keys do nothing and I tried all other keys I think.

Killer N/A is when the person who killed you is still alive.  Once that person dies his/her name will appear in your stats (http://stats.wwiionline.com)  as the killer. 

To access the keymapper Look for the preferences tab (top R of screen when not spawned in or Open map then top right).  You can customize each piece of equipment.  

On 7/8/2017 at 8:24 AM, disi said:

Gefreiter, yeah yeah!

Maubeuge is nuts, forth back shot a bunch, got shot a lot... :D

Uhhh -.- and even failed to type into mission chat...

What are Killer N/A - Unknown Weapon? Got me twice in a row now near Avesnes. Is this AI?

Usually you see killer n/a if the other person hasn't despawned yet. (I assume you mean in the stats page) it keeps people from getting too much info.

Yes, M (map) then the keymap tab. I check it every now adn then for a function I don't use often.

And you are doing fine. I'm not the best trainer ingame due to having done it so long and it all being second nature(and I get tunnel vision on what I'm doing). And don't worry about dieing and long as you don't keep going into a camped fru or FB you are fine. I die ALOT. Still. After 15 years...

1 hour ago, haupt said:

I die ALOT. Still. After 15 years...

Those who dont die, arent capturing

OK, how to train/test all weapons and vehicles:

1. Go onto the training server.
2. Create your own mission, it needs some fiddling but you get there :)
3. Now you can change in the Ready Room to whatever you want and shoot on empty houses or build stuff.
4. Key-Mapping and Preferences can be accessed via 'M' (map) ingame on the other tabs.
5. The folder icon next to the unit in the Ready Room shows you some information and/or history of the weapon/unit.

Sorry, this all sounds a bit dumb but may be helpful. I never understood why people say you can easily complete/skip training, you still really really want to test those in your own custom mission.

For any stationary weapons like AT or AA, you usually have a driver and a gunner. Move with the driver (gamepad), deploy with 'Z', change to the gunner seat '1', '.' on the NumPad changes the aiming mode, aim with the gamepad, fire away with the gamepad. Redeploy using 'Z' again.

No idea how I survived this...

3jvnNBQ.jpg

Edited by disi
  • Like 1

81min on a mission, that is a new record and 0 kills or deaths. There wasn't much going on... and I failed to get to the enemy FRU in time.

Obergefreiter (rank 4)^^

p.s. any way to turn off XP at rank 5 when I can drive all tanks/vehicles? I am not interested in officer ranks...

Edited by disi

2 hours ago, disi said:

any way to turn off XP at rank 5 when I can drive all tanks/vehicles? I am not interested in officer ranks...

No, but fortunately, unless you join HC, the officer rank does not imply any added responsibility on you.
And at later stages in the game, when much more equipment can be modeled, you might need that rank.

OK, I just read up and watched a video from WySoSerieus about chat and how to place those fancy names with status into it.

If you are in a CP (Capture Point) you can use $here to report the name and the current status like 0%. If an enemy walks in you want to send that to the mission chat.

This is probably the most important command that everyone should know playing this game.

https://wiki.wwiionline.com/view/Text_Commands

Some more feedback about Squads. I think the game needs some sort of 'Starter-Squad' you autojoin or at least something says when you login you should join this squad to learn the game. I read something like this existed in the past? It is/was a huge success in DAoC for example and you have immediately people to talk to, which is not so much an issue here in this game.

Of course someone of the GMs or some experienced person would need to run trainings in the squad and willing to explain the same things over and over again :)

It would need some training program, because reading the wiki is OK and asking questions is OK if you know what to ask or search for. Noone reads a wiki from page 1-1000.

Edited by disi

I should read the chat, they were literally asking every single infantry going out to smoke the road:

• Like 1

Discord:

I had some great sessions a couple of days ago, everyone was in the same place reporting tanks and stuff. Even I reported enemies and talked in the room.

If everyone hordes in one huge channel, then I have no idea what is going on. Some are reporting ei at FB near town1, then other report enemy here or there, then someone says I am going to Town3 and so on. I usually just go silence and/or move to another room like General.

Why are those PRIORITY [ATTACK] and PRIORITY [DEFENSE] not used very often?

But it wasn't easy, the Allies were fighting us all the way house for house and town for town. There was this last CP (they could respawn and jump right through the roof into the CP) where I have seen corpse after corpse after corpse in the end.

On our side they were partially too frightened to go in on their side those smg guys often took out three of us inside the CP running up and down spaying bullets. In the end I ran in lay down and emptied my magazines into the general direction to where the Allies enter the building until capped.

Role model for infantry is holzmann, a real Kampfsau (Fighting Machine?).

Edited by disi