Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Shooting Through Concrete

rabbit

Just got shot from a German player who from what it looks like to me fired straight up in the air but they hit me.  From my view it would be impossible to see over the concrete wall at the sites and be able to hit me.  I din't fire because there was only the top of the helmet which would have been hard enough from the distance I was at.  Can something be done to fix this stuff?

cB1xRhS-aWZUp2ppUgNlodnpEWJmDpZ6blU6Un7w

if hes a rifle with a view of a helmet, i think u are gonna get your head shot off.

If i had a rifle i would have taken the shot but not with the mas38.  This isn't the first time I've seen this happen.

hannes now and tehn bees  smg's threww  a wall b4 no vis ot  enemy ( had haapend 3 teims now)

It isn't how you perceive the geometrical relationships and shot angles that matters. It's what the shooter sees. His client determines the shot geometry and whether a hit occurs. If yes, his client sends your client a notification of where you were hit.

Remember that there are always-significant differences in dynamic positioning of moving units due to internet time lag, and sometimes-significant differences in positioning of stationary units due to movement information going up to the server and then back to all other relevant units at lower spatial resolution than would be ideal, due to bit rationing in packets. You may have perceived yourself as sufficiently behind cover though not by a huge margin, while his client saw you as sticking out. To be assured of being fully behind cover, it's good to allow some margin to accommodate spatial resolution limitations.

Edited by jwilly

It's different between your killers client and your client.

Your killer shoots somewhere, like a direct hit on you; You will see the shot hit the ground, thinking he didn't hit you or that death was BS.

I get what your saying Jwilly but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed at some point.  I know this issue is as old as the game but it should be classified more as a bug rather than a feature.

1 hour ago, rabbit said:

it doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed at some point. 

I don't mean to suggest that CRS is happy that the game is suboptimal in this way. 

If someday they can have multiples-faster servers, and multiples-more client-server bandwidth / packet sizes, I'm sure they'll be very happy to increase the resolution of all data currently sent from first unit-server-second unit regarding positions and orientations, and shooter-server-target regarding aim, hitpoint and so forth.

And yes, the current infantry limitation is real, and bad, that the eyepoint and the collider point are vertically over the terrain contact point which causes perceived-self-position error when prone. It'd be great to fix that too. The problem there is, all of the obvious simple fixes cause other, even-worse game effects, i.e. moving the prone eyepoint (and the collider point, and the terrain contact point, which is the center of rotation) forward to the eyes results in very much more uncollidable-legs-sticking-into-objects-or-through-wall issues.

CRS doesn't yet have the client code/processing power to make infantry models with many more collider points and more degrees of bodily flexibility and automatic adaptability to positions close to impenetrable objects.