Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Why are we CTDing?

atgman

4 hours ago, B2K said:

Is the account having issues steam or organic?   

Recently there has been an uptick of issues related to the steam API (mostly manifested as errors at launch) - we've reached out to valve to see what's going on.

I don't login thru steam and I CTD'd.

Happened a min ago,

Yesterday was fine.

------------------
System Information
------------------

Edited by atgman
remove dxdiag data

7th time since thread start.

Dxdiag is available.

So, what is being done to fix this.

Seems like 1000% more important to fix spontaneous CTDs than adding new toys, which also will CTD.

This time I had a quick look at fps and packet, all normal except game  froze and second later CTD.

Can you think of anything that is happening in game that happens just before all of your CTD's? 

This sort of thing is virtually impossible for a coder to find if they cannot replicate it on their machine. 

• Registered Users

We are trying to find the why. Can't fix a unknown cause until we know the cause. 

I noticed another thing CTDing today, in that I was despawning whilst under-fire, when I CTD'd. This is not far removed from the situation the other day, when I had crew members killed by a 232 and thought the hit-sprites were to blame. It's almost as if effects such as the hit-sprites occuring after or in the process of despawning or being killed, are causing the CTD?

Has happened to me sitting in a tank no-one closer than several hundred meters, no visual people, not firing, not taking fire.

I CTD all the time... usually just after spawning in... I can be playing for hours without any problems then get killed by a super lagger in a depot and immediately CTD on respawning, almost as if they've infected my machine with their bullets!

By far the most annoying thing though, more than a CTD, is the random "you are being auto despawned..." - I've lost count of the hours I've lost to this game because of that.

12 minutes ago, atgman said:

Has happened to me sitting in a tank no-one closer than several hundred meters, no visual people, not firing, not taking fire.

What units were you on the other occasions? 

Were any bombs being dropped near you, any grenades being thrown, were you at the map screen, were you typing? 

The coders will need some sort of clue in order to have any chance of finding the bug within the hundreds of thousands of lines of code. 

4 hours ago, dijpa said:

I CTD all the time... usually just after spawning in... I can be playing for hours without any problems then get killed by a super lagger in a depot and immediately CTD on respawning, almost as if they've infected my machine with their bullets!

By far the most annoying thing though, more than a CTD, is the random "you are being auto despawned..." - I've lost count of the hours I've lost to this game because of that.

The auto despawn will be down to a problem with your Internet connection, there are some steps somewhere on this forum for you to check it. 

Edited by warspite

• Registered Users
47 minutes ago, warspite said:

The auto despawn will be down to a problem with your Internet connection, there are some steps someone on this forum for you to check it. 

Correct. Once your packets get so far behind the game despawns you. 

As to this CTD issue, we are still hunting a cause. 

I have not experienced auto despawn, if that mean despawning but still in game.

When I say CTD I mean Crash To Desktop = game crashing, PC works normally except that..

I have been in many different situations when CTDing, cant find a common theme.

Also FYI, I have supplied numerous DXdiag reports to CRS.

Just crashed in intermission, that why I'm here in the forums now.

Edited by atgman

1 hour ago, atgman said:

I have not experienced auto despawn, if that mean despawning but still in game.

When I say CTD I mean Crash To Desktop = game crashing, PC works normally except that..

I have been in many different situations when CTDing, cant find a common theme.

Also FYI, I have supplied numerous DXdiag reports to CRS.

Just crashed in intermission, that why I'm here in the forums now.

Do you play other games? 

Do you notice any problems with other games or apps? 

Whilst a dxdiag may point out a problem it doesn't help the coders that much really. 

There has to be something fairly unique about your pc though because most people aren't getting the ctd's. I take it you've tried a complete reinstall of the game? 

Opening the map too fast, when you spawn in can cause CTD. 

I usually wait a second before opening map or I will crash half the time.

Other than that I do not CTD often at all.

In my case this is something that has started this fall, and getting worse.

Something has changed regarding WWII online.

I have had this PC in current config since 2017, been playing WWiionline since 2011, never experienced this number of CTDs before.

My PC is stable and run valley benchmark in ultra quality in 2560X1440 resolution without overheating or crashing.

As mentioned above, sitting on a good fiber service with cable (not Wi-Fi) from the modem to the PC.

I have tried fresh installs of the latest update, both 32 and 64 bit, no difference.

Regarding DXdiag, I have no idea, but is CRS is asking for it when ever a CTD issue is discussed.

18 minutes ago, atgman said:

In my case this is something that has started this fall, and getting worse.

I have tried fresh installs of the latest update, both 32 and 64 bit, no difference.

Is it actually 'getting worse'?  because a problem with the game code shouldn't be getting worse when they aren't changing it, if it is getting worse then it could point to a problem with your pc

I'm not on the CRS team anymore so I don't know what was changed in the last patch, I'm sure nothing that they feel could be related to this otherwise they'd have said so.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon though, it is frustrating having an issue like this.

I think we can 100% rule out my PC as the problem:

XOOM would not post the above if it was only a few guys suffering this problem.

• Registered Users

We are working (even today) on trying to nail down this issue.

I'm now experiencing CTD's virtually every mission, certainly every 2 or more. Moving forwards with strafing movement seems to be cause.