Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Gun stops firing

dwalin

Do we have any idea what causes this?  It happens fairly frequently to me where I'll be firing my LMG/SMG/Whatever and then an infantry runs in front of my and the gun just randomly stops firing.  Still holding the trigger button, still ammo left, all that, just stops firing.  Do we have any idea what the cause of this is?  

• Registered Users

When this happens take a look at the packet bar and look for breaks in the line for lost packets 

1 hour ago, OHM said:

When this happens take a look at the packet bar and look for breaks in the line for lost packets 

I'll give that a shot and see if I notice any. 

Sometimes if you come up from a prone or crouching position, your gun won't shoot.

If it's not that, then I don't know what it could be. 

Never had this happen to me, only when the gun won't shoot when you come up from a prone or crouching position.

11 hours ago, iceweiner said:

Sometimes if you come up from a prone or crouching position, your gun won't shoot.

If it's not that, then I don't know what it could be. 

Never had this happen to me, only when the gun won't shoot when you come up from a prone or crouching position.

Yeah that's not it.  I'll just be firing away and then someone will walk in front of my gun (or a plane will fly in front of it) and it just stops shooting.  I have to release the button the press it again for it to fire again

8 hours ago, dwalin said:

Yeah that's not it.  I'll just be firing away and then someone will walk in front of my gun (or a plane will fly in front of it) and it just stops shooting.  I have to release the button the press it again for it to fire again

Hmm, seems odd.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:34 PM, OHM said:

I confirmed last night there was no packet loss at all, at least not in the little window I had.  It just seems so random, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.  I know I mentioned it yesterday when it happened and we had a guy who flies a lot in channel.  He said it happens to him too and there have been a couple other squad members with the same issue

On 11/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, dwalin said:

Do we have any idea what causes this?  It happens fairly frequently to me where I'll be firing my LMG/SMG/Whatever and then an infantry runs in front of my and the gun just randomly stops firing.  Still holding the trigger button, still ammo left, all that, just stops firing.  Do we have any idea what the cause of this is?  

I have run into this before, a long time ago, and it proved to be the repeat-rate of characters assigned to a particular button - in this case "fire". If it's set too high - and some programming stick software can allow very high repeat rates, it can spam the game software with so many commands it chokes. This actually occurred to me in a different game (Aces High) but it manifested in the same way you describe, and was eventually proved to be the repeat rate rather than the game software itself. I mention this as a possible place to look. It may not be the game software at all, even if other's have the same problem.

The other line of enquiry might be sound-related, as automatic fire seems to be the problem area as you describe it. If you fly, does it only happen with ground units, or does it happen flying too?

Edited by fidd

11 hours ago, OHM said:

Jot stick or Keyboard fire control ?

i highly doubt that ppl are playing infantry with a Joystick 

29 minutes ago, undercova said:

i highly doubt that ppl are playing infantry with a Joystick 

Right, I would never swap my steering wheel for a Joystick...

Anyway - I did encounter this as well when shooting airplane MGs.

Edited by vanapo

• CORNERED RAT

Does your keyboard have some kind of 'sticky keys' function where it'll time-out / stop accepting input if hit x number of times in succession or held for to long?  I used to have one that did that and it was annoying as hell when playing almost any game. 

I remember a tread a few years back where someone could not fire aircraft MGs, randomly.

I cant find the thread, but a RAT might.  (search is so slow that it basically doesn't work for me)

There might be a solution mentioned in that thread?

I (and others) brought this up before. Or at least something similar enough. 
As Dwalin states: "It happens fairly frequently to me where I'll be firing my LMG/SMG/Whatever and then an infantry runs in front of my and the gun just randomly stops firing" .  
I had this issue on my PC laptop. It seems to have completely stopped now I am on a mac. (The ONLY issue I seem to have on my imac is not hearing gunfire, mostly my own. Sometimes rifle, sometimes AA). But anyway - this was a huge issue for me and the point we need to look at is "and then an infantry runs in front of my and the gun just randomly stops firing" - THAT was my complaint. It ALWAYS seemed to happen when I had a 100% hit targeted.  EI in sights, click the fire button. Nothing. No click ,no response nothing. Move the cursor away from the Ei and back again and I can let off a shot.
This would usually occur for me with a rifle. I almost only play rifle or AA. But it would also occur with a SATCHEL placement. I'd just stand there with a satchel waving about in front of me. And a satchel placement is a 100% target hit if you're standing in front of an object you're trying to place it on.
So the targeted/hit thing must surely be a part of this. 
I even had it with a pistol in intermission, standing in front of an opel aiming at the driver, my pistol would not fire.
I had to change weapon, back again, then it would fire.

Happened to me the other day on an FB defense mission. 

Was a tank hosing down the bushes where EI was marked. MG stopped firing while I was sweeping the bushes, then started up. Zoned in on the spot with my commander and wouldn't ya know, I see a rifle barrel poking out.  Went back and hosed him down and the MG worked fine. 

Totally weird.  Have to pay attention to this more, since I thought it was my joystick button malfunctioning on me. 

Edited by Mosizlak

On 11/17/2021 at 9:00 AM, dwalin said:

Reminds me of building a ppo and then a message pops up and my build is just cancelled. Something about the message interrupts the action. "so and so is now leading this mission" and bam have to start over.

18 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Happened to me the other day on an FB defense mission. 

Was a tank hosing down the bushes where EI was marked. MG stopped firing while I was sweeping the bushes, then started up. Zoned in on the spot with my commander and wouldn't ya know, I see a rifle barrel poking out.  Went back and hosed him down and the MG worked fine.  And to Mo's comment, it very specifically does it when an enemy unit crosses in front of my gun.  If I just sit there and fire, it'll be fine.  But the only times it has ever stopped firing is when an enemy unit crosses where I would have hit it

Totally weird.  Have to pay attention to this more, since I thought it was my joystick button malfunctioning on me. 

Yeah, I thought it was just me for a while.  But then I said something about it when I was defending a CP or bunker (can't remember which).  An EI ran in, I started firing, a second EI ran in and my gun just stopped as he crossed in front of it.  Said something on Discord and others chimed in it happens to them too.

And it happens with both joystick (flying or in a tank or whatever) or with mouse when I'm playing infantry.  

Edited by dwalin

I have found that as infantry, when you stop running and immediately try to shoot, stand or go prone you can't fire.  Seems to be related to movement.  

I think the tank mg that stops firing in the middle of firing is a different bug

On 11/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, dwalin said:

Yeah, I thought it was just me for a while.  But then I said something about it when I was defending a CP or bunker (can't remember which).  An EI ran in, I started firing, a second EI ran in and my gun just stopped as he crossed in front of it.  Said something on Discord and others chimed in it happens to them too.

And it happens with both joystick (flying or in a tank or whatever) or with mouse when I'm playing infantry.  

do you know if  you did  the Jesus when it happened?

I have been tracking this for a while and unable to replicate it, the only time I have managed to have this happen was when I was killed in the middle of throwing a nade and spawning back in. That being said I have only ever had this happen once. The more information on what people was doing before, may be the key to tracking and replicating the issue.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, dwalin said:

This one I have not heard of before. 

I had this happen to me once last night while playing. I was in a CP with an MP34 SMG, a french soldier ran in. I was stationary in a kneeling position facing the door. I pressed my fire button on the mouse (left mouse button) and nothing happened. The mag was full. I let go and pressed again and the gun started firing, but by this time the other guy was already firing and I was dead. It has happened in the past too, but I didn't take much notice of it or .bug it thinking maybe my mouse just needed new batteries.