Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Gun stops firing

dwalin

Any chance of getting a dxdiag mainly from Vmanstein, Sicness & Dwalin to start with.

No need to post them here, if you could pm me them on the forums or discord that would be great.

16 hours ago, vmanstein said:

I had this happen to me once last night while playing. I was in a CP with an MP34 SMG, a french soldier ran in. I was stationary in a kneeling position facing the door. I pressed my fire button on the mouse (left mouse button) and nothing happened. The mag was full. I let go and pressed again and the gun started firing, but by this time the other guy was already firing and I was dead. It has happened in the past too, but I didn't take much notice of it or .bug it thinking maybe my mouse just needed new batteries.

That's why I made this post, because I thought it was just me too.  But then others said they had something similar and they thought it was just them.  Clearly must be something. 

And yes @KEMPI, I'll get that to you

• Thanks 1

I'll try to read over that thread.  I just had it happen.  Put in a dot bug just to get any of the server data from that moment.

Me: Sniper at Diest

Shooting at: doctori2 (he killed me after my gun wouldn't fire)

Ping: 68

No packet loss

Had no problems shooting at him prior to that moment, missed one shot while he was running.  Then he stopped, my aim went right on him, I pushed the mouse and nothing.  Pushed it again as I died and it fired, but the first shot would have killed him before he killed me

Edited by dwalin
  • Like 1

• Registered Users

Hello all,

An interesting issue and undoubtedly there IS something going on.

However I suspect the claims that it only happens when the target is in the "hit" position is potentially spurious and distracting from what ever the issue actually is.

Consider this. How often do you hit the fire button when a target isn't in the "hit" position. If you are like me then probably not all that often at all as it wastes ammunition and lets the enemy know where you are. We could be looking at the keyboard/UI system getting hung up on multiple keystrokes/inputs. Or as has been pointed out the key repetition may be set too high and is flooding the the relevant system to the point of incapacity.

Unfortunately what is needed is a methodology that can be reliably repeated and always (pretty well) causes the issue in question to occur.

I am not in any way shape or form suggesting there isn't something going on at all. I am suggesting is it may be unrelated to the target being in the "hit" position. This is defiantly a point where you will undoubtedly notice the misbehavior instantly. It may be happening quietly all the time but goes unnoticed until:

21 hours ago, dwalin said:

Had no problems shooting at him prior to that moment, missed one shot while he was running.  Then he stopped, my aim went right on him, I pushed the mouse and nothing.  Pushed it again as I died and it fired, but the first shot would have killed him before he killed me

There is also the possibility that what has been suggested is actually happening, so it should not be discounted either. It shouldn't be the "Main" or "Only" focus however.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to add that I had this happen again two nights ago. This time I was flying a 190, was firing both cannon and mgs (set up to two different buttons on my joy stick) and the mgs just stopped firing after a good burst and still holding the trigger down, but the cannon kept firing. Let go of the mg button and then pressed it again and the mg's began firing once more all the while the cannons were still shooting and did not have this issue.

Happened to me once more as well - and yes. - as infantry with a rifle I can tell that it is happening when I'm confident the target is going to get a bullet.  Also happened once more with satchel, just not placing.

The "hit" area thing may not be the issue but for me as INF it seems strikingly obvious it only happens then. Like with standing in front of a opel driver etc etc.

But for me it seems to be quite rare now. It used to happen every few minutes (with targets in sights)

1 minute ago, papagaeio said:

Happened to me once more as well - and yes. - as infantry with a rifle I can tell that it is happening when I'm confident the target is going to get a bullet.  Also happened once more with satchel, just not placing.

The "hit" area thing may not be the issue but for me as INF it seems strikingly obvious it only happens then. Like with standing in front of a opel driver etc etc.

But for me it seems to be quite rare now. It used to happen every few minutes (with targets in sights)

and obviously I am still frequently HITTING targets as well! That would be insane if I literally couldn't shoot at players at all. 
But it seems to never occur when I'm letting off "lucky shots" or trying and missing a running target. It's when I am fully lined up.

• 6 months later...

This is still happening (or happening again. I feel it's not been as big a problem since the last post until a week or so ago).
And it still is very much when I am "on target". Placing satchels on an fms, I often (not always) have to go prone then up again before it will fix on. Otherwise I am just pushing it back and forth in the air no matter how close i am to the fms.
So i can be waving it around. Go prone. Stand to be in the exact same spot, and it will latch on.
Also works if I switch to rifle, fire a shot, then go back to satchel (no changing to prone).

The other time it happens is firing a rifle. As I said in previous posts - it's very much when "on target" especially when I am holding a gun to the face of an opel driver and it simply will not fire.
This happened yesterday after chasing one down. Stood at the window and held the rifle up to his head, but couldn't fire. Like I'd suddenly developed a conscience and war just wasn't for me.
It's so frustrating I had a little drama and accidentally reloaded my rifle then selected a nade then got back to rifle and it worked. several shots to the head, but he'd already dropped an efms by that point. Like I'd allowed him to do so. 

Point is - sometimes guns don't work and they DEFINITELY only don't work when I am either bang on target from a distance (you'll have to trust me on that) or right up close where I am very obviously bang on target. If there were an occasional glitch where a gun jammed, that's fine. But not exclusively when I have a gun to someone's head or a satchel to place. 

Wondering if some of these issues people are reporting are happening when they are in the middle of crouching/proning/getting up. If you keep firing and go crouch or prone, it stops your firing. Also occurs if you start firing when you're getting up. This sometimes 'locks' your weapon for the duration. 

Doesn't explain the issue while flying though. 

Edited by gretnine

When I'm approaching an efms with satchel I'm usually sprinting over a distance with satchel ready. Rarely sneaking. And with the opel driver, I ran, pausing to shoot, then ran and stopped in front of him. No change in posture. Changing position/weapon/ opening map are things that snap me out of the frozen firing. And the mouse button is working, because the satchel MOVES forward and back, just doesn't latch on. With the rifle there's no trigger pull sound so it just doesn't fire.

Did you go through the failure drill? Remember SPORTS:

Slap

Pull

Observe

Release

Tap

Squeeze

That should work. If not it may be a bigger issue and you need to break down the rifle and see if something else is the issue. How often are you cleaning your weapon in game? That could be contributing to the issue. 

If you are still having issues, try cleaning out underneath your left mouse button, that has caused this issue for me at times. 

This is not just ground units that do this. Aircraft get the same bug. Though Ive gotten it alot less often since going allied this map. Before when in the 109 it was every other time a guy is in my gunsight pull the trigger ,, nothing, Then as soon as he is out of the gun sight pull the trigger again guns fire fine. Its annoying as hell. Ive been dot bugging this for at least 5 years.  

• Like 1

happens with plane sometimes for me (joystick)

happens with inf for me when shooting, mostly only notice it happening with auto guns. Is annoying but usually a once or twice a day occurence so not too awful. No posture change. I know it happens on posture changes as well.

Havent noticed it when using 232 and I use it a ton. (Mouse+kb master race for ground vehicles)

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

I should experiment offline or something. But might not be worth my time if it doesn't happen. Seems VERY odd that you can just stand there in an open space and fire your gun in the sky, at a bush, at friendlies (as is oft the greentag way) but as soon as it is pointed directly at an enemy it stops functioning.

I know some of those reading this who don't seem to experience it don't believe it only happens when we're on target, but to those of us who get this issue - it seems clearly part of it. I never get it when just firing sloppily at an area. It's always at a "OH **** NOT NOW* like waiting for a player to come round a corner, or getting your sights perfectly lined up on a driver and nothing happens. 

And nobody seems to have a clue why it's happening.

I dont think it'd provide any useful info though unless it was monitored via a dev tool to see what happened during the hiccup. Only thing you could test to verify is if it only happens when pointed at a target.

Edited by lovewing
  • Like 1

I had this happening to me quite often in the past too. So I did do some testing on my own and fired my guns randomly very often while RTBing while no enemy was nearby.

It turned out it happened then every once in a while too.

So I got me a new joystick the other day and did not run into this issue at all since then anymore.

Not saying there is no bug at all. But some of the reports might come from worn out equipment like mine.

!S

Cooper

• Like 1