Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Smartheap Error

mozirry

Rafter is getting an out of memory error on his POS rig. I've asked him to look at settings too. Again, if we can find which setting it is we can fix it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOPHUR

• AHWULF

• mozirry

• leanderj

ATI Card settings (4850)

ATI Catalyst version 08.11

core clock 680 mhz (stock)

memory clock 1050 mhz (stock)

3d settings

-standard settings (Check use custom settings)

-anti-aliasing (check use application settings)

-adaptive anti-aliasing (do not enable)

-AF (Use application settings)

-Catalyst AI (Disable)

-MipMap detail (Quality)

-Wait for vertical refresh, (off unless application specifices)

----------------

WWIIOL Preferences (shortcut)

Language: English

COnnection: Use Best

Video Card: HD 4800 series

Resolution ; 1680x1050x32

Sound Card : SB Audigy Audio [8000]

Run SSE2 exec. ; checked yes

----------------

WWIIOL In game settings

Game\Application

: Network Route: Use Best

Visible Player Limit : High

Language : English

SSE2 Extensions : Enabled

Use NETCODE2 Beta: Disabled

Bad language filter: Enabled (Or disabled =p )

Video System

visual settings

:dithering - enabled

:specular - enabled

: texture reduction: disabled

: supress tracer smoke : disabled

:suppress muzzle smoke: disabled

:suppress muzzle light ; disabled

:limit FOV changes : disabled

:Limit LOD Changes : disabled

Clutter : Enabled

:Density- Extreme MAX

; Radius : extreme FAR

Shader settings:

normal maps: enabled

grass shaders: enabled

post render filter: disabled

water shaders: disabled

shadows: enabled

Sound SYstem:

sound card- SB Audigy Audio 8000

Sound System - hardware

max sounds; 128

ambient osunds: frequent

alerts : disabled

music : enabled

sound fx max

music max

User interface

font size 11

tooltips enabled (SO THIS IS WHERE I DISABLE IT LOL)

squad invites enabled

I have followed your post to a "T". I'll give it a shot tonight. Even if it's better, I can live with that. I logged off last night after numerous smartheap errors. I have also noticed that I get the error when a good scrap is going to happen...or durring. TY for posting your settings.

Played six hours last night, only two crashes. Both were Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime error, C:progra/~1/CRS/BATTLE~1/WW2_SSE2.exe

At 4:00 a.m. I did'nt go through the logging again and getting red locks and relogging all over again. I called it a night.

On the upside I did'nt get the smart heap every 30 minutes.

Hi,

I too have the stutter/memory problems when running the game.

Machine spec is :

Dual core Intel, Toshiba laptop with twin Nvidia G8600 SLI.

Vista Home Premium with latest patches/packs

No Firewall or AV

3Gbytes ram

2x160 Gbyte HD

Latest NVidia drivers

USB Logitech Mouse

Only other app running was team speak

This evening I did a bit of testing by running task manager and watching various system performance parameters.

For my personal case, when the game is running, my machine is writing to swap at a pretty constant 1 MByte per second (as shown by the performance app). Outside of the game this does not occur. This occurs even though there is plenty of ram available for use.

Memory use (RAM) for the game stayed pretty constant at about 1.44 GBytes, memory footprint a little less at about 1.2 GBytes, (I'm guessing the 1.44 includes shared dlls'?).

As I played I watched the amount of swap used slowly creep up to about 4.5 Gbytes before I exited the game (about 45 mins later). On exit all but 900 Mbytes was released with this value falling slowly over time. On restarting the game, used swap immediately jumped to 1.3 GBytes and started to climb again, I watched it get to about 2GBytes before exiting the game.

Can't be sure but the writing to swap seemed to increase during heavy air presence, I was in town with a few aircraft overhead and at times the swap seemed to be increasing by 10MBytes a second.

When the game stutters (ie: frame rate drops to 1-5fps for me for between 2-6 seconds) there seems to be no extra activity occuring with the computer. I mean that there are no unusual page swaps, high disk writes, network activity etc, all the graphs look exactly the same as when the game works normally (but the graphs do stop updating during the time the stutter happens).

For me, when the game stutters, team speak stutters too. I hear the same fragment of audio repeated for the length of time that the game slows. The thing I find odd though is that there is no lost audio once things start flowing again, the team speak audio picks up at the correct point and I don't lose any conversation. While team speak is stuttering game audio is not affected, just frame rate.

Also if the game stalls for me I sometimes get 'stuck keys' where if I was moving at the time it stuttered I will continue moving in that direction (even if I press other keys), I then have to bash lots of keys (ie: move back,forward, left, right) a few times to make it stop.

Another thing is that capture messages don't appear after some time (when this happens I generally know its going to close soon). The icon moves down the screen but no message appears.

Anyway, that's about it, not a whine just information.

Wheel.

• 1 month later...

I have gotten the smartheap error today for the first time in six years. Nothings changed except that I re-installed the OS today. Completely fresh Vista install and then this started happening. Not once and now five times in an hour...

Settings, system and hardware identical to how they were before...

//G

im getting this error alot the past couple of days.

and actually its a windows problem, because there are many different programs that people use that get the exactly same problem.

for me it doesent matter if im in offline mode or live mode, i still get the out of memory error.

what i tried last night, was i ran the ww2_x86.exe and got the out of memory error in offline mode.

Then i went and tried the ww2.exe and i didnt get the out of memory error.

ok to add to my post.

i played around with my settings a bit today and i found that i turned off radar and i wasnt getting the error anymore. so it might be something wth that but im not totally sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this the first time you have customized your system settings? There could be a correlation between some "tweaks".
This might be something.

I had my comp built buy the store that I got the parts from and they set the whole thing up but... I had to reformat to get rid of malware and since then I've been getting this error.

Also, the last time I updated my NVidia drivers pre-reformat was some time in June or May, I'm now using the one from July 21st.

Edited by beastro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im getting same errors since new patch. No changes in settings and no way is somthing with my hardware. I only use the PC for gaming and nothing else. Dotn be a smart *** and say your on this site right now. Im not Im on couch with laptop beiging lazy = o

Ok, well i have bought a new rig, and installed only wwiionline, went into game and after just 10 secs (barely made it out of the AB and looked around :P) this error occurs.

System :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.66 GHz ( 1333 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 6 MB (2 x 3MB)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME - Motherboard - ATX - iP45 - LGA775 Socket

Gigabyte GV R487X2-2GH-B - Graphic card - 2 GPU's - Radeon HD 4870 X2 - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 2 GB GDDR5

(2x) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel Kit - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 - 1200 MHz / PC2-9600

Winxp+sp3

WWiionline :

Only checked use best quality, havent done any changes further. Resolution 1280 X 1024.

Edited by leanderj

"(2x) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel Kit - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 - 1200 MHz / PC2-9600"

"Only" 2GB will compound the issue with virtual memory running out (which is why the smartheap error occurs).

Buying more RAM (to 4GB) will lessen the amount of smartheap errors you get (but even with 4GB, it won't stop them completely).

(Hopefully) 1.31 fixes this issue (it seems nothing else will).

"(2x) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel Kit - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 - 1200 MHz / PC2-9600"

"Only" 2GB will compound the issue with virtual memory running out (which is why the smartheap error occurs).

Buying more RAM (to 4GB) will lessen the amount of smartheap errors you get (but even with 4GB, it won't stop them completely).

(Hopefully) 1.31 fixes this issue (it seems nothing else will).

Thats why it says (2x) so 2x 2x 1 = 4 gig.. but i have another system wich has only 1 gig and i never have that problem on it (its a laptop -also xp+sp3- but vid card is bit outdated so fps = around 15) so buying more memory is not the solution...

Ok, well i have bought a new rig, and installed only wwiionline, went into game and after just 10 secs (barely made it out of the AB and looked around :P) this error occurs.

System :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.66 GHz ( 1333 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 6 MB (2 x 3MB)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME - Motherboard - ATX - iP45 - LGA775 Socket

Gigabyte GV R487X2-2GH-B - Graphic card - 2 GPU's - Radeon HD 4870 X2 - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 2 GB GDDR5

(2x) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel Kit - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 - 1200 MHz / PC2-9600

Winxp+sp3

WWiionline :

Only checked use best quality, havent done any changes further. Resolution 1280 X 1024.

For some people lowering the resolution has helped. What I can't figure out is why you got the smartheap error so quickly. Having two video cards is unusual.

OK, please download Process Explorer from Microsoft, and at the point of seeing the smartheap error, go to PE and write down the memory values, especially the Virtual Memory Size, for the game. Don't use Task Manager, its useless. Post the results here or send them to my name @ playnet.com

Aloha!

Well its only 1 vid card (but its huge i admit :P) ;)

Found out that if i dont change any settings for the vidcard (so no fancy 3d stuff etc..) then i can play longer but eventually i do get the error :(

Also what strikes me is that ingame all my weapons have a glow on it, and on ets i can see the weels as a white dot when im far from them... also for some reason sometimes the letters do not show on the buttons and in the text window (for example enter world is showing as en e wo ld)

Also tried different resolutions but that does not solve the problems.

When i get home i will download it and post it asap. Thnx for replying btw ;)

Aloha!

Found out that if i dont change any settings for the vidcard (so no fancy 3d stuff etc..) then i can play longer but eventually i do get the error :(

Also what strikes me is that ingame all my weapons have a glow on it, and on ets i can see the weels as a white dot when im far from them... also for some reason sometimes the letters do not show on the buttons and in the text window (for example enter world is showing as en e wo ld)

Can you take a screenshot of the odd graphics glow? Are all the shaders on (ingame Settings)? Generally odd graphics glitches are video drivers and the game's shaders not quite agreeing on things. 1.31 has new shaders so it may fix some of these.

Yeah try Process Explorer and note the memory values (1)right after you get to the first screen (2) right after you spawn in (3) when you get the smartheap error. That would be a big help.

Ok what i have done is set my vid card on default settings. Then ingame i have clicked the button of best quality (all shader settings are enabled).

Entered the game.. not so glowy (but still have it) and was able not to crash immediately but when i capped a cp.. wham error... :rolleyes:

Made 2 screenies

Nr 1 has a glow around the names and rank

Nr 2 has tha glow on the lmg wich i also never had before, its visible on the tripod legs.. in the dark its even beter noticable .. but it wasnt dark ingame yet so... :P

(original screens in BMP format)

http://jager.ath.cx/bge/probs/SShot1.bmp

http://jager.ath.cx/bge/probs/SShot2.bmp

Ok im bit confused on the 1)right after you get to the first screen (you mean the minute im in windows or when i get the loading screen when i hit play button ?

Also which one of the values do you need i see top right 4 boxes and the middle ones are i think the mem usage.. but im not sure.. can u give me some info on that plz ?

Thnx again for your help!

Edited by leanderj

Launch game in playnet and record values as soon as the loading bar is done and you see the first UI screen. Basically I want to see what the numbers are right after loading but before you spawn into the game, then at the point right after you spawned into the gameworld, and finally at the point where the smartheap error appears.

In PE, select the game from the process list, select the Process Menu and pick Properties... this brings up a new window. CHoose the Performance tab. Write down Virtual Size and Working Set. Get these values for the three points I mentioned above.

Generally you get the smartheap error when the Virtual Size hits 2GB.

The glow you are seeing is just the Post-Render Filter. Turn it off and things will look normal (some people like the fuzzy effect, not me!).

Post render filter? right.. ill look it up (its an ingame setting i bet?) cozz it drives me nuts...

Rgr will do. (as soon as i have time.. weekend begins.. got some things that needs to be done)

Well did not change the filter .. and wrote down the stuff..

Virt size

After loading : 89.888 / Spawning in : 1.317.900 / Error : 1.633.496

Working set

After loading : 997.868 / Spawning in : 114.862 / Error : 1.385.064

Also i notice when im alt-tabbing for writing down values.. whole system freezes and then boots... or ingame i now also ctd but not giving me an error.. but around the same values are there sometimes a bit more.. sometimes a bit less...

Hmm, those numbers aren't consistent. I'll make a screenshot of what I think I told you :-). Maybe taking screenshots would be better, if the game doesn't ctd in the process.

If the smartheap OOM error occurs and the virtual size is *not* 2GB, then there are two problems occurring and I've only found one of them. Ugh. It means both of my scenarios are possible (1) VM fragmentation [i know how to fix this] (2) random number allocation [this is a single bug one can't find except when it happens].

Both values generally go up over time load < spawn < OOM

If you can verify you got the smartheap error with a virtual size of less than 2GB, that's really important.

ss.jpg

Looking at screenie.. yep, those are the numbers wich i have written down, sorry cant make it differently.

(meanwhile i have been experimenting myself.. and yesterday i was able to be online for 30 mins without a scratch... what i did was uncheck he run SSE2 Executable, and i disabled the no frame run ahead and the vertical syncing. Also the post render thingie.. wich now i dont have any glow .. thnx for that tip :D)