Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback - Lowered fps in 1.33

Fabao

FPS spikes.Is this normal?Empty FB looking at trees,my FPS fluctuates between 52-72/57-63-78

Looking at sky(overcast),FPS goes 98-133-145,98-152.

FPS nevers stays constant in a small range.What happens also,is a small "hickup"infantry does

when these spikes get larger.

Ever since these patches,FPS is on a constant increace/decrease by 10-30-40 FPS,just doing nothing,standing still,imobile.

Win7

Quad intel CPU

8 Gig RAM

GTX-260 with 270.51 drivers

S!

Speed

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOPHUR

• AHWULF

• geckopow

• expatpom

FPS spikes.Is this normal?Empty FB looking at trees,my FPS fluctuates between 52-72/57-63-78

Looking at sky(overcast),FPS goes 98-133-145,98-152.

Yes thats normal, you're looking at around 5ms fluctuating per frame for the first and like 2 for the second. Basically anything happening in the OS will cause minor changes from frame to frame.

If it was 30 to 12 then back to 30, thats an issue. Always compare FPS by doing 1000/fps which gets you milliseconds per frame.

Yeah AMD Cpu' date=' still worried about difference in FPS though, very playable with HUD Off, can get quite nasty with HUD On, why would the HUD cause such issues?[/quote']

Something in the HUD updating is terribly optimized by the Intel compiler on AMD processors. We are strongly considering going back to the Microsoft compiler but changing compilers is not a simple task (witness 1.33.1 vs 1.33.2) as something else might break so it needs a lot of testing.

On Mac I haven't switch GCC compiler versions in ages and none of these issues are present.

* A compiler is the tool that converts source code into machine code. If it works well you get nice fast machine code, if it has a bug you might get broken code or really unoptimal code, all with the same source code.

just thought ide throw this in there.

i was on training server doing some gunnery practice with friends, 3 of us in 109's and 2 in spits. 60 - 70 fps until a spit and a 109 collided the explosion took my fps down to 10 and stayed that way until the wreckage disappeared.

this wasnt an issue pre 1.33

Im at a loss. the air game is almost unplayabe for me.

Talked to you before and turned a ticket in.

Flew today, not even over a town, and here comes the screen freezes.

lining up a shot, screen freezes, (while screen is frozen i hear a plink) and when my screen unfreezes, ive recieved a headshot from someone.

again, i have more than enough ram left (8gb)

video card is fine, dunno what to do.

Is there gonna be a fix any year soon?

evil

I'm still guessing audio drivers or AMD are the likely culprits. Can you all with troubles list AMD/Intel and AudioCard/Driver? Something has to be common. I never see this on my Mac which of course is always Intel and uses the OSX sound. The most common differences between the mac and pc versions are (1) pc can have AMD (2) sound hardware and drivers vary a lot. Although video drivers can also be quite different (in quality) they rarely cause complete freezes.

Remember the entire sound implementation for PC changed in 1.33 to the more modern Microsoft XAudio.

I'd say neither.

WinXP

Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.0Ghz

4Gb DDR2 @ 1066

On Board Sound

GeForce GTX 260 768MB @ 1680x1050

Game Setting = Performance

Random scene fps hud on/off:

136/87

At benchremagen hud on/off:

69/85

Not particularly dramatic on my machine.

Let's try my other one.

Win7

Core i3 540 @ 3.2Ghz

8GB DDR3 @ 1333

On Board Sound*

Radeon HD5850 @ 3840 x 1024

Game Settings = Quality

benchremagen hud on/off

48/52

I'd ask anyone experiencing FPS issues to please put the following in EACh post.

OS

CPU

RAM

GPU

Resolution

Preferences (Performance/Balanced/Quality)

remagen fps on/off:

infantry fps on/off:

FPS test guidelines:

• at unit select type .benchremagen
  • enterworld and record fps
  • hit y to turn off hud and record fps
  • y to turn on hud
  • type .benchinfantry and record fps

I'd ask anyone experiencing FPS issues to please put the following in EACh post.

OS

CPU

RAM

GPU

Resolution

Preferences (Performance/Balanced/Quality)

remagen fps on/off:

infantry fps on/off:

FPS test guidelines:

• at unit select type .benchremagen

• enterworld and record fps

• y to turn on hud

• type .benchinfantry and record fps

will do when i get off work in the am.

I really hope this gets fixed soon. Ive had alot of fun playin this game, made some great friends, but its not fun for my friends and i when this keeps happening.

evil

Windows 7 64-bit

Amd Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Nvidia 9800GT

4Gb RAM

1680x1050

Performance

Remagen :

48 WITH HUD

59 WITHOUT HUD

benchinfantry

28 WITH HUD

34 WITHOUT HUD

It's worth mentioning that these FPS are way what I have been getting in the game. I'm lucky to see 20 most of the time on the ground, drops to about 12 in heavy battles.

My audio is the on-board audio, some realtek thing I think using windows 7's default drivers. Going to download the drivers from MSI's website for the audio to see if it has any impact.

Up to date drivers from realtek made no difference to my FPS, though I can now hear my own gun firing :D

Edited by timc

Would it be possible to build a test client identical to the current live client but compiled with the Microsoft compiler for a comparison?

Maybe limit it to the beta server, that way any oddness such as falling through the earth when you switched to the Intel compiler wouldn't matter so much.

Worth a go if it wouldn't take long :)

Yes. We'll be trying out several for 1.34. But it would be good to release them as 1.33 test clients as well.

Yes. We'll be trying out several for 1.34. But it would be good to release them as 1.33 test clients as well.

Thank you for the good news. I am sure you are all doing what you can to improve performance.

Any improvements cannot come fast enough for me - my sortie count has dropped by a factor of 10. To be fair, the screenshots I posted of 6 and 7FPS are (thankfully) not the norm, but rather happen only in low-cloud (1km) and sometimes rain, and near airfields; the less than 20FPS happens everywhere though. Dunno if that helps, but if you pass on instructions I'll try to do what I can to be more constructive.

Thanks for keepin' on pluggin' away at this.

• Registered Users

I'm curious as to how many are useing vertical sync?

If useing it, forced on the vid card or set to "application controled" and then ticked on in the BE preferances?

I'm curious as to how many are useing vertical sync?

If useing it, forced on the vid card or set to "application controled" and then ticked on in the BE preferances?

I don't use that never. Enven in other games.

I don't use that never. Enven in other games.

You should always use vsync unless your fps is low. It avoids screen tearing. If you routinely get > 60 fps and have it off all you are doing is heating up the atmosphere and lessening the quality of the scene.

• Registered Users
You should always use vsync unless your fps is low. It avoids screen tearing. If you routinely get > 60 fps and have it off all you are doing is heating up the atmosphere and lessening the quality of the scene.

Ahwulf, the reason I asked.......if I benchremagen/benchinfantry with vsync off (vid properties and game preferances off) I get 64fps.

If I turn vsync on in my vid properties and in game preferances and benchinfantry I get 30fps.

Well latest patch i now get 30fps minimum, even in large battles, so something is good now! Still get a large drop in fps, when HUD is on, as in from 50-30, but negligible drop with map on now. No CTD's yet either...

Happy Bunny! :D

Ahwulf, the reason I asked.......if I benchremagen/benchinfantry with vsync off (vid properties and game preferances off) I get 64fps.

If I turn vsync on in my vid properties and in game preferances and benchinfantry I get 30fps.

Interesting as I get the same results. Without Vsync on I get around 120-140fps rate, but after reading about possible tearing I turned Vsync on to see if my picture would get better. I then went to 60fps as it should, but would dip down to a low of 40fps at times.

Basically on my worst day (just flying) with Vsync off I would never go below 100fps, but with it on it could drop down to 40fps. Seems odd doesn't it?

WIth vsync on you will never get more than 60, thats the point, it locks the update of the display to the display's update rate. If for some reason the time for a frame goes beyond 1/60th of a second then the update will occur at the next 1/60th of a second. So the average rate (which is what you are seeing in the FPS display, it is smoothed) will be less than 60. It's a consequence of the how we smooth the FPS that with vsync on, the number is less representative of how long each frame is taking, but includes the waiting for vsync to occur.

Basically if your FPS is generally 40-60+ then you should have vsync on. If you FPS is generally below 30 then probably turn vsync off. The trade off is better FPS vs quality of display.

vsync off, FPS = 1 / average frame time * 1000

vsync on - FPS = 1 / (average frame time+average wait for sync) * 1000

You gain no real benefit for FPS > 60 other than psychological. I leave vsync on all the time even when running in debug mode, unless I am doing performance testing.

yes any update would be appreciated.

my system

Windows XP home

Geforce GTX275 (266.58)

CPU AMD Phen. II X4 955

Remagen 22 fps

Infantry 17 fps

in game i am getting 5fps :-(

What happened with 1.33.4? I have significantly lower fps than with earlier 1.33 versions.

.benchremagen 23

.benchinfantry 7

Values from earlier versions:

.benchremagen: 62fps

.benchinfantry: 25-27fps

I forgot to add the system specs:

• Intel Core2 8400@3.0GHz

• 4GB RAM

• Geforce N250GTS

• Windows 7

• nVidia driver 270.61 (WHQL)