Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback - Extreme FPS Loss through binocs #3782

Bacon55

When looking at distant trees and bushes my FPS drops from 80s Max everything to the mid 20s. Min everything from 110 to mid 30s.

The decrease in framerate increases as the distance goes up.

Close in with binocs FPS is much higher, farther out, much lower.

Is the game perhaps trying to process the entire gameworld from the radius the binoculars look to the level of detail it shows in the binoculars?

Edited by Bacon55

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bacon55

• GOPHUR

• hick

• ghostrider

Top Posters In This Topic

When looking at distant trees and bushes my FPS drops from 80s Max everything to the mid 20s. Min everything from 110 to mid 30s.

The decrease in framerate increases as the distance goes up.

Close in with binocs FPS is much higher, farther out, much lower.

Is the game perhaps trying to process the entire gameworld from the radius the binoculars look to the level of detail it shows in the binoculars?

Same deal here.

over 100fps without binos, about 30 or less with binos.

use the binos and look at the ground and it shoots up well above 300fps.

look back at some bushes and it craps its pants.

I tested this and it appears to be associated with looking at the new trees through binocs or any zoomed scope.

If i look at the sky or water with binocs my fps is about 70-80 but if i look off in the distance it tries to render too many trees and my FPS drops to 10 and its not just with binocs; gunsights that zoom in far like tanks and atgs have the same problem. I also tested this around land that doesnt have any trees and the FPS drop is not as severe.

Here are two different SS taken side by side: first 1 with almost no trees in view....second 1 --panned over slightly to the right with more trees in view

binocs1.jpg

binocs2.jpg

Edited by ghostrider

I believe this issue existed before 1.31, however it is worth noting in case they can correct for it in the new version.

I believe this issue existed before 1.31' date=' however it is worth noting in case they can correct for it in the new version.[/quote']

Apparently this doesn't happen for everyone either, which seems strange.

I have a hunch that it's because zooming with binocs, tank sights or other scopes override LOD on trees. I get it the worst when looking at a forest through binoculars at all the thousands of branch sprites.

I have a hunch that it's because zooming with binocs' date=' tank sights or other scopes override LOD on trees. I get it the worst when looking at a forest through binoculars at all the thousands of branch sprites.[/quote']

Yep I think this is right

just like to add that i was gettin suffering from low fps last night as well, especially when usin binos and lookin in the direction of bushes/trees.

it was only a small battle last night but my fps was droppin as low as 15 at some moments. didnt have any crashes though for the 20 mins or so i played, unlike the night before.

im sure there will be a lot more optimizations made as the beta progresses.

win 7 64 bit

core2 3.2ghz

geeforce 260 1gb

4gb ram

Funny thing is I tried it in Beta today and noted the fps and the fps actually seemed to increase by 4 or 5 with Binos. Strange. I'm using Radeon 5870 with 10.1 drivers for win 7 64bit.

GTX 260 216 896mb (2 in SLI)

Core i7 920

9Gb RAM

196.21 Nvidia drivers.

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (DX11)

Edited by Bacon55

I just went and tested offline.

When I look at the treeline N of the inf spawn, my fps goes from 120 (no vsync), to 20 looking through the binocs at the trees. With Vsync it goes from 80 to 20.

Installed the latest DX 9.0c version, no change.

On Wed night test, i suffered bad FPS throughout, normally get 40 in a town and was down to 15-25 last night in battles, when it went quiet it went back up to about 30 max...not a good sign :(

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 235e Processor (2713 MHz)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce GT 220

Driver version: 196.21

Memory interface: 128-bit

Total available graphics memory: 3839 MB

Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 2815 MB

Bus: PCI Express x16

TripleHead2Go @ 2400x600

Single digits when I look at a forrest thru binoc/scope/gunsight

Posting on this before but wanted to add a video

When the video starts you can see my FPS at 60+ but as soon as i turn on Fraps my fps drops to about 25 then when i pan down to a section of the forest near the test track it goes to about 6 or 7 fps. Testing this before recording it with fraps it would go straight from 60-90 FPS to 6-10 FPS. I'd like to add that this was with graphics settings set to best performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtk5DNNOdc4

Current specs:

e8500 core 2 duo

4gbs ram

8800GTS (latest drivers)

edit: i fail at embedding

Edited by ghostrider

Don't know if it's of any value but I'm not seeing this. Either no change in FPS or an increase instead.

HD5770 with CCC 10.2

I also had a drop from 40 to 12 when I looked northwest at a distant forest during the infantry test yesterday, I was at the bridge at Nijmagen looking northward of the docks toward that forest.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1