Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

NEED TEST - Floating Buildings (only for leet testers, tourists move on)

GOPHUR

Escoeuilles

-Floating building. The SE lumbres depot is floating.

-Floating building. 150m W of the AB icon, the new AB capture building is floating.

-Floating building. Very slight. The sign on the E end of the overpass road, under the lumbres depot icon.

-The sign at the S samers depot might be raised above the ground slightly. Barely noticeable, it might just be an optical illusion.

-Building on the west side of the S church might barely be off the ground, but I'm not sure.

-SW depot. A berm is majorly clipping into a flag building and a sign.

-A tree is growing inside of a depot building. There are also two other trees that have leaves clipping significantly into the building. A berm is also very slightly clipping into the concrete outcropping of the depot building, but is not visually a problem.

-W road, sandbag position being clipped by tall grass patches.

-Along the W-E Road, on the W side, there are many berms clipped into the terrain elevation in an unnatural way I've never seen before. But it's not necessarily a problem, it could even been seen as an improvement.

-N depot, the MG tower clipped by a berm.

Esch

-All of the pillboxes in this town have bushes clipping into their sandbags.

-At SW longwy depot, bushes clip into the depot building and a nearby building clips into the depot.

-At the SW fontoy depot, bushes clip into the depot building, and a nearby building barely clips into the depot's concrete outcropping.

-That building next to the SW depot is also clipped by a bush.

Erkelenz

-Floating building. E of the N depot icon, the factory building is floating.

-Floating building. S of the N depot icon, the building with the stone wall is floating. The whole building complex is tilted.

-Floating building. The AB capture building appears to be floating.

-Near the floating factory building in the N, SE of that are two buildings majorly clipped by a berm.

-E depot, tree leafs clipping into depot building.

-E church, berm majorly clipping into church.

-Along the S side of the AB, a huge berm is submerged in several buildings and the AB wall.

-S depot minorly clipped by bush.

Edited by ZeroAce

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• makrel

• hchris

• timmy41

• kylomylo

Vouziers - partially floating watch tower

-2 buildings clipping far into each other http://i41.tinypic.com/fpav0w.jpg

-city cp clipping into nearby building http://i39.tinypic.com/9irzbk.jpg

-couple buildings placed a bit too close to the road http://i40.tinypic.com/28kpq85.jpg

-depot too close? fence only clipping the shutters http://i42.tinypic.com/okv3fl.jpg

-watch tower partially floating because of sloped land http://i43.tinypic.com/33mbfxj.jpg

-ai pit clipping into rivers edge at docks

Verdun - floating buildings, several minor little bugs/glitches and partially floating/sunk objects

-Bush clipping south wall of west ab

-tree clipping sandbags east of west ab

-ruins south of west ab floating by a few centimeters

-warehouse near Clermont depot partially in ground, only noticeable by looking at the stairs

-few buildings near warehouse are partially sunken into the ground, barely noticeable, land probably sloped.

-watch tower clipped into clermont depot

-tree branches clipping into watch tower at south docks

-docks clipping through river edge

-Railroad station might be floating by a centimeter, barely noticeable

-3 buildings clipping into each other and might be clipping into the ground

-floating grass and bushes/tree in middle of road on east side of town http://i42.tinypic.com/a407lf.jpg

-more floating grass south east of sheep statue

-ab bunker of east ab might be floating by a centimeter

-a few tree branches going into buildings for the group of buildings called Notre Dame de verdun far north east of town

1.31.0.40:

Lille: The walls around Lille East Armybase are floating 0,5m or so above ground. I don't recall they did this in 1.31.0.38.

Wow, awesome work. Thanks to all, especially hchris.

- floating is primary I'll look at individual buildings, the rest we'll flatten the town

- clipping and berms and what not I'll make separate tickets for but way less priority.

I'll try go through this more fully later.

Btw is it just me or are a lot of the town layouts improved? Or is it the effect of the new buildings?

In whatever free time I could scrounge I rebuilt about 100 towns to improve them. Obviously with so many this was not all of them and equally obviously I tried to start with the worst ones I could find. There are still plenty that could use some love but I have to sleep occassionally :D

This will be an ongoing, catch as catch can basis.

This is not job for me, 1.31.0.40 have more floating objects then 1.31.0.39.

I was checked Philipville N AB walls for second time, .39 not floating, .40 floating.

Sorry, I am not robot.

Here is my result.

http://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1xkimBSkWgXJdst3U0Gb3q7Hb-mrmHss23xymyaRGACc&hl=en

or

http://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1xkimBSkWgXJdst3U0Gb3q7Hb-mrmHss23xymyaRGACc

I checked a few towns - seems like the AB walls are now raised everywhere, and AB cap buildings are still hanging in air slightly.

Checked Rocroi - No Floating Buildings Seen.

Was a slightly intrusive Bush in a spawn point:

28930_426110397993_773422993_5470533_3652596_n.jpg

Checked Rocroi - No Floating Buildings Seen.

Was a slightly intrusive Bush in a spawn point:

Are you sure? I logged in .40 in Rocroi. AB walls floating, so is AB cap building.

A lot of players seemed to miss them since they are only a inch off the ground.

A lot of players seemed to miss them since they are only a inch off the ground.

The walls have long foundations, which is a way of insuring parts of the wall are not floating on uneven terrain (WoW does this with mining nodes, which are, in fact, small mountains with tops sticking out). You can easily see the problem though by looking at the small gates at the AB entrances - they hang well in the air.

Edited by kylomylo

Are you sure? I logged in .40 in Rocroi. AB walls floating' date=' so is AB cap building.[/quote']

Are you testing offline or online?

Will check my version - this was offline. Last logged on to patch server Monday night, so assume I was patched up to .40.

I laid down at various points and ran around all buildings outside, including the AB to see if any floating was occuring. Nothign seen. What gives?

I will double check AB tonight.

Edited by Smythes

I checked a few towns - seems like the AB walls are now raised everywhere' date=' and AB cap buildings are still hanging in air slightly.[/quote']

I can confirm the AB walls floating (tested in three different towns that did not have it in .39).

I will hold back on further testing of towns until we have that confirmed as a singular bug and fixed.

Floating buildings (particularly ones like the AB wall which is a facility marker not a building in fact) are not global bugs but individual ones now, we fixed the previous global issues.

BUT (new caveat) -> If however, a bunch of AB's with walls (not all have walls as markers, some use the ceremonial cannon instead) are floating that weren't before, that definitely might be a new global bug, because that would indicate they are floating where the terrain under them is not sloped (why they didn't float before) and they are now floating for a different reason. This also indicates the problem is the wall object not the terrain. The fix is different if it's terrain and not the object in question that is bugged.

There are only a tiny number of towns that have this issue due to ground slope, which will be rectified as they are found. When it's a slope issue most of the buildings will exhibit anomalies wheras if it's just one building object that's generally the object itself.

So, if AB walls for example are floating now in towns where they weren't before, we definitely need to track that down as a new bug. That would indicate the walls are the issue not the terrain they are on.

Priority 1 is the flaoting issues and any "stick to terrain" placements that are buggy.

The next priority would be badly clipped buildings that are imbedded in other adjacent buildings where the clipping is apparent inside the building, external only instances of clipped buildings are not as high a priority. Stray or random bushes/trees clipped into buildings, where the vegetation object is part of an 800m x 800m octet placement (as opposed to single object trees for ecxample) are a lower priority again, since removal of vegetation over 800 sq. meters to fix one building clip is a bang versus buck deal in a lot of cases. Some buildings can be easily moved but linked supply ones not as readily, like the spawn building of a depot. Moving that one requires 4 times the number of changes because the linked town depot spawn building and the FBs on that link are both killed when you move one of those, and have to be replaced.

Bushes are never single placement and are often random placements that cannot even be seen to the editor in some cases as they are placed post bake-in and that's why we call them random. These are very hard to rectify because the editor is blind at the pre bake-in phase regarding those cases.

I hope this clears up the true nature of some decisions we make here. Terrain work is horribly time intensive and difficult to co-ordinate with client patches, so we do tend to prioritize to an extreme degree, given that we are not going to be able to fix every issue reported.

So, if AB walls for example are floating now in towns where they weren't before, we definitely need to track that down as a new bug. That would indicate the walls are the issue not the terrain they are on.

I can definately confirm this.

But good to hear that this bug might only be related to the AB walls (that indicates that testing this far has not been in vein).

No testing is ever in vain if the reporting is nicely analytical, which is why I try to clarify for you what some of this actually means, on our side.

Ijzendijke: NOT fixed floating/sunk building

AB walls floating, didn't find any other bugs.

Ipswich: no infantry spawns available, town looked ok though when viewed from FMB spawned at docks.

Jabbeke: fixed

Jarny: NOT fixed floating/sunk building

AB walls floating, also one berm clipping into a building:

http://forums.filefront.com/members/57213-mrfancypants-albums-fancy-s-album-picture7176-sshot15.jpg

Edit: Used version .40 for these two towns.

It would help a lot if you could provide a no-stamina command or a fast observer unit for these kinds of tests.

Edited by mrfancyp

Are you testing offline or online?

Will check my version - this was offline. Last logged on to patch server Monday night, so assume I was patched up to .40.

I laid down at various points and ran around all buildings outside, including the AB to see if any floating was occuring. Nothign seen. What gives?

I will double check AB tonight.

.40 offline, I'm sure.

Floating buildings (particularly ones like the AB wall which is a facility marker not a building in fact) are not global bugs but individual ones now, we fixed the previous global issues.

SNIP

I, for one, thank you for the gory details. I love it. I guess it can be safely assume by now there's a global problem with AB walls then.

I suppouse then there's a methodology fix that we need - only report AB walls that are raised by a wide margin.

I confirm that I used .40 tonight - it wasnt updated before and I concur that Rocroi now has a floating AB.

AFAIK it shouldn't matter - the AB walls thing was a global change, and building that are intersected in .39 are probably still that way in .40

Tilburg- Church in center of town clipping building (or should it be building is clipping. Religious buildings are never wrong. ;) )

East of that church some buildings are not visibly floating, but Inf on sidewalk float.

I noticed in the stress test last night that the south wall of the Unkel AB was floating a foot or two. I'm not sure if the ground slopes down from N to S or if something else was going on. I didn't check the E or W walls but I ran in from the N and didn't notice any problems on the N wall.

Also the back of the Vehicle spawn is clipped into the South wall of the AB.