Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback - Extreme FPS Loss through binocs #3782

Bacon55

ghostrider
no there will be little similarity due to comepletely different demands and criteria regarding what you render, how you render it, what collision and other vertices you are handling, how you are handling them, and the gross differences between the two game engines

comparing games in this manner, which share nothing much beyond 1, 0's and your perceptions based on visual cues, rarely nets you anything solid to base the comparison on other than what you think looks better or not

you could compare a ford thunderbird and a porsche cayman and base their similarities, or why you think they should be more similar than they are ... on the fact that they are both painted yellow with paint from the same manufacturer

wouldn't help the makers of either one to make them better cars on that basis, and remember that one of those cars was built before fuel injection, disc brakes, radial tires or alternators were standard production items ;)

true and i know that

but the average consumer or market audience probably doesn't care to much about the specific engineering details and processes each company uses to produce their vehicles. They all want features (performance, safety, 24in rims, etc) at the lowest price possible. If there are two cars at the same price and one has far superior features and design then its obviously going to win out.

while this game may have far superior features in many ways to others and your current subscribers may understand the trade-offs between massive battles, a seamless world, graphics and latency; the customers you are probably hoping to attract might not care. Again personal opinion here but I think that when they log into a game that is obviously graphically inferior to almost every other war game on the market today and on top of that their brand new gamer rig doesn't get over 30 fps looking at some trees but in the meantime they never get a hiccup in Crysis at max detail, they'll probably just log off and never come back. I don't think they realize or care that CRS is a small team working on an immensely complex and involving game. Customers judge a game by gameplay, graphics, sounds, presentation, replayability, community, story, etc but I'm guessing the amount of effort in development is low on that list. I spent some time with EA and we had many different development teams and platforms but we judged everything on the same basis and same standards. A show stopper is a show stopper, no excuses.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bacon55

• GOPHUR

• hick

• ghostrider

Top Posters In This Topic

no there will be little similarity due to comepletely different demands and criteria regarding what you render, how you render it, what collision and other vertices you are handling, how you are handling them, and the gross differences between the two game engines

comparing games in this manner, which share nothing much beyond 1, 0's and your perceptions based on visual cues, rarely nets you anything solid to base the comparison on other than what you think looks better or not

you could compare a ford thunderbird and a porsche cayman and base their similarities, or why you think they should be more similar than they are ... on the fact that they are both painted yellow with paint from the same manufacturer

wouldn't help the makers of either one to make them better cars on that basis, and remember that one of those cars was built before fuel injection, disc brakes, radial tires or alternators were standard production items ;)

Very true, however going from 10% GPU usage in 1.30 to 100% GPU usage in 1.31...well...something odd is going on under the hood.

.39 out yet for testing? Readme is up, can't find the .exe.

10 pages. Wow.

Fixed for 1.31.0.39. Please retest.

If this is true then as far as I am concerned you might as well release 1.31.

Fixed for 1.31.0.39. Please retest.

Fixed for me. :D

Fantastic.

Nvidia GeForce 285 GTX - 1024 MB ram

There is simply too much noise to signal ratio in this thread for it to be of much use. Please just tell me if it is fixed for you or not.

Got a lot of things on the plate here gents.

Thanks Denzin.

I'm closing the ticket pending anything useful. Note that some of the bushes are fubar in this version (on my nvidia), known issue and already fixed internal.

Now if we didnt get the massive fps loss when looking at empty towns that would cool as well. gj anyway

No change here but I'm not complaining since I've had massive fps increase with binos from the beginning.

Fixed for me!

Had major slow down (from 25-30 down to 10 FPS when looking at large clusters of trees).

In latest version (.39) FPS did not go lower than 20 looking at trees.

CPU: Athlon FX-57 @ 2,9 GHz

GPU: Nvidia 9600 GT 512 MB

Ram: 2 GB SDRAM

Edited by makrel

Symptoms better, but cause not fixed. I now drop to between 25-40FPS when looking through optics, but it's still loading my CPU and GPU to 98%. I am going to reinstall an old beta client and look at my system resources being used.

Edit: Reinstalled .18 and experienced the same overall FPS loss as I do with .39 (although average FPS and Peak FPS was around 15FPS lower overall than .39), however, the CPU was only loaded 56% while the GPU averaged around 68%, significantly less than .35 onward (when I started tracking CPU/GPU load due to the binocs issue)

I still see extrememe fps loss in today's test (5/12/10). 60 fps without binocs and 18-25fps with binocs. The drop is extrememe and sometimes unplayable. But mostly I can play through the slowness. At 18-25fps I can still pan smoothly even though the trees pan in a "choppy" or "laggy" manner.

geforce 9500 gt

I'm not seeing a loss in FPS in the short time i had to have a look but what i did notice what the bino movement was being a little jerky comparing it to when your looking at a view without many trees in.

Problem fixed for me, solid 30-40 FPS at max settings, 50-60 on low.

Sepcs: Intel E6750 runing at 3,2 Ghz, 8800 GT, nvidia 197.15 drivers, Win7 64bit.

Not fixed.

Radeon 5770- 10.4

Same symptoms as before, every time i get close to the tree my gpu kicks up a notch. Its those spindly bastards that really do me in.

Keep up the work, you guys will figure it out.

haughtkarl

So far everything seems fine now with GTX 280. No more dramatic drops when looking at densely cluttered trees with binocs.

Big improvement for me too.

Q9650/GTX 280/Win7 64 @ 1600x1200 max quality.

Offline a particular tree cluster went down constantly from around 80 to 25fps. Now its 45 fps :). Even when walking trooper about and trees are in the general background has resulted in a 10-15 fps boost.

During online beta I'm now approaching the same performance with 1.30, obviously depending on the intensity of action, with far nicer visuals. Well done !

Q6600 8800GT 3GB RAM Windows Vista

Best Performance:

Facing the tree cluster at training - 75-100 FPS

Zoomed in on tree cluster - 24-30 FPS

Zooming in and then turning 360 degrees slowly - 60-80 FPS

Flying - 120 FPS

Flying close to tree cluser looking at it - 60 FPS

Best Graphics:

Facing the tree cluster at training - 55 FPS

Zoomed in on tree cluster - 20 FPS

Zooming in and then turning 360 degrees slowly - 40 FPS

Flying - 60 FPS

Flying close to tree cluser looking at it - 30 FPS

FPS are very good and release-ready on my PC, but more tweaking would be advisable.

FIXED

I still see extrememe fps loss in today's test (5/12/10). 60 fps without binocs and 18-25fps with binocs. The drop is extrememe and sometimes unplayable. But mostly I can play through the slowness. At 18-25fps I can still pan smoothly even though the trees pan in a "choppy" or "laggy" manner.

geforce 9500 gt

Very odd. I run an 8800GT playing at 3840 x 1024 and I loose maybe 3 frames.

Are you CPU limited?

Are you CPU limited?

I'm most definitely CPU and GPU limited at this point, but shouldn't be as I'm above the minimum specs for the game. So the question is, what is causing the drain on available power? (Mind you, I run intensive 3D CAD and FEA all day long on this thing without a hitch, BE should be a nice leisurely break)

Are you CPU limited?

You see this is odd, I lose 20 frames with a GTX 260.

It's a lot better but it definable needs a wee bit of tweaking.

"minimum specs" (our use of the term) = can play, but far from ideal (expect problems)

Minimum specs does not measure any really "fun" measure of performance. Just what is possible at the loweset end, and all players would be advised to try and be well above that level of spec if at all possible.

Basically below minimum specs you cannot play the game at all, or if you can and have problems we cannot support you with a promise of any fix for you, since minimum specs in this case really means "game will run on this machine" but we don't mean it to say will run at all well.

not fixed in .39

specs:

i6850 core2 @3GHz on I35, 4 gb DDRIII 1,3GHz, nv 8800gts/512 1920x1080, winxp latest sp's and drivers.

so long slpr

When looking at distant trees and bushes my FPS drops from 80s Max everything to the mid 20s. Min everything from 110 to mid 30s.

The decrease in framerate increases as the distance goes up.

Close in with binocs FPS is much higher, farther out, much lower.

Is the game perhaps trying to process the entire gameworld from the radius the binoculars look to the level of detail it shows in the binoculars?

For me this problem is entirely fixed...for some reason I even get a boost in FPS when using binocs, even at the farthest distances...

Tested in 1.31.0.39

System specs if needed:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 5/29/2009, 21:28:58

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)

System Model: MS-7358

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM

Page File: 1351MB used, 5522MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 260

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_09A619F1&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2290 MB

Dedicated Memory: 883 MB

Shared Memory: 1407 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: PnP-Monitor (Standard)

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7824 (English)

DDI Version: 10

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/7/2008 14:33:00, 5963776 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-46A2-11CF-D164-AD2901C2CA35}

For me this problem is entirely fixed...for some reason I even get a boost in FPS when using binocs, even at the farthest distances...

Tested in 1.31.0.39

Ok this is messed, it must be my settings, or possibly some wierd 64 bit thing.

A boost in FPS makes a lot of sense, that's what used to happen before the OpenGL switch.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 5/14/2010, 16:03:48

Machine name: MIKE-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/24/09 17:30:57 Ver: 08.00.15

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.8GHz

Memory: 9216MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 9208MB RAM

Page File: 6393MB used, 12019MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 260

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_12573842&REV_A1

Display Memory: 4077 MB

Dedicated Memory: 877 MB

Shared Memory: 3199 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Monitor Id: SAM0467

Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9745 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.11.9745

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/3/2010 15:55:31, 11906664 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-46A2-11CF-E37D-5C321FC2C535}

Hold a sec, your driver is from 2008...I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Not sure I can find a driver that will work with Win7 x64 from 2008.

Also you have DX10 installed.

Edited by Bacon55