Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback - Extreme FPS Loss through binocs #3782

Bacon55

It really doesn't matter what we wish to be the case.

If you run the game at 320 x 240 you get no frame rate loss. This indicates a fill rate issue.

It happens on every card so that means it is a software not a hardware issue.

If you can enlist Nvidia to help you out here, they're pretty good about that sort of thing from what I've read. They have a whole program dedicated to problems like this.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bacon55

• GOPHUR

• hick

• ghostrider

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't matter what we wish to be the case.

If you run the game at 320 x 240 you get no frame rate loss. This indicates a fill rate issue.

It happens on every card so that means it is a software not a hardware issue.

So what do we do now?

Its unplayable even on my very decent Q6600+8800gt+3gb ram.

So what do we do now?

8800 is a bit dated, but all facts considered the standard isn't much higher than that.

Installed .37 and there's virtually no change. FPS plummets on my GTX 280 when looking at trees through zoomed optics.

I used to have this same problem pre-1.31, when I was still using a Radeon 9600. Now I have a 1 gig HD 4870 and in 1.31 it goes from ~90 to ~40 fps when viewing a forest w/binocs. Not bad.

Oddly enough, turning binocs on while in the forest only goes from ~80 to ~60.

You say results are similar to standing in a bush, but FPS remains the same or even improves if I go in one or use binocs on it.

I'll run this again tonight just to see if there are changes since .25.

Was pretty stable with my Quadro FX3600M.

I get the same problem with my ATI 4870 in both the beta and in 1.30. The problem only applies to some types of trees, frame rates will drop from 80-90 to 10-15. Other types of trees work just fine at any LOD.

What's your 4870's memory?

1gb. But as the problem only occurs with specific types of trees I don't think that it is a hardware problem.

So what do we do now?

Then something is quite wrong on your end. Not saying there aren't issues here, especially for lower end cards but I have a lesser machine than you and I play at a monstrous resolution and I hardly ever notice this issue.

Martini stil has a ticket for this and we've tried contacting SpeedTree about it but no luck yet.

I want to see this game at 320x240 :D

Oh man it is tough to click on the UI let alone do anything!

Well, finally got .37 d/l and installed.

Good news is I'm steady at 60 FPS throughout offline. The bad news is I now take a huge hit like everyone else to the teens when zooming in on large groups of trees.

Oh well.

Running 1280x800x32 on the quadro.

Well, now updated to .37 and I still have 30% higher FPS through binos than normal viewing looking at trees.

Looking north at Offline at the forest with binocs drops me from 60 vsync just looking normally to 24 close up with binocs.

Edited by Bacon55

Are the rats soliciting feedback on general performance yet or is it too early?

Cause I just downloaded the beta and the fps regularly dip below what I consider playable (sub 25) in offline mode with the performance option (low candy) settings. That's on a new PC that exceeds minimum specs.

Just some more feedback on the above machine (i5 770 / GT220):

I ran the same set of tests with .37 and it was a noticeable improvement over .36 but frames were still in the toilet when walking into bushes or looking through binocs etc.

I dumped the resolution in half to 1024 x 768 and, while it looks like arse on the full HD plasma (they don't handle non-native resolutions real well) the game is playable now with very good frames that rarely drop below 25fps (at least in offline). I'll see if I can increase the resolution a bit more and still get playable frames.

It's a relief anyway cause I use that PC as a second game client to multiplay with friends which means I only need to upgrade my old PC and not both to now to at least be in the game.

Cheers

I got in the offline version 1.31.34. Spawning in and looking @ the trees about 75 fps. With binocs 85 fps.

version 1.31.36 gives a better overal fps. 110fps looking @ trees and with binocs it`s more different than in 1.34. I got fps from 55-100 depending on the type of trees.

The upside of this (a bit of a stretch but sometimes you have to do what you have to do) is that while we are aware of the issue and we will do what we can when we can (as Gophur has indicated) .... you don't fight other players or manouevre while looking through binoculars. So while it is annoying it isn't as bad as it might otherwise be.

its not just binoculars its all scoped or ranged views....i.e sniper scope; tank main gun, ATG, etc.

can't use this equipment anymore, trying to hit a moving target with a sniper rifle that is moving in front of trees is next to impossible.

The upside of this (a bit of a stretch but sometimes you have to do what you have to do) is that while we are aware of the issue and we will do what we can when we can (as Gophur has indicated) .... you don't fight other players or manouevre while looking through binoculars. So while it is annoying it isn't as bad as it might otherwise be.

Try to play with a tank for a while.

Unplayable if there are forrest near something you are shooting.

ghostrider

maybe this will help illustrate the point slightly better...

i found a tree by itself...and got up real close so it should be the highest LOD

just looking at it, not down my scope in a regular brit rifle i get constant 60fps (v-sync on); as soon as i look down the scope, not change anything else except hitting the zoom key my FPS drops in half to a constant 30 fps!

Thats with 1 tree! I didnt observe an LOD change or anything, just an FPS drop, so i don't see how this is a graphics card fillrate problem.

fpsSS1.jpg

fpsSS2.jpg

maybe this will help illustrate the point slightly better...

i found a tree by itself...and got up real close so it should be the highest LOD

just looking at it, not down my scope in a regular brit rifle i get constant 60fps (v-sync on); as soon as i look down the scope, not change anything else except hitting the zoom key my FPS drops in half to a constant 30 fps!

Thats with 1 tree! I didnt observe an LOD change or anything, just an FPS drop, so i don't see how this is a graphics card fillrate problem.

fpsSS1.jpg

fpsSS2.jpg

Bingo.

This is some weird driver communication issue, fillrate on video cards doesn't explain this.

Which is all find and dandy as long as you are in a city, with no trees around. Running around the country side is currently a NO go.

But you guys are working on it, that's what matters.