Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Infantry lag kills issues in town #4669

matamor

Have to agree, this is a fun killing issue. Cant guard cp's at all, unless you move around in circles in hope that the ei ghosts will miss you. Or you catch a glimpse of an ie and think you have the drop on him - deathcam.

I have also noticed that I see muzzle flashes before I see the ei sometimes, but that is in town at longer distances, like across streets or a couple buildings over. Strange stuff.

I didnt have any of these issues pre 1.31

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOPHUR

• Lob12

• matamor

• delems

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is an exploit because if you run straight into a room you don't get this effect' date=' you just get good old lag but to get the effect I tried to record in the movie's above is caused by certain movements by the infantry and I feel some people have realised this and are exploiting it.[/quote']

I don't know what movements you mean. But if I run straight into a room, I get the drop on ei for certain. By about three seconds, it seems, and that isn't lag. I don't know what their ping is, but mine is usually between 60 and 70 milliseconds these days.

I hate doing it. I wonder if the player I shot is new and will just log off and delete the game in disgust. If I was starting the game right now, and kept getting killed by invisible enemies, I wouldn't stick around. Who wants to play to be someone's easy defenseless kill online?

Hell, I just won't spawn infantry. Let the whole town be capped. *grumbles*

- Weiker

I have been away from the game for a few monthes due to workload,now i found myself with time to play so i resubbed to get to back into this game i have fun and really love also check out the updates.

I soon got back into the fray as Inf and got my butt kicked alot the first few days especially in CP and bunker defence so i put it down to me being slow and rusty (never been an elite sharpshooter or will be heheh) but i started to notice even when i see a ei run into a doorway i have covered for example even tho it looks like i put half a mag of bullets into said ei i die and he runs off also i sometimes don't even see the ei come through the door but die before he appears now this just doesn't happen on the odd ocassion i find it happens just about all the time now which is getting a tad annoying.

I will continue to persevere in the hope it will get resolved or improved but not fun when all SEEMS unfair in battle.

You can't fix internet lag when you're playing with people from anywhere to west coast USA to Finland. New patch caused new lag for alot of people' date=' it's just something we're gonna have to deal with.[/quote']

We wouldn't have lag if this game occupied more cores.

This is something badly needed in this game and is bewildering since most games these days use 2.

In NO OTHER game that I have tried recently, is there ever any lag.

We wouldn't have lag if this game occupied more cores.

This is something badly needed in this game and is bewildering since most games these days use 2.

In NO OTHER game that I have tried recently, is there ever any lag.

Multi-threading would only increase your FPS, it wouldn't change the network lag at all.

Not sure how many times this has been said or that we have to keep saying this.... But, the network did not change from last version to this version. Infantry play (most specifically guarding in CPs or battling in CPs) has changed significantly. And by significant I mean very much, not 10%, more like 100%.

I have done an awful lot of guarding and I know it is way different now, so much so that I don't guard in CPs anymore except on rare occasions. Something is wrong and it is not the internet.

Yes. I won't be playing this game until this issue is addressed. Not that I'm boycotting, but simply that the state of the game has made doing other things much more interesting by contrast.

The fact that this is such an incredible game (all time classic in my book) only compounds the disappointment.

The thrill is gone - B. B. King

I must be playing a different game then the many of the people in this thread... I just recently resubscribed after being away for about a year or so. (Checking in occasionally) One of the first things I noticed is that the infantry game is way more playable then I remember it. It was always such a struggle in the past because of the laggy/warpy infantry. Just my perceptions.

I wouldn't say this is about 'THE infantry game' as you put it. Merely a slice of it (albeit an important one). In particular guarding cps/bunkers.

You'll notice that many of the names in this thread are regulars at defending towns. Sitting in cps/and bunkers often for hours at a time.

Speaking for myself I haven't experienced this outside of that scenario (or at least to a noticeable degree). As I've posted previously this comes and goes. It seems to happen most often when the side I'm on is heavily underpop, and when we're overpop I can play 8 hours and never see it once (sometimes only occasionally). Which is why it appears so difficult to pin down.

I can assure you we're not imagining this. The thread is packed with people who adore this game.

I admit I didn't notice this at all on the beta server before launch. Then in the following months only once in a great while (always while massively underpop). But within the last couple months or so (I'm guestimating) this has happened to me on a regular basis (as in every single time).

You're talking to defenders here who are quite accustomed to getting their heads blown off (it's in the job description) and moving right on with their game.

But when this happens day in and day out as it has become common it can wear on you until finally you realize 'What's the point of defending against invisible enemy?'. Because that's really what we're talking about here. We get shot and killed before seeing or hearing anything. At all.

Not some sniper you didn't see on the roof somewhere. The confirmation comes when the death animation plays and you see what happened to you 3-5 seconds ago.

Something is wrong. If we could put our finger on it and say 'This is why' I suspect we would all shout it from the mountain tops as that would help remedy the situation.

I would invite you to guard cps/and bunkers during a full assault on the town while underpop. Do this for a week or so and then come back here and post what you find out. If it never happens to you then perhaps you can help shed some light on this issue.

P.S. If you're only attacking cps and bunkers then you probably would think 'THE infantry game' is better than ever. Because you almost never loose.

Edited by trenchfoot

This reminds me of the problems we had back in v1.22 or v1.23. There was some fiddling done with the infantry "predictor" code done at that time. People were dieing before infantry entered the room. Also dying a second after you thought you were in cover, like running across the street and dying well after you entered a building to something that shot you while you were crossing.

Yeah, the change was 1.30 to 1.31, and there was no news about the laws of physics changing at that exact instant, so we know it's CRS' code, and nothing to do with ping, internet latency, etc.

They wanted smooth out the movement of avatars who would do the zig-zag dance, warping all over as they ran across a field.

So instead of having your computer's client game code take a players' x,y,z position packet plus direction/speed vector update and have your computer immediately render him at that spot and moving in that direction, (causing a warp if there was a significant change from the *previous* packet), they have your computer's client code smoothly transition that player from wherever your computer shows him to the new packet's info.

Which means if he changes direction and speed quickly, he will get into your closet while your computer is still in the process of making him move smoothly through the other room.

This is a problem only for infantry, because only infantry can change *relative* direction/speed (vector) fast enough to take advantage of the code's time-wasting movement smoothing.

We need more, more, more x,y,z/vector packets so our computers are rendering the other players with more specific points more often.

It's like drawing a curve using straight line segments. The more little end-points you define, the smoother the curve.

Currently the code looks at the latest x,y,z/vector info and says "How did he get to this point from the last one? Let me draw a nice path for that."

If you do that calculation a lot more often, you have a lot more fidelity with the player's position, and so you reduce lag.

lol i always think of this

-JPL-rEuc9o

JS, that's warping and thanks god that been fixed.

However, in replacement, we got a new bug with the predicator code as mentionned in youtube sequences that someone posted in that thread.

I went on the training server using 2 PC's, each with a ping of around 160, I was able to replicate the exact problem we are talking about in this thread, I managed to make a couple of videos, sorry about the very poor quality but I only had a very very cheap camera to record it on.

The problem is not actually lag it is to do with the predictor code, CRS should test this themselves and they will see what causes it.

In the first video I die and the camera switches to death cam before I even see my killer.

wyED8sBjbOo

In the 2nd I briefly see my attacker but die before I have a chance to kill him.

DYCTYSu9pMY

bump

Do rats even bother reading their own bug forum?!

Keeping us paying members in the dark by not giving us the decency of an answer of some sort just leaves a bitter taste.

Please rats, if you read these threads just give us a quick reply even if it's only an acknowledgement that you are trying to fix things.

Issue still there in 1.32.

70 fps, 104ms, I ran into vireaux cp a couple of time trying to clear it, ei was looking at stairs from 2nd floor from the common spot opening on the plain side door and my body felt off next to closet...

But, i hope its a good thing for us, infantry movements are smoother than 1.31 inside cp. If you aren't moving and waiting them, you see them coming and they are rendering.

Need people to test it.

n1ckm: we read everything but we don't sit around talking about it, too busy WORKING

we don't answer unless we have a real solid, will happen answer or a question we need answered. when there is progress or something of value to reveal we talk plenty

we're too busy for a coffee klutch

sometimes things take ages to reach such an answer and not because we're too busy playing darts at the local pub ... and until we have a real answer there is often no reason to talk about it, because even if you think otherwise, talking about something you have no firm solution for, that is an issue with folks, upsets people more than not talking about something you haven't solved yet

PS: this response is the perfect example, it would have been better to have said nothing at all since the subject of this thread has no immediate solution for the majority of those posting, at this particular moment

PPS: we just got an approx. 10% increase in FPS as infantry in beta but that doesn't look like what most are wanting to see happen, my impression is your issues are more signifigant than that

Thanks for the head up on the subject DOC.

Something like "OK guyz we know that there is an issue with the predicator code or whatever, we haven't work on it yet but we know that it exists and it creates frustration for many ground players. We fix the bunny hopping from 1.30 and matamor is happy. But we're too busy right now with 1.32 and 1.33. Hope you consider it (...) we have to make choices in our RDP. We appreciate your patience and your input on the subject" would just re-ensure people, that isn't an isolated problem from 2-3 players. This thread has 6 pages, dozens of differents subscribers posted in it.

Many many players on both sides comes from the quake generation. Well maybe more playing axis. They want real snap action with cqb inside cps and bunkers as targets. When they get killed by an unrendered enemy (thanks to the spin camera when you die), you have to inform the programmers and their team.

mat

yup

the experience you don't have, but we do, is we have had a hundred threads just like this, and answered them all, and it's still the same

we can never say enough, even if we actually do ;)

Silence isn't always the best answer. In this case, I was wondering whether the status quo was considered better by the Rats, since it does seem to have helped warping issues, which must have been an earache for years.

Also, I don't expect people to be perfect, but I do expect them to own up to what they do. Silence gives the impression that everything is ok, or that the people responsible are avoiding the users. The first is a lie like Sony or Microsoft would tell. The second is just a little disappointing.

Anyway, with this out of the way, I'll see if I can find that donation page. (If it's gone, you waited too long to speak to us!)

PPS: we just got an approx. 10% increase in FPS as infantry in beta but that doesn't look like what most are wanting to see happen' date=' my impression is your issues are more signifigant than that[/quote']

I know Rats play the game all the time (relatively speaking). If 'your issues' means that Rats aren't seeing it yourselves, that's interesting. And bully for FPS increases. (not sarcastic)

- Teggs

yup

the experience you don't have, but we do, is we have had a hundred threads just like this, and answered them all, and it's still the same

we can never say enough, even if we actually do ;)

Not a fast twitch player. Far from it at 45 years old. Guess thats the issue. Its experience I dont have. Maybe time to experience a new game.

For a while anyway...

Edited by firedome

To hell with any system that doesn't reward low ping players over high ping players..

bye then, enjoy your gaming on local servers and never meeting anyone online more than 100 miles away from your home :):rolleyes: