Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Infantry lag kills issues in town #4669

matamor

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOPHUR

• Lob12

• matamor

• delems

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. With all these new infantry models coming, and prior to this, this should be a P1.

Any updates Gophur/MM/Doc? I know you said spring but many many people outside their subs (and inside) are waiting for a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Rarely see the CP lag anymore, cause I'm never in the CP! But, I have started to notice a bit of the lag out of the the CPs, which I have have never noticed before. Maybe it's because I'm doing most of my play out of CPs now. In any event, this really needs to be looked into as it really interferes with infantry play.

As for my opinion, give me back warping infantry. Better to see some one warping and having a chance to kill them, verses be killed and never even see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping threads does not usually get a new feature in faster. It does make more work for me though...

So anyway. There is some stuff going on behind the scenes here but nothing that could yet be called feature worth. Meaning it might all be vapor ware.

Oliver has been messing with the data stream to improve efficiency. this is follow through on us eliminating dial up connections in 1.31. Ramp and Oliver have a plan in the wings for some more dramatic changes after that but as with every other time we've improved on this (and most of them really were improvements) until i see it, I don't really have much to say about its potential.

Now go away. I'm trying to get a beta out!!!

And get of my lawn!

*grumbles and mutters*

An idea I came up for helping to reduce lag. Slow the infantry run speed down by 20 to 25%. (not walking, just the run/sprint)

Then, since moving slower, they won't warp near as much. So, you can get rid of any prediction code. To make up for the slower infantry running speed, have the stamina reduce at a slower rate (while running) so they don't get tired as fast and thus can run just as far in the same approximate amount of time.

The lag in CPs (and around corners) is terrible since a release or two ago and really needs to be examined.

The lag in CPs (and around corners) is terrible since a release or two ago and really needs to be examined.

The predictor gets involved when your client doesn't receive one or more update packets, because the net ate them or for some other reason, and knows that it has to do something about units that are moving.

Slowing down the infantry run speed would have undesirable tactical effects on infantry gameplay, and wouldn't fix anything for ground vehicles or aircraft.

A better solution that I think KFS1 might have previously mentioned might be to increase the packet frequency, using the already-budgeted bandwidth that's freed up by the KFS1 work that Gophur mentions. With more frequent packets, having one not be received still causes the predictor to become involved, but the scale of the potential predictor error is decreased in proportion to the frequency increase.

Maybe as a crazy idea it'd be possible for the client to maintain a metric of how often the predictor engages. Then the server could keep track of which clients were having packet receipt problems and that relatively small number of clients could have some sort of QoS functionality added to their stream, without applying such extra bandwidth wastefully to the whole system.

I don't believe the predictor only kicks in when missing packets. If that is true, I only miss packets in CPs... or I miss packets all the time. But, a quick check at my network stats show no missed packets most of the time (or VERY low occurrence).

Again, I don't believe the lag is due to the network. As has been said so many times already, this was never an issue before. Something changed for the worse. (ok, maybe the network code on their side changed). But my provider and system has not changed. So, no reason for me to suddenly get errors (unless again the errors are induced on their side).

I don't see how slowing down running can hurt. Besides, if you time your soldier in a 100m dash in this game, it's pretty dang awfully quick (thread on this somewhere). If people don't move as fast, they won't warp across the screen as the distance moved will be less per time period, and thus no need for predictor code.

You can't fix internet lag when you're playing with people from anywhere to west coast USA to Finland. New patch caused new lag for alot of people' date=' it's just something we're gonna have to deal with.[/quote']

Why is it something we have to "deal with"? There have been times this wasn't a problem. After 1.31 it was really bad but for some reason it did improve. In fact I wasn't having the problem anymore until recently. If it was running smoothly at one time then it can run smoothly again. It might be something CRS has to look for but it isn't something we have to just accept as if there is no fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, still seems weird, day before yesterday a guy 'appear' at the top of stairs and got me, depressing.

Since I basically only play infantry, I'm about ready to just get a trial account, seems silly to pay for a war game and not be able to battle your opponent up close? All I can do is sneak around or sit in a SP. When I venture out and about and meet anyone on the field or in a CP, I just die (i.e. can't battle one on one). Now, I suppose I could just be terrible, but I'm pretty battle savoy and have an excellent system, so shouldn't I at least win half the battles?

On a positive note, I lowered my visual settings to medium and now am playing with labels off and HUD off a lot more. Now, maybe it's just psychology, but I seem to have less issues with the lag. I even saw a LMG run up the stairs in a CP and around the railing, and the best part, I actually killed him too, (of course he killed me too).

So, going to keep playing with labels and HUD off and try and see if it really makes any difference.

As usual its adapt and overcome.

Personally when immobile in a cp I got maybe 10% chance of surviving an attack.

So i just have to run around in the cp at most times in order to compensate the lag.

It's rather annoying though as a solution.

As usual its adapt and overcome.

Personally when immobile in a cp I got maybe 10% chance of surviving an attack.

So i just have to run around in the cp at most times in order to compensate the lag.

It's rather annoying though as a solution.

To an extent, we will just have to adapt to this, to avoid simukills, but the current predictor is borked, making even simukills hard to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...
did you tried the beta mat?

thought it was more fluid.

tried it when it was first released, more fluid but we had 10 people connected, no planes buzzing and no armors spawning madly cause enemy has capped a spawnable

real stress test would be live!

tried it when it was first released, more fluid but we had 10 people connected, no planes buzzing and no armors spawning madly cause enemy has capped a spawnable

real stress test would be live!

yeah I know but that kind of lag happens to me even when theres not a lot of people around me on live so...

soyons optimistes ;)

And the only thing that could have realistically made a difference got pushed into 1.34. (KFS1's new grid system).

Ok, I still don't go in CPs very often, but I have made many changes to my system and it does seem like the lag might be a bit better. Though, maybe it is just psychological or I'm just getting used to it. That and I revamped and overhauled my play style.

I still say this is the number one issue for me, no doubt about it, it effects my play substantially and cause me to rage big time and think of switching to trial or just quit. But, I do enjoy the game and want it to succeed, so I keep playing and trying.

Changes I made:

play without HUD on (as much as possible)

play without labels on

increased my network download speed 400%

decreased my ping 20%

eliminated clutter option

balanced settings

reduced visual limit to medium

reduced number of bodies to about 1/4 and time they hang around 1/4

Again, no real substantial proof that lag is any better, but I seem to be getting more kills and doing a bit better. However, I still rarely go in CPs so I guess to really know I would have to sit a CP a bunch (which I'm NOT about to do!)

Slow infantry run speeds down, get rid of predictor and let the infantry battle mono e mono!

I love radial clutter.

I dont get any of these 'lag' issues or warping or 'cp lag' U guys need better PC's.

I love radial clutter.

I dont get any of these 'lag' issues or warping or 'cp lag' U guys need better PC's.

yeah sure :rolleyes:

And the only thing that could have realistically made a difference got pushed into 1.34. (KFS1's new grid system).

What? darn it.