Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Infantry lag kills issues in town #4669

matamor

I will agree that 1.32 has made an improvement on this issue, but it is still there, only not as delayed as before.

now you'll die but you get to see just a small bit of the enemy like maybe their gun barrel coming around the corner, or part of their elbow.

Thanks whitten. I was wondering if the changes had any noticeable effect. I'll pass that along to the team.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOPHUR

• Lob12

• matamor

• delems

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say if this is better or not really. I does seem like it might be a tad better, but, that just might be that I don't go in CPs very often anymore and when I am, I'm usually hyper vigilant.

Can't say if this is better or not really. I does seem like it might be a tad better' date=' but, that just might be that I don't go in CPs very often anymore and when I am, I'm usually hyper vigilant.[/quote']

I'm the same, I've adapted the way I play in order to work around the problem but a couple of times I have still been killed by an ei that hasn't come around the corner yet on my screen.

I didn't read the patch notes recently (too eager to just get in game!), was this problem even addressed in them?

I definitly would love to see the lag warfare in this game dissapear. RATS i truly hope you are reading this and are taking it very seriously. The lag in this game completely destroys the Infantry gameplay. I love what you're doing for us when it comes to graphics, but i feel you are wasting your time if those upgraded infantry models are just warping everywhere when it comes to CQB.

I feel like this should be TOP priority and should not be taken lightly. The lag deaths are what cause people to quit in rage and hit that unsubscription button. I want this game to grow in population...so let's find a solution to this. I like to play Infantry the most, i can't stand the way CQB is though...Thanks. I'm glad to see everyone bringing this to the RATS attention. Keep it up!

Played a little last night, didnt seem any better for me. In fact might be a little worse outside the CP's.

I was hiding in a bush outside a CP, ei ran past me about 30m away. I had LMG'd him, but he kept running - I shot him when he was infront of a berm, but he was still running as I saw him disappear over the other side of the berm. I wasnt sure if I got him or not, so I went over to that location, and his corpse was about 3m past the berm on the other side. Pretty sure I was the one who got him since I got a kill credit.

Dont know if this is related or not, but I am also having a problem with the AA guns. I'll be tracking an ea getting the range while firing, and the gun will stop firing after about 3-5 shots, I have to keep pressing the trigger to keep the gun firing - this happens with the bofors and the 20mm german AA. This seems like studder thing, but just curious if it could be related.

Since the last minor patch, you run and you get killed .5 - 1 sec later behind your position or a wall. It happens more often inside town cp building. With the death camera and the blood, you can clearly see that you weren't in a position to get killed. I talked to some players and many observed it.

Any fix coming? Thanks.

Right !

Your maximum speed is 5.280001m/s (beta 1.31.0.28).

If you die on another client at door, packets will walk to you 200ms usualy. It represent 5.280001//1000*200 = 1m.

Right ?

You can die 1 meter behind wall, where will started ragdoll animation and you wil finish flight at speed 5m/s next 5 meters later.

Right ?

All other is server latency and client latency.

Questions are: where was finished your flight, where you got hit on your client.

Death behind wall is not posible remove 100%.

I definitly would love to see the lag warfare in this game dissapear. RATS i truly hope you are reading this and are taking it very seriously. The lag in this game completely destroys the Infantry gameplay. I love what you're doing for us when it comes to graphics, but i feel you are wasting your time if those upgraded infantry models are just warping everywhere when it comes to CQB.

I feel like this should be TOP priority and should not be taken lightly. The lag deaths are what cause people to quit in rage and hit that unsubscription button. I want this game to grow in population...so let's find a solution to this. I like to play Infantry the most, i can't stand the way CQB is though...Thanks. I'm glad to see everyone bringing this to the RATS attention. Keep it up!

THIS ^

Everyting else needs to go on hold untill this can be addressed. I dont understand why it is taking so long to sort this one out. it is a game killer.

From R. Lee Ermey "fix it now you Jack Wagon"

or how bout "MM make me a sammich"

or "bump every10mins"

or "please!"

or "gonna unsubscribe"

or anything that will get a response....

How's it going. Any clues.... ?

Right !

Your maximum speed is 5.280001m/s (beta 1.31.0.28).

If you die on another client at door, packets will walk to you 200ms usualy. It represent 5.280001//1000*200 = 1m.

Right ?

You can die 1 meter behind wall, where will started ragdoll animation and you wil finish flight at speed 5m/s next 5 meters later.

Right ?

All other is server latency and client latency.

Questions are: where was finished your flight, where you got hit on your client.

Death behind wall is not posible remove 100%.

Oh, very sorry RATs, i was make mistakes in my design.

Shooter have delayed view at target, about 200ms, he kill your "shadow" and responce take another 200ms. Real number is cca 400ms for Europe.

If the lag is really caused by high latency you have to really question how much latency some people have. Sometimes we're talking about multiple seconds between actions in game. In the situation of a person lagging into the building I'm assuming the issue is the time between the attacking player updating position to the server' date=' then the server sending that information to the defender. To actually have 2 or 3 seconds lag before that player is seen entering the room pings would have to be in the thousands! 1 second is 1000 milliseconds, average ping to a US server in smaller games for me is 130m/s. So if I'm storming a CP, and the defender is another Brit I'd expect the delay to be around 300m/s not even close to seconds! My ping in Australian hosted games is more like 200m/s, so half a second latency seems more reasonable, but we're seeing much longer gaps than that.[/quote']

Ok but it also has to calculate everything thats moving, wait for one client whose ping lags behind the others, check for time out, I can see it piling into 2 seconds lag very easily if everyone averages even 90ms pings

oops, forgot to comment.

yeah, I feel like I need to back away from all infantry by about 50 yards to have any chance. Mind you, Im playing on a wireless across the house and ought to really notice this problem often. Is there a best method for testing this problem on the live server?

Edited by alexande

Probably have two accounts logged ion next to each other and play with it over the same connections. That's what I do at the office.

• 2 weeks later...

I was try to record sync video before time syncing by ntp on 2 PC at Prague (both UPC average ping 235ms at training server), but syncing failed after overload by fraps reconding and time become unsynced (-2s after hour of testing).

Conditions:

• shot EI before road sign (place)
  • sync video by beep via task scheduler (time - failed)
  • Low res 1280x720
  • best performance (visible player limit high)
  • 0 AA
  • 0 AF

here is a video synced by ragroll animation only (11MB), it shows delay which may be calculate by interaction

Result of unsynced video (one PC only)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Target view:

The lower timecode is started when the target reach target zone (road sign) 0 frames

Shooter view:

The upper timecode is started when the target reach target zone (road sign) 0 frames.

Shooter delay is 27 frames (1s/60fps*27=0.45s, 5.28m/s*0.45=2.376m)

--------------------------The same time------------------------------

Back to the target view:

Muzzle flash is visible at 1,06 (1s/60fps*66=1.1s, 5.28m/s*1.1=5.808m)

Shooter view:

Target is still runnig, but he is watching muzzle flash at my timecode 0.39 (1s/60fps*39=0.65s, 5.28m/s*1.1=3.432m)

--------------------------The same time------------------------------

Back to the target view:

Ragdoll animation is started at 1,18 (1s/60fps*78=1.3s, 5.28m/s*1.3=6.864m)

Shooter view:

Ragdoll animation is started at 0,51 (1s/60fps*51=0.85s, 5.28m/s*1.1=4.488m)

Conclusion

You can die the 7m behind the wall 1.3s later.

But the network delay is 235ms/2+235ms/2=235ms only, 5.28m/s*0.235=1.24m.

Other is client and server latency (1.3s-0.235s=1.06s).

Appendix

PS: I will focus on better syncing of time to bring better result, 3rd independent fraps camera, or recording of 2 PC monitors by camcorder.

Edited by clone9cz

Conclusion

You can die the 7m behind the wall 1.3s later.

But the network delay is 235ms/2+235ms/2=235ms only, 5.28m/s*0.235=1.24m.

Other is client and server latency (1.3s-0.235s=1.06s).

Appendix

PS: I will focus on better syncing of time to bring better result, 3rd independent fraps camera, or recording of 2 PC monitors by camcorder.

Very interesting, thanks clone9cz.

I know that other online games that I have played - like AH2, you should factor in about .5s of delay, but 1.06 - 1.3s wow.

I am in the western US, and seem to get the same kind of lag - yet others do not - so strange. Cmon spring.

Rounding the numbers, it looks like what you are saying is network only accounts for .3 seconds of delay while client and server are 1.0 seconds. This makes sense to me as clearly we never had lag like this in 1.30 (or was it 1.31?)

We all know the network didn't suddenly change, so the lag was introduced on the server or client side. I rarely had lag kills before so the change was pretty big whatever it was (thinking either the new capture code or the slowing down infantry / predictor stuff).

It really has ruined infantry play for me and I have changed my infantry play substantially, I rarely go in CPs anymore and feel I don't have a fair chance one on one. Here's to hoping spring starts early!

This has been ticketed for work in the spring.

That's good news for me since Texas will get into spring temperature before Québec. ;)

Oh and nice video and efforts there clone S!

I was try to record something else, Air crash network issue is another video with next bug.

You can watch it ten times, but network delay can't explane start of explosion on diferent place then real (at building). This video eliminate one way of communication, pilot kill yourself without delay.

Conditions

• shot EI before road sign (place)
  • sync video by beep via task scheduler (time - failed)
  • Low res 1280x720
  • best performance (visible player limit high)
  • 0 AA
  • 0 AF

Result of unsynced video (one PC only)

------------------------------------------------------

Timecode is started at place of accident, at building.

The 11th frame shows first animation of explosion (flash on ground, no fire yet). But there was one droped frame at video. It say 1/60fps*11frames+1/60fps*1frame=0.2s

Conclusion

Network delay is not counted yet. I think about it, but there is something more then network delay.

We have 2 delays, one is delay of positioning (Infantry lag kills issues), second is delay of starting death animation.

We can say: packet of death is slower (0.2s) then packet of position.

Edited by clone9cz

I hooked up my punching bag above door portal near my computer until it get fixed.

d90409d5-6d15-4686-b5b4-ead3b1ec0a86.gif

Edited by matamor

Infantry lag kills issues in town #4669

Is this ever getting fixed ? Just came off the line, LMG'd ei full on and he still had like 1 or 2 seconds to fire back, and KIA my model. Boe !

Ah .. ticketed this Spring I see now. Still hoping that works out...

Edited by dennisb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...